Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm where to begin... I love the sound of the JDM silver bullet catback and I also love the sound of the classic bassani catback exhaust, but I have always had a thing for trying out something different from the norm... I wanted to try out the borla xr-1 sportsmans on my lightning for quite sometime now, and finally decided to give it a whack...

I chose the magnaflow true flow x-pipe and two 12" borla xr-1 sportsman mufflers for this setup... I chose a muffler shop that in the end I felt should have done a better job, but everything came out okay I guess  :-? [smilie=fingersx.gif] :)

BEFORE I got a hold of the x-pipe I wanted to hear how the borlas would sound as is without an x-pipe, so I ended up ditching the BBQ pit looking stock muffler and had the xr-1's welded on up in its place... DAMN, when I started the lightning I noticed the difference, it was obvious I had upgraded mufflers! :D I loved the low raspy growl of the xr1's BUT one thing AT FIRST I did not like was the WOT stomp I gave it when I came out the muffler shop... sounded like I had cherry bombs on it hehehehehheh [smilie=laugh.gif]

THE SOUND was nothing like I how I expected and KNEW RIGHT away I needed the x-pipe!!!!!  [smilie=popcorn.gif] [smilie=fingersx.gif] I do admit though for still having the four stock cats that bastard was noticeably loud without the x-pipe! LOL  [smilie=laugh.gif]

I ended up getting the x-pipe a few days later and went to a different shop that I had used in the past to do all of the exhaust work for my stangs. I handed the ol' boy my x-pipe told him what I wanted to do and he went to work... I feel he did an alright job, but I think there is still room for improvement, then again I have been sometimes labeled a perfectionist at something’s and cast scrutiny at certain things as such.

The result... a more MELLOW sound when I turned the L on with the new x-pipe installed. I kind of figured things would tone down at startup and idle, but this x-pipe was a night and day difference for startup sound and idle sound! I must say that with the x-pipe installed I noticed the angry growl the x-pipe gives the xr1's which is a quality I was looking for in doing this custom exhaust setup.  Also the WOT cherrybomb sound is GONE and was replaced by a mean growling sound at WOT! I love the sound so much! It is so different from what I have heard.  Thanks mr. x-pipe :D

The cruising sound is a more refined modified stockish like sound with a nice purring growl, but the sound is evidence enough to know that the stock muffler is no way on the L.  Sleeper exhaust, I tell ya! I LOVE IT!

I did have a problem along the way which REALLY scared the shit out of me when I experienced it... [smilie=eek4.gif]

As mentioned I had installed the mufflers first without the x-pipe, ran the truck for a few days and then installed the x-pipe... I encountered a weird problem the very evening I had pulled away from the muffler shop and when I floored the gas pedal...

Well, when I floored the gas pedal I heard the Eaton wind up and the truck get ready to shoot out like a midget in a circus cannon, and then all of a sudden I heard a "pop" sound and bammmmmm... the truck TURNED OFF... I saw nothing but a Knight Rider display of dash lights including the odometer blanking out and then displaying (-----------) dashes instead of numbers, I coasted and pulled over to the side of the road, tried to start the L and then after a few cranks she finally started up...

*break* To list my mods, I have a: 2# pulley, OLD BLUE Superchips chip set on the aggressive tune (all tuned for 91 octane  [smilie=eek4.gif] ), SBTB, E-FAN, LINE MOD VALVE, Deep Sump Trans Pan & Filter, CAI, HighFlow Water Pump and TR6 plugs gapped @ .039, boost bypass mod, Oil Breather Cap, crazy driver :)

I drove the truck home and noticed she was pinging a bit at the lower [email protected] I was like hmmmm.... I just did the plugs about less than 1200 miles ago, last week I just changed out the fuel filter and MADE SURE it was positioned in the correct flow path... Did the oil about a week ago as well... I was like hmmmmmmm???? Temp that evening was about 55 degrees, nice cool air :)

Well the day after that ordeal occurred I took the truck out again for quick test spin,
I had the truck running for over an hour just babying it, then on my way home I decided to give it a quick stomp to try and replicate the problem and sure enough I was able to :sad:

It loaded up and BAMMMMMM just completely died out on me... I was able to start her up right away and just babied her back home... :sad:

I went online and surfed all of the L boards for answers... I have read threads about the hego fuse deal, I have read threads about the chip not making contact with the connecting pins after while and that they need to be secured with duct tape and even a thread about the switch going AWOL due to inactive use and it loosing solid contact due to such and so on and so on... I checked my hego fuse and it was fine, I pulled the rear o2's out to inspect the wiring and so forth for frays, burns etc... no frays, cuts, burns but I did notice that my rear o2's were blacker than night  :-? , I cleaned them off with a rag and after inspection I reinstalled them. I did not check the chip for secureness, however I flicked the switch to my chip more than a dozen times or so as suggested in one of the threads I viewed... FINALLY, I reset the computer and afterwards I started her up in the street program and she idled fine and I took her out for a test drive and nailed it and she didn't cut out on me  :-? :shock: I did notice a low end pinging flutter sound still so I resumed cruising in chill mode... Interesting...

Sorry for the mini-story, just thought I would share my experience and get some opinions from my dearly beloved members of LR :)

Below are the pics of my exhaust... as I said I think there is MUCH room for improvement.

Thanks for your viewing time peeps :D OHHH BTW, I will be getting a sound clip real soon to add to our sound clip file base :)

-Chris

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Ok so it's a little ugly under there,  :D
But I still Love you
ya like a red headed step brother with freckles  [smilie=laugh.gif]
WHO CARES, I think it looks great, and unless peeps lay under your truck, no one would ever know. My guess is, mine will be even more original when we're done  :smt045

You said
FINALLY, I reset the computer and afterwards I started her up in the street program and she idled fine and I took her out for a test drive and nailed it and she didn't cut out on me.    I did notice a low end pinging flutter sound still so I resumed cruising in chill mode... Interesting...

#1- You never told me it was pinging ?
If you did I would have told you to throw out the TR-6's and run a colder plug
But either way, YOU NEED MORE BOOST :D

#2 IS IT PINGING OR FLUTTERING, WHICH ONE IS IT ?

#3 IT'S ABOUT FRIGGING TIME YOU LISTENED AND RESET THE PUTER @[email protected]*#[email protected]$#

SO is the WOT cut off prob GONE ?
Did it ever FLUTTER BEFORE  :smt017

and approximately how much money do you make ??? :smt102

BTW
You get 2 Thumbs Up from me on the exhuast  :smt023 :smt023
(ok so maybe the guy had a stiff neck OR SOMETHING when he lined the mufflers up) [smilie=omgrofl.gif]

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob_02Lightning said:
Ok so it's a little ugly under there,  :D
But I still Love you
ya like a red headed step brother with freckles  [smilie=laugh.gif]
Beer goggles LOL! [smilie=laugh.gif] and yes I know you love me like a toothless red headed step brother with freckles :-? [smilie=laugh.gif]

#1- You never told me it was pinging ?
If you did I would have told you to throw out the TR-6's and run a colder plug
But either way, YOU NEED MORE BOOST :D
I did tell you it was pinging! I told you the other afternoon when we were chatting over the tele! Just goes to show that I am getting the red headed step brother treatment from ya as usual  :sad: :-? :shock: :)

#2 IS IT PINGING OR FLUTTERING, WHICH ONE IS IT ?
Actually I can here the pinging occur after a moderate push on the gas pedal I would immediately back off  and as for the fluttering sound I noticed that it comes in at will... when ever... This has been happening for about a month (noticing the pinging and fluttering sounds). Temps here have been in the 40s to 60s here lately... It's Texas what can I say  [smilie=laugh.gif]

#3 IT'S ABOUT FRIGGING TIME YOU LISTENED AND RESET THE PUTER @[email protected]*#[email protected]$#

SO is the WOT cut off prob GONE ?
Tell me about it... well as for the WOT cut off problem I guess the computer reset did the trick... As a matter of fact I just came back from running some errands and tried to replicate the cut off problem again and NO CUT OFF probs anymore! She doesn't cut off like before thank goodness!

Did it ever FLUTTER BEFORE  :smt017
Yes it has, but only as of last month as I can recall. This is something recent! :(

and approximately how much money do you make ??? :smt102
Well let's see on a good night the ladies can tip very well and... ohhh  :shock: nevermind

BTW
You get 2 Thumbs Up from me on the exhuast :smt023 :smt023
(ok so maybe the guy had a stiff neck OR SOMETHING when he lined the mufflers up) [smilie=omgrofl.gif]
The muffler guy's name was quazimoto?!? lol :) Thanks Rob :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Chris this is something that I experienced about a year ago and after many hours of trouble shooting I pulled the intercooler and cleaned it to were you could eat off of it and then put it back in. I run TR-6's and I run around 15 lbs of boost. After I did all of that the problem whent away. Oh yeaz I retuned my program because with the temp changes around here (Texas also). I am running on my street tune 18 degrees advance andI am running around 11.1 A/F. you might want to try these two steps and see if that fixes the problems you are having. If you want youy are more than welcome in my garage and I will help you solve the problems.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Avalanche,

Thanks friend! I appreciate kind words :) I might consider cleaning out the intercooler real soon as I am thinking about pulling the plugs to check them out and possibly replace them while I am at it.

Once again Avalanche thank you for the kind words and invite!

Take care bro!,

Chris

·
Registered
367 Posts
Chris if you need any help pulling the intercooler I will be more than willing to help I can do it in about 2 hours not including the cleaning of the intercoller. Total time on this project should be 4 hours. This is my time I have do it about 5 or 6 times in the past 2 yrs. Getting to be a pro at it.

At least I am good at something. :D

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Hey Chris while you got the Supercharger off
BOLT A MAGNUM POWERS ON THAT BAD BOY :D

AND YOU NEVER TOLD ME IT WAS PINGING
not unless it was while I wasn't listening
what were we talking about anyways :smt017

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob_02Lightning said:
Hey Chris while you got the Supercharger off
BOLT A MAGNUM POWERS ON THAT BAD BOY :D

AND YOU NEVER TOLD ME IT WAS PINGING
not unless it was while I wasn't listening
what were we talking about anyways :smt017
You never listen to me :smt009 :smt010

LOL :D

Yeah very weird about the pinging though...

·
Registered
221 Posts
If he used an arc welder, that is the EEC problem right there. They ground that big daddy to the frame and it can play havoc with the EEC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts