Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Ive been rounding up the parts to put a complete L supercharger on my NA 5.4 truck...have the last of the parts coming in the next couple days so Im ready to start the swap, and the truck is coming apart tomorrow and will hopefully be running this weekend!!! Do you guys have any last minute things I should check / address before it all goes on?

Its a brand new HD complete s/c assembly and then all the rest of the parts pieced together, heres what Ive already done:

checked the oil in the s/c...its topped off and oil looks good BUT its 9-10 years old, would you guys change it or just run it as is?

painting misc brackets

tagging wiring harness

inventory all parts & clean them

If anyone that has done this swap has any advice please let me know, Ive read and read and read but Ill take all the advice I can get! THANKS!

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
change the blower oil..its real easy and good insurance since you know its fresh. if you cant get blower oil from ford or a gm dealer, Mobile 1 10w30 full syn will work as well. just take your time and take few breaks in between to relax and cool down.make sure all gaskets are also in good shape and bolts are not cross threaded/damaged.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
probably a good call on the oil, Ill try to get some tomorrow. Im planning on doing it in a few stages each day after work and have a plan written down of most of everything Im hoping to get done each day

ya I already did a 5.4 / 4r100 / 9.75 swap, now Im adding the blower, complete L wiring, L comp, L dual pump hat, swapping the cluster, etc so basically making the truck think its a 2002 lightning like you did...you will probably be hearing from me soon! are you very happy with the results?

·
Dude
2,368 Posts
Finished mine at the end of Feb. Same thing. Already got 10,000 mi on it. Did it all at once. Coming from a very tired 4.6(262,000 mi) to a low mi. 5.4 w/SC and trans. Its like going from riding a tractor to driving a supercar.:bolt If you follow everything the guys on here say you are in good hands.(Except for the boost modulator thats for newbies! Rman!!!!) And take your time to think things through. If done right you will be rewarded Big Time.Have fun!!:smt023 Any questions??:smt102 Just ask
:rockon_ford
My threads in the Special build section under F-150's, Misc.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what about blinker fluid, muffler bearings, and supercharger waste gate controller valve?

glad to hear the big difference, I cant wait to drive it once its done! I dont think its going to be too bad, I was looking at everything in the garage and thinking man there is way less to this than my complete drivetrain swap! Ive got a couple buddies helping that really know thier stuff and other than having ford reprogram the pats system I think we are going to be able to knock this thing out pretty quick!

intercooler & everything else is pretty much brand new, probably gonna go ahead and change the blower oil though

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blacktop / killerrider / boss1984 what are you guys running for aftermarket mods, pulley sizes (boost level), and custom tuning? Im gonna start off a basically a full stock L setup and then go from there

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
Lightnings are slow..

You saw mine in person yesterday.. It even looked slow. When ever you get that thing on the road, lemme know so I don't go pickin fights with any "regular looking" crew cab F150s. :p

Wish you the best bro, if you need a hand lemme know.:cheers

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
blacktop / killerrider / boss1984 what are you guys running for aftermarket mods, pulley sizes (boost level), and custom tuning? Im gonna start off a basically a full stock L setup and then go from there
Well I built my NA block and eventually went with the L swap so I'm heavily modified and a stock L motor won't take what I have. If i were you, just get the swap done and make sure it runs good and enjoy it for a while. I use Diablosport for tuning. Some others use SCT.. Find a reputable tuner or get an email tune from a vendor on here and use the programmer they want u to use

With my heads/cams/exhaust I make 15-16psi with a 2.76/8lb lower
Patriot stage 2 cams/ comp cams/ full 3" exhaust

I went from mid 250hp to mid 450 hp after the swap. It was definitely a night and day difference, and it's been progressing ever since

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,683 Posts
I just did the opposite swap on Saturday...went from S/C to N/A (did the N/A to S/C last May/June lol going back to stock).

It's really a piece of cake, just take your time. Did the full swap back to stock in about 7-8 hours working by myself and taking my time with the usual distractions here and there. Probably take a bit longer the 1st time around but it's really not bad at all.

I'm sure you've worked with madenterprise with doing the swap, he's the king guru on this conversion!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya I dont think it will be too bad, just looking for things ive overlooked...and yes MAD is the man! Mike has been a HUGE help!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
only if you fill your blower with nuts and bolts and let me start your truck!

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,683 Posts
don't forget to fill the crankcase with water and turn it over before firing her up.
actually on that note, make sure you drain the coolant before you pull the lower intake manifold off. Otherwise some coolant from the manifold and upper radiator hose and heater core hoses can run down and into the cylinders if you unbolt the lower intake manifold and release the pressure holding the lower intake gaskets in place.

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
did you get the boost conditioning modulator? Everyone that does the swap forgets about that one.
OK OK you don't need the boost modulator but you definitely need to convert to the forced induction o-pipe and synthetic pedal cluster
don't forget to fill the crankcase with water and turn it over before firing her up.

Damnit rman, if you weren't around I'd be having all types of troubles, glad I read your post first to prevent, future problems

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,678 Posts
IF you're using the N/A harness don't forget to move the IAT sensor wires to the sensor on the manifold...

when datalogging on this setup IAT1 is actually IAT2...

·
Dude
2,368 Posts
IF you're using the N/A harness don't forget to move the IAT sensor wires to the sensor on the manifold...

when datalogging on this setup IAT1 is actually IAT2...
Good call Stoffer,
Mxr,
I just did the mods that make all motors work better. More air/fuel in,then get it out as fast as possible. So I did Cai Intake,twin 235 lph pumps SBTB, Headers,custom 3"exhaust, first. I also build for reliability so I added a Trans Cooler and Factory Tech valve body.It s my daily driver so reliabilty is key.:smt023
Also little bit of comfort doesnt hurt for the long hauls. I'm getting ready to do a 6# pulley and a bigger MAF

Attachments

1 - 20 of 158 Posts