Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed yesterday a slight tapping sound at certain RPMS that was random and hard to identify. Today however, the noise is a big more noticable. I took the vid attached by parking along side a brick wall to make the noise louder to record, not as loud as it sounds in the video in real life. I had to be in the drivers seat in order to keep the truck at an RPM that made the noise. Oil pressure is normal. You can hear when I touch the pedal the sound goes away and the tapping is not with every RPM, seems to be sort of random at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19jt4mHxib4

I immediately thought the worst and was getting rod knock. So tonight I drained the oil and cut open the filter. Pic is attached, oil was very clean with no obvious metal in it, I assume a rod knock that loud would have obvious signs of metal in the oil.

I am now leaning towards a flex plate, it does have an aftermarket converter so those nuts have been removed before. I have not checked them yet.

Transmission is stock and shifts/feels fine. Fluid looks/smells normal.

The OBX header is still laying on the passenger side frame which is also causing the sound to resonate EVERYWHERE making it very hard to find.

What I know is the sound is comming from the bottom end and towards the back of motor/front of tranny.

Its always something... lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That's tapping a too fast at idle to be a rod. Have you laid under the truck to hear if its in front or back of the bottum? Loosen the drive belts and check the pulleys and acessories too.

·
Building a fast catfish!!!
15,687 Posts
Honestly it sounds like a collapsed tensior lettin the chain slap....

Sent via my damn droid.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would suck cause they were new OEM iron tensioners that were installed <1000 miles ago. Doesn't sound like it's coming from the front end of the motor though, almost 100% its low and at the back. I'm putting the truck on a lift Friday at a friends house, hopefully we can track the issue down.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Could it be in the bell housing from the torque converter or flexi plate cracked or nuts loose or gearbox oil pump!
Just ideas in my head
Mark

·
Registered
447 Posts
So are you sure it's not the header/frame contact?

What RPM were you at in the video?

Does it do it under load? Like if in gear and holding the brake?

I have an automotive stethoscope we can use while it's here tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was taken at idle, so about 700rpm. It's very possible it's a heat shield or header frame contact that is just reverberating everywhere. It does it in drive and park if that's what your asking. It's goes away as soon as rpms are above idle though. Glad you got a real stethoscope, mine is more the human kind I use, lol.

·
105's Coming Soon!!!
2,359 Posts
Could possibly be the torque coverter especially if it goes away with rpm.

·
Back In A Big Boy Truck
5,395 Posts
Sounds too loud to be inside the engine. I'd vote for heat sheild or something else rattling.

Wayne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts