Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the whole lightning scene, had mustangs for a while, im really interested in dropping the truck, but i dont know where to look, i want to do a 3/5 or a 4/6 kit. But i dont know who makes them and whats the price range or if they sell a complete kit. Can someone please help me out, i want to do it in about 2 weeks, so i need to start ordering parts. And also would i have to do a cnotch for the 3/5? Help Help Help!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried the search button and gone through over 50 threads and have found nothing. if not i wouldn't be wasting space starting a new threat...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
it seems like there's 10 ways to get the same drop, that's why i suggested that you find a truck with the stance you want and ask them. it comes down to price as well, some guys spend a hundred dollars and some spend thousands:cheers

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
no one really makes a kit for that kind of drop. its more of a combination of parts from people. try hotchkis, belltech, JLP. find 1sweetsvt i believe is his name IIR he has a 5/7 or something close.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Off the top of my head I want to do a 3 inch in the front so I was wondering if anyone makes a 3 inch drop coil, I wanna keep the stock upper and lower control arms, and for the rear just a hanger and shackle kit? For a 5 in the rear? I've heard of shock extenders, not really sure what those are nor what they do? I think western chassis makes a 3/5 drop just like that but I'm not sure if there any good? And also I've heard of people removing leaf springs or buying a leaf spring kit for belltech? I'm just trying to find out what parts will give me what drop without notching the frame.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My truck has a 3.5"/4.5" and the front bumper just tags the ground on steep driveways and the rear is extremely close to the frame, but does not touch with QA1 coil-overs. I had a Belltech hanger drop, which I liked with the lowest setting but the axle did hit the frame on hard bumps. I don't know if you would want to go any lower, because front bumper covers are expensive, and I have replaced one already.

And this is with 20" wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
so you just have drop spindles from belltech and leafs and shackles? and its that much of a drop? do you have any clearance issues? i would like to get my truck just as low as yours if not lower

i also cut a half coil off the stock springs and left the rubber iso's off. also run the the shock extenders with stock shocks. ive still got about 2.5-3 inches of clearance between the axle housing and the bed frame.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did a 3/4 drop from belltech:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BEL-921ND/

After installing the rear spring hanger and drop shackle it was way too low in the rear and I didn't get the full 3" in the front. So I just put the stock rear hangers in and it leveled right out. I very rarely hit the bump stops in the rear and never up front. A pretty good kit for the price and it handles pretty good. I am still thinking of running the 2" drop spindles, throwing the drop hangers in the rear and some QA1's to keep from hitting the bumps stops in the rear. That should tuck the wheels nicely. Happy hunting!
:bigtu

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have question since I'm lowering my truck next week so to lower the front can I jus cut the stock spring and get a decent amount of drop? Or should I go with drop springs
Cutting one full coil out of the stock spring will lower the truck for sure. You may inherit a "harsher" ride quality, but even lowering springs will do the same. FYI, you may want to start your own thread and get much more info than asking insdie someone else's thread. Cheers!

:cheers

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,398 Posts
For the front, consider Belltech drop spindles and you'll drop "2 right there. Possibly add a set of Eibach drop spings and that should give you another 1.75" (they tell you 2" but its only 1.75"). Out back the cheapest drop is a set of JLP 4" shackles. As low as you're talking its a mix of ideas, and I'd probably be looking at hangers and a C-Notch, remove a leaf and add traction bars. TVS leafs will give you almost 4" by themselves.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh alright. So I just figured out I need to do my control arm bushings anyways, so I'm thinking about getting the upper and lower control arms from DJM and probably springs up front, my only concern is the rear, what if I go with a flip kit from djm? How low will that get me? Or would I still have to get hanger/shackles and a tvs leaf kit?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
the flip kit depends on how far u wanna go with the truck. if u plan on going built and making alot of power dont do it. SS This had it and i beleive he bent his with a hard launch. when i do mine next month ima go with the tvs leafs and the JLP shackle on the low setting. should be around 4.5 or close to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
jhager172
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing