Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I hope you all are enjoying your day! Let me make this quick, so i bought an 02 lightning a while ago and im still learning about the modifications done to it and overall still learning about the truck. Basically the truck started misfiring out of nowhere so immediately bought motorcraft spark plugs and COPS to do a full change. Long story short i got it back from the shop, drove a couple of miles and it was still misfiring. The wierd thing is that it had NGK tr6s on before i put the motorcrafts in. Could it be misfiring because i put motorcrafts in instead of the previous tr6s?? Keep in mind i just started taking note of all mods done to it. So far the list i see is
-caltracs
-oil seperator
-JLP Cai
-accufab TB
-flowmasters
-and also i think they changed the sc pulley. Probably a 2.70.. definitely not stock tho
-also has a boost/vac gauge.
- and ofcourse the previous ngk tr6 that i swapped for motorcrafts
Basically what i want to know is if motorcraft plugs could make my truck misfire if it had ngk tr6 before.. thank you everyone for your time!

·
local painter
3,196 Posts
Any codes?

·
AntiSocial
21 BMW M550i xDrive, 18 Chevy Equinox LT 2.0T
921 Posts
P0304 is a misfire on cylinder 4.

Reactions: SVTjune

·
Registered
941 Posts
Plugs gapped properly? Somebody correct me if im wrong but tr6s r 1 heat range colder than stock and need to be gapped around .030 i think. Also make for sure the coil packs "snap" on the plug when reinstalling them and make sure they are plugged in good. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It had one, i forget the code but it was a misfire on cylinder #4. As of now the code is gone due to a reset :/
Make sure plug gaps are around .030- .032. If they are good. Check connections on plug to coil pack from wire harness Next check injectors. Swap injectors to see if problems go away , if not check compression on engine
i wasthinking maybe the injectors are clogged, I’ll check them and hopefully it helps! Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plugs gapped properly? Somebody correct me if im wrong but tr6s r 1 heat range colder than stock and need to be gapped around .030 i think. Also make for sure the coil packs "snap" on the plug when reinstalling them and make sure they are plugged in good. Hope this helps.
To be honest i didnt check the gap, i was told they were pregapped :/ the coils are sitting snug.. I’ll keep the gap in mind!! Thank u

·
local painter
3,196 Posts
The plastic locks on the COP connectors are prone to breaking. Tug on the connectors and make sure they are locked on.

Reactions: Certified Drunk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
"To be honest i didnt check the gap,"

Sir,
Surely you jest?!! When the lady at the bank cashes your check, do you accept she's right, or do you count it?

My point, Sir, is you can never assume ANYTHING with regards to your engine. It doesn't matter if your Mother tapped the plugs....check. Now, pull them damn plugs out and check'em !

Keith

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Damn spell check...not "tapping" but rather "tapped". I changed it twice and spell check STILL got it wrong

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Who replaced the plugs and COPs? You or the dealer? If the dealer and they were not aware of the mods, they probably made the situation worse and perhaps dangerous to your engine.

·
worlds fastest MP lightning
1,578 Posts
My friend did you by any chance take a look at the plugs that was taken out, and more importantly The # (4)plug) in question?
What did it look like ? the plugs would help in telling you what’s going on, also what is the mileage on the motor? Before I would touch anything I would have the old plugs looked at, I’m assuming you STILL have the old plugs ? hopefully it’s not a major problem ?? Wishing you the best ???BTW if you want to talk this is my # (609) 731-1265 feel free to call me anytime ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd check the clips first...I have had them break on several mustangs as well...….

Reactions: SVTjune

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My friend did you by any chance take a look at the plugs that was taken out, and more importantly The # (4)plug) in question?
What did it look like ? the plugs would help in telling you what’s going on, also what is the mileage on the motor? Before I would touch anything I would have the old plugs looked at, I’m assuming you STILL have the old plugs ? hopefully it’s not a major problem ?? Wishing you the best ???BTW if you want to talk this is my # (609) 731-1265 feel free to call me anytime ?
Sorry for such a late reply!! Still no progress. I have a picture of the old plugs taken out. They’re probably the worst set of plugs I’ve seen taken out of a car before. Im guessing the previous owner didnt care to much to change them out? I dont know if im able to upload a picture here or not

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Who replaced the plugs and COPs? You or the dealer? If the dealer and they were not aware of the mods, they probably made the situation worse and perhaps dangerous to your engine.
One of my mechanic friends helped me, we didnt do any gapping ourselves, i might as well check on them again! I would like to mention that i cleaned the fuel injectors and it did make a difference on how it ran. But still misfires on higher rpms

1 - 19 of 19 Posts