Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Silver Thor! Scream Eaton Scream!
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got it back from paint today, and the left side wont go completely down...i dk what to do...and the hood latch wont completely latch on...but the left side of the hood wont go down...ugh!

what do i do?:(

anyone harwood experience here??

i took off the hood and put my owm back on...

Attachments

·
11 Second Club
15,091 Posts
All hardwood hoods need to be prepped. They suck with fitment.

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
Let em get this straight... You got the hoot painted BEFORE you checked fitment???

·
Cogswell Cogs
3,392 Posts
Never seen anything like that... are you sure the bump stops aren't cranked up too high???

·
Bad Mother F'R
2,732 Posts
You HAVE to get it fitted before you get it painted. They ALL need tweeking. Alot of sanding on the lower rolled edge and stuff. Mine actually sits lower on the passanger side than the drivers side. Some people put an extra set of hood bump stops about half way down to help press that side up. Thats just how they are. Sorry you ran into that bro. Mine also had to tweek the hood latch itself to get it to latch. Any experianced bodyshop can tweek it in for you.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
easy fix dude

you need to raise your grille shell on the passenger side, lift up the headlight to line it up with the grille shell, and then lift up the bumper on the passenger side to close up the gap.
You may also want to remove your fender, install some washers, and reinstall the fender to line it up with the hood.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
The one I got the other day is the exact same way. As other said fitment sucks but prep work is whats gonna get you there. Thats the reason mine hasn't come off the truck yet. Once I get it to fit just right then I will pull it back off sand it down and send it out for paint. Fender washers are your friend most people hate using them but IF you want matching body lines you will have to use some. Check the lip also. I can tell from mine an amateur painted mine originally. He never removed the entire lip on each side and with the rubber bumpers under it if your truck has them it will cause the hood to stick up some like mine does now.

It would have really helped your cause to test fit and sand where necessary prior to paint. Now its gonna be alot harder with damaging anything.

Attachments

·
BLACK SUNSHINE
2,787 Posts
Never seen anything like that... are you sure the bump stops aren't cranked up too high???

This seems to be the best answer I heard thus far.

turn your stop all the way down, and slowly adjust it up as needed to get the perfect alignment.

What does the back of the hood look like on that side? Does it look the same, or is it only the front?

Good luck.

:smt023

·
Whipple Powered
3,850 Posts
HERE IS YOUR SOLUTION: Adjust your hood latch upward!!! I had the same problem and Stew's suggestion in my thread below (with pics) was the answer!

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69076

^In those pics my hood is sitting straight but it is not latched. I was able to get it straight by adjusting the bump stops, but in order to get it to latch down you need to adjust your hood latch assembly.

My hood looked similiar to yours when i first did the test fit. It was crooked on the left side just like yours unless I forced it down. Adjusting the hood latch and playing with the bump stops a bit made mine fit perfectly!

Now if the proper trimming/sanding wasnt done in the first place then you may be SOL.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If your still having problems give me a call at 800-822-3392 and ask for Robert. You are all right about the fit to your truck, but the suggestions about the bump stops and latch are right on. If the painter did not trim any of the lip off that will need to be done first. I can walk you through that if your going to try it yourself. Call if you need to.

·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scarpino-the back of the hood aligns almost the same as the driver side...

And i believe the bump stops were down, unless I didn't double check, cause in the pic, you can see the bump stop isn't touching the hood I believe..and I'll try the hood latch thing, I'm going to go to laurences house (SS this) and we are going to try and work it.

It needs no trimming at all, when I force the left side of the hood down, it's perfect! But as soon as I take my hand off from forcing it down, it goes right back up.. :(

Kpsbolt-I hope that's the problem right there bro!! I really hope so...I'm going to try it later...

This is why I love LR, it has the best help and the best guys who don't mind helping at all!!!

·
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kps- I'm really hoping it'll work! Is it hard to adjust the hood latch?
And keep your hood black! It looks sick like that!!!

Omar-thanks bro!

Josh-I'll prob take it Friday around 12 if it don't fit today bro!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Harwoods can fit properly, but you need a good fiberglass prep person with experience. I read all the horror stories some people had with the hood (after I bought it) and I took it to the shop and explained.....to my surprise I had the truck back the next day ready to go.

It is NOT ready to go on the truck out of the box...there's trimming all the way around it that must be done. I think you may be repainting that hood.

After you get it worked out it will still sag in about the middle of the fender. I got some extra bump stops and lined them up with the height of the fender to prevent that sagging.

Hope you get it worked out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts