Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I took a drive to visit Jokerz Performance and visit Brett at his shop. I wanted to get my MP from the group buy put together, with the set of Cobra rotors he had there waiting for me.

Well Brett is a class act and I had a good time shooting the $hit with him for sure. Nice meeting someone who has taken his hobby and made it a business for himself.

So after Brett showed me his projects he is working on, he got to work on my MP. He was very thorough with his inspection of the rotor case and snout. He made sure everything fit as it was supposed to...but before we got it all fit together, he found an obvious issue...

I just want to point out a potential issue maybe all of you in the last group buy may have. Brett noticed that the holes for the dowel pins on the snout, where not drilled out exactly right. After playing around with a few other cases and the MP snout, and deliberation of what to do...he had to enlarge the holes for the dowel pins to fit into the snout.

I just wanted to point it out so the rest of you don`t go and pound the damn thing on because it doesn`t fit right. Its a simple fix. The terrible powder coat job I paid MP $250 for, isn`t a simple fix..:smt089

Pictures of said "issue" coming up...show em Brett. Brett can explain the issues you could potentially have with. We were wondering if the fellow who snapped his coupler had some alignment issues, thus causing his failure?

I`m sure I`ll be happy with the blower in the long run...

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Auto part Gas

Blue Electric blue Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper

Left side wasn't so bad

Right side wow

These dowels or guides are very crucial for keeping the rotating assembly on a solid like from pulley all the way to the case bearing. If this line is shifted or kinked it puts load on a pulley. I don't like doing what I did. Those dowels keep the snout from walking or creeping. Meaning when pressure from the belt pushes down I hope it don't walk and break the anerobic sealer cause on oil leak bind the coupler bind the bearing. We took out as little as we had to to get it to fit.

I'm sorry I'm not happy with this as we had 2 old mps to go off of. Is his blower nice tight and well put together yes. Tolerances an issue. No. But that dowel pin could be the reason that other feller coupler went out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was the one that obliterated a Coupler into about 20-30 small pieces !:smt021

When first assembling my MP, I had to kind of "pound" the snout onto the case with a small rubber mallet. I figured it was due to the holes being slightly small for the dowels and wasn't really a big deal... :shocked003 so it is a big deal ?

You guys are saying I basically need to open up the two snout holes slightly, when Im reassembling this go round

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was the one that obliterated a Coupler into about 20-30 small pieces !:smt021
When first assembling my MP, I had to kind of "pound" the snout onto the case with a small rubber mallet. I figured it was due to the holes being slightly small for the dowels and wasn't really a big deal... :shocked003 so it is a big deal ?

You guys are saying I basically need to open up the two snout holes slightly, when Im reassembling this go round
Brett had a couple of MPs sitting there not from our group buy. The snouts slid on and off nice and effortlessly and the bolt patterns matched up just right.

When you put your snout on the case and before you tap it down, take a flashlight and look through the bolt holes where the dowels sit and see if they align properly. If they don`t, using a de-burring tool, and from the inside of the holes, and towards the side it needs to move towards (not the outside) take off as minimal material as you can to get them in line and still have tension on the dowel pin. If this makes sense..

Like I said its a simple fix. But for the $ we paid and the time we had to wait to get this blower, should we have to worry about fitment of these pieces? NO

Brett did check for rotor to case clearances and for any contact by spinning the case cold and hot...no issues.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Brett had a couple of MPs sitting there not from our group buy. The snouts slid on and off nice and effortlessly and the bolt patterns matched up just right.

When you put your snout on the case and before you tap it down, take a flashlight and look through the bolt holes where the dowels sit and see if they align properly. If they don`t, using a de-burring tool, and from the inside of the holes, and towards the side it needs to move towards (not the outside) take off as minimal material as you can to get them in line and still have tension on the dowel pin. If this makes sense..

Like I said its a simple fix. But for the $ we paid and the time we had to wait to get this blower, should we have to worry about fitment of these pieces? NO

Brett did check for rotor to case clearances and for any contact by spinning the case cold and hot...no issues.

Awesome, kinda stoked at the timing of you guys finding this issue. I wouldn't want to have tossed it all back together this week and have it repeat after another 100 miles.

For the money we paid, I think we all got royally ****ed on the group buy.
The delays, lack of communication, poor quality of powder coat, and now poor quality of fitment obviously causing one catastrophic failure already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts