Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stock block, stock crank, Mahle I beam rod's, Diamond zero deck coated pistons, reduced mass wrist pins, Diamond rings, TFS 185 heads, Crower 125# springs, Crower .580 lift 109 separation cams, adjustable cam sprockets, Cloyes chain kit, stock chain tensioners, TFS lash adjusters, Ford motor sports 4v rockers, innovators west stock size balancer, Melling oil pump, Fel Pro head gaskets, Accufab rear cover, all ARP fasteners

Line honed, bored .010 over, decked, rotating assembly balanced, Degreed, crack polished

So the first thing is the TFS head guides. There is plenty of stories about the machining of the guides being wrong and they prematurely wear out and drop valves.
I expressed my concern to my builder and sense the springs were being changed they would inspect. I was called at some point due to the TFS rockers that I supplied were rubbing on either the valve stem retainers and or keepers.
So it was built with 4v rockers to clear.

· 10 second street truck
13,158 Posts
stock block, stock crank, Mahle I beam rod's, Diamond zero deck coated pistons, reduced mass wrist pins, Diamond rings, TFS 185 heads, Crower 125# springs, Crower .580 lift 109 separation cams, adjustable cam sprockets, Cloyes chain kit, stock chain tensioners, TFS lash adjusters, Ford motor sports 4v rockers, innovators west stock size balancer, Melling oil pump, Fel Pro head gaskets, Accufab rear cover, all ARP fasteners

Line honed, bored .010 over, decked, rotating assembly balanced, Degreed, crack polished

So the first thing is the TFS head guides. There is plenty of stories about the machining of the guides being wrong and they prematurely wear out and drop valves.
I expressed my concern to my builder and sense the springs were being changed they would inspect. I was called at some point due to the TFS rockers that I supplied were rubbing on either the valve stem retainers and or keepers.

Your cams have to much lift
I think max lift on a tf head is .575

The guides in the tf heads are powder metal and will crack. They should've replaced them with bronze guides.

· 10 second street truck
13,158 Posts
Here's a dude with .595 cams ruining parts

· 10 second street truck
13,158 Posts
Here's jj's thoughts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so it just the guide material and not improper placement of the hole? LS7 427 Linamar heads were machined out of line on the plane. From what I understand when the rocker pushed onto the valve it was pushing it horizontaly/on a moment, causing the guide to fail. Is this a TFS issue?

· 10 second street truck
13,158 Posts
so it just the guide material and not improper placement of the hole? LS7 427 Linamar heads were machined out of line on the plane. From what I understand when the rocker pushed onto the valve it was pushing it horizontaly/on a moment, causing the guide to fail. Is this a TFS issue?
No. It's just less than stellar material used. And it's not always an issue. But it's an easy fix when the heads are off

You've gotta stop comparing your ls shit to mod motor shit. They're are no similarities

· 10 second street truck
13,158 Posts

I've gotta ask who spec'd those cams?

109 lsa is pretty odd for a forced induction cam.

For reference my custom cams are
237/239
.556/.556
114 lsa

1 - 20 of 35 Posts