Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped on the MP with a 2.90 upper (cobra rotors, still the same 6lb lower), its also got a VMP 100mm MAF tube (metal) and a big S&B powerstack filter. Now I can just about always hear a slight wine when cruising around.

I never paid much attention to the boost gauge, its always sat near the bottom of the vacuum section cruising and at idle. sometimes now it sits with the bottom of the needle right at the bottom vacuum line, sometimes its not even a needle width over that. It doesnt really seem any louder at 35mph vs 80 mph. You can only hear it with the radio off and all that jazz, if you pop it out of OD it gets louder but the boost needle doesnt move.

Ive adjusted the boost actuator 3x and it doesnt change anything...not sure if its not completely bypassing at cruise or if Im just able to hear it more because of the big filter and MAF tube?

I do have the boost actuator on the Cobra Eaton I took the rotors from I could try swapping if they're the same

·
Banned
4,138 Posts
I swapped on the MP with a 2.90 upper (cobra rotors, still the same 6lb lower), its also got a VMP 100mm MAF tube (metal) and a big S&B powerstack filter. Now I can just about always hear a slight wine when cruising around.

I never paid much attention to the boost gauge, its always sat near the bottom of the vacuum section cruising and at idle. sometimes now it sits with the bottom of the needle right at the bottom vacuum line, sometimes its not even a needle width over that. It doesnt really seem any louder at 35mph vs 80 mph. You can only hear it with the radio off and all that jazz, if you pop it out of OD it gets louder but the boost needle doesnt move.

Ive adjusted the boost actuator 3x and it doesnt change anything...not sure if its not completely bypassing at cruise or if Im just able to hear it more because of the big filter and MAF tube?

I do have the boost actuator on the Cobra Eaton I took the rotors from I could try swapping if they're the same
I hate it too, but its the nature of the beast. I'm old and like quiet, and this MP is the loudest SOB ive ever had on my truck, sometimes I think about taking the belt off just to drive around town.................................

But what if someone wanted to race?

·
7th Fetzer valve, yeah...
2,143 Posts
I kept the same intake, when I replaced the Eaton with the MP, and I hear it a lot more too. Even mellow driving around town. Everything runs real good so I assumed it was the nature of the beast. It's also exactly what I was hoping for!

·
огонь ав
1,470 Posts
mine is the same way! love it!

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, I just wanted to make sure the slight whine Im always hearing was normal for the MP and that it wasn't bypassing improperly or something

Im with Dol, I'd rather not hear the damn thing but I've usually got the radio on anyway

·
SOLD...
5,244 Posts
Honestly i can barely hear the MP over the OBX headers/resonators/Silverbullets.....I may be adding cats next year.

·
Administrator
18,538 Posts
The noise is part of it's charm! It is what I miss most about my Magnum Powers blower. I also miss the brutal instant torque it developed. My Whipple makes more power, but does not hit as hard.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
I can't wait to install the MP next spring!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Genital Contractor
2,088 Posts
Mine whines at idle as well....its to the point where I had a ford tech write down on a worksheet that there was a "funny noise coming from supercharger" and they wanted to fix it....I know better :D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
You think it whines now, slap a 10#/2.7 pulley combo on it. Makes the MP growl like a bad power steering pump at light throttle. But when you get in boost it will SCREAM!

·
Registered
17,565 Posts
The sound alone caused the early demise of 4 rear sets of Hankooks for me :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts