Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read mixed reviews on these boxes/speakers setup. So here is my take on the MTX Thunderform boxes and subs in hopes to help anyone that is looking to buy one. I bought the complete package from crutchfield. It included two mtx subs, the thunderform box and a built in 200 watt amp.

When I was younger, late teens and early 20's, I drove rangers and splashes. My regular setup included a 10" kicker sub with a ported box with a fosgate amp. I can't remember how many watts it was. I was able to improve it to perfection eventually after it was stolen many times.

Now I'm 38 and wanted an improved sound system because our stock one is straight garbage. I live in a suburb of Denver and, compared to my hometown in Georgia, we have little help with anything car related. So I went the safe route and got the box that fit our trucks perfectly.

I said all that to say I'm NOT impressed with this thunderform setup. I assumed it would be good enough for me considering I was up in age a little bit and didn't need the huge bass that I use to want as a kid. But the bass that it provides doesn't even sound like true bass. It's very disappointing to say the least. My single 10" as a kid sounded really good. Most people were shocked that it was a single 10". Now I know why. These two 10's sound horrible.

I understand that the sound is improved a little bit if the speakers are changed out and a better amp is used. But when I get to that point, I'll get a custom built wood box and better speakers and a better amp. Just my .02. If you have any questions inbox me.

·
Go Skers!
1,061 Posts
The mtx sub's aren't that great, but in my truck, with a proper amp I had to turn gain down because they hit too hard. I'd say the built in amp is garbage.

·
Registered
739 Posts
i think that the 200 watts amp is why you are not impressed. for subs you most likely need at least 300 per sub if they can handle it and that will wake up any sub. i have a custom box i made out of fiberglass ( wanted as much space as possible) with 2 kicker L5's and i have 1000 watts. to me its not enough but i used to be in the car audio world.

·
I like your avatar!
662 Posts
MTX is pretty low-rate stuff. I would certainly replace the subs and amp. The boxes are decent so I would find a higher quality replacement sub that will work with the amount of air space that box provides. My problem is with any sealed, low air volume box. If you miss that deep bass from when you were younger then a ported enclosure is the way to go, but harder to make work in the tight confines.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i think that the 200 watts amp is why you are not impressed. for subs you most likely need at least 300 per sub if they can handle it and that will wake up any sub. i have a custom box i made out of fiberglass ( wanted as much space as possible) with 2 kicker L5's and i have 1000 watts. to me its not enough but i used to be in the car audio world.
Can you post a pic of your box please? also, who made it?

Brad.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I don't have any pics of the box, I made it about 10 years ago. its a simple wedge box but I made it out of fiberglass on all sides except the bottom for mounting purposes. it only gave me 1.5'' extra room to move my seat back. front and back are glass. figure mdf wood is 3/4'' front and back so that s 1.5'' of a thicker box

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weather is suppose to be nice this week. Drove the truck to work this morning. I smelled something electrical burning from the rear. lol Guessing it's the amp or speakers. I'll take the advice and put a better amp and subs in. My gain is set to halfway.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just recently bought a slim ported box for a 12 from best buy. Sounds nice and deep. Slapped in a apline type e powered by some Sony amp. Being used to louder bass( 4 15" kicker cvx) I want more now lol

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
the gain knob is often confused/misused as a volume knob. its really to match the output voltage of the head unit to the input sensitivity of the amp, basically its a tool for tuning the sub and once set should never be touched again. turning it up too much causes clipping/distortion and can damage equipment.
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-voltage-gain

1 - 12 of 12 Posts