Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
Other day i was driving home and my truck died. It turned off but if i kept my foot slightly on the pedal it would rev up then died rev up and died i managed to get it to a shop and after the guy looked at it said it needed fuel pumps . I to take it home and fix it myself ..So today i bought 2 new aeromotive stealth 340 pumps put them in and it didn't fix the problem ..

It starts fine but revs up comes to idle and dies out .. If you try and give it gas it shuts off right away .i've looked around for lose wires or vacum hoses off and can't find anything..

any help would be apprecited i'm alrdy 300 in the whole for new fuel pumps

thanks
anthony

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,678 Posts
#1 check for a vacuum leak

#2 check for codes

#3 clean the IAC

·
aka EZTRBO
1,679 Posts
clean MAF

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for responses i tried cleaning the iac and the mass air but still not luck

Was pretty dirty in there i see why u need an oil seperator now ..

couldn't find any vacum leaks looked at every line i could find ..

If there was a code would the check enigine light come on or not all the time ..

thinking i might go buy a new iac really hate to waste more money on stuff i don't need tho

·
Registered
679 Posts
You need to diagnose before you spend a ton of money throwing parts at it. Could even be something as simple as a relay.

Check fuel pressure and see if it's a fuel issue up to the engine or not. If there are codes, the CEL would be on all the time. Also, you could take it to a ford dealer and pay for the hr of diag... MUCH cheaper than playing the guessing game.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should've brought it ford but i figured the mechanic knew what he was talking about thats why i did the fuel pumps ..

anyway to test the iac or mass air meter ?

Your right tho i'll get a gauge tomorrow and check the fuel pressure

·
Registered
679 Posts
Should've brought it ford but i figured the mechanic knew what he was talking about thats why i did the fuel pumps ..

anyway to test the iac or mass air meter ?

Your right tho i'll get a gauge tomorrow and check the fuel pressure
To test the MAF, just unplug it and see if your problem goes away. If it does, then it's the MAF.

When you unplug the MAF the PCM goes to base maps.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ok tried doing that before and the problem still there ..

Silly question but could a fuel filter get so clogged that it would cause this problem i have a bad habit of running my truck down to the bottom
It could if it were to get clogged enough. I would check fuel pressure first, unless it's been a really long time since you have replaced the fuel filter.

Check your air filter and TB too for a restriction. We had an f-150 come in one day because it kept stalling. There was a rat stuck under the blade in the TB. haha.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Holy crap lol..

Yeah i checked and cleaned out the TB earlier today when i was trying to figure it out was pretty dirty and def going to buy an oil seperator ....There was oil down my intake tube and the blades were all nasty ..

Tomorrow i;ll check the fuel pressure and go from there i guess

thanks for the help

·
Registered
415 Posts
Check the fuel pump resister mounted behind the front bumper and above the s/c intercooler pump.
I have the same problem and it was the resister. I am told you can just short the 2 wires but not sure. i tested mine by shorting the wires

·
Registered
415 Posts
I bought mine from a dealership and then had it shipped to the UK

1 - 19 of 19 Posts