Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is a cut and paste of the original post from a thread Rob started for me on F150...

Friend w 01 Lightning keeps cutting off at WOT ?
The guy is going crazy (Chris Diaz, most know him) Silver 01 in TX.
Why he hasn't asked to get some opinions is beyond me, so I am

Has tried Differant Chips
Differant Brands
Differant Tuners
Differant Tunes
Plugs have been changed twice
Coils all checked
Bla Bla Bla

Problem is there without Chip too ?, but it doesn't cut off. It does however still Break Up and or Spudder, so I'm assuming the Chip just intensifies the Prob hence it cuts off.

Again without Chip even installed the problem is still there,
(but it doesnt cut off).

In Both cases (w and WO Chip) it does the dash thing on the Odometer when it spudders. Seems to do it everytime, and anytime you go more than 1/4 or 1/3 pedal. If he drives around without getting into it, it runs and drives perfect, doesnt seem to have any misses, but as soon as you go 1/2 throttle or more,
ba ba ba ba ba ba ba, and ------------- displays in Odometer.

Tried pulling coil wires one at a time while running, each and everyone does make a diff when pulled. He thought one might be weak based on a darker looking plug in one cylinder, bought a new coil and still the same.

It started the day Chris did the orig Cat Back and X-Pipes a few months ago, is there something they could have done to do this ?
Shorted a wire ? melted something ?
???

He has since then totally changed to a complete new Catback and Mid Pipes, still same problem.

I've read it many times online about L's cutting off
Happen to any of you, and WHAT FIXED IT ???

My Opinion is maybe the Computer is just Bad,
BTW thats been out, taken apart, checked, cleaned, double checked all connections, etc.....

Maybe someone can shed some light ???

---

Here is a link to that thread: http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196095

--

If you peeps could scan through the above linked thread and post back here with any ideas?

Sounds like an electrical issue, but in turn might be an actual mechanical issue (engine).

Any ideas... :smt009

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
Maybe the MAF is bad, TPS bad?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I remember reading a post a year or so back about the 02 sesor wire or the tranny wire harness being melted after a header install and a fellow lightning owner have some major issues.

I replied on one of the other forums about my thoughts being computer related. The fact trhat the odomiter goes blank is what tells me it's computer related.

Jack the truck up and follow the wire harness and check it good around the header tube and the exhaust.

Hope this helps.

I can ask my dyno guy's here in the plant if they know any thing.

Keep us posted.

Peace,

Suavy

·
Registered
367 Posts
Chris,
This is my thought on this. I may be wrong but I have had a little of the issue you are having with out the ----- in the OD. I woudl check your TPS and make sure it is a close to .099 as possible. If you have not messed with it then it is more than likley around .095 or so. I would also check the Maf it sounds like you are pegging it (maybe :smt017) Also there is a purple wire (this is for the computer to read the O2 sensor at WOT) that runs from the forward Bank one O2 sensor that runs really close to the exhaust system, if you did not reconnect the hanger retainer thingy then you might have hit the harness on the exhaust.

These are just my ideas but I hope they help.

Also have you check the fuel filter?????? [smilie=xyxnervous.gif]

Brent

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update:

problem solved!!!

Problems: Bad Alternator, Bad Coil Pack (#7)

Everything looks good so far and my V-1 doesn't go off anymore!!!!

[rob]W000H0000000[/rob] :D

:-xx-Chris-xx-:

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
WOO HOO

:smt041

CONGRATS PAL :smt023

Now put some REAL power in that bad boy and lets get some ET's.......

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
HEY THAT WAS MY 1100th POST

:smt026 :smt035 :smt038 :smt039 :smt041 :smt029 :smt033 :smt025 :smt051 [smilie=party.gif] :smt113 :smt080

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
Glad you got it all fixed, Im next to get mine fixed, Wide band on the way and back to the dyno.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.