Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not finding the topic today so ill ask, i read some info on using the 4v 03-4 mustang cobra heads on the lightning. since im installing a cobra motor right now in another project and considering rebuild options for the L i thought it would be a good time to see what the gain is. Can someone point me to a discussion on the subject?

Also wondering who is a popular re builder for the motors in NW ohio, I probably will just send out the long block to get freshened up and upgraded since its a street truck. Been Looking at Johhny Lightning over in PA, any others to consider in the Michingan/ ohio/ indiana area. I should do it myself but i have been outsourcing engines this year so i can get more projects finished and my local guy is a year out on things.

Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
95 Posts
The issue with using 4v is finding the manifold to run a supercharger on the lightning. There's the gt500 one but obviously you have to use the gt500 heads. From my research most tend to go turbo when swapping to 4v heads. Tbone was working on a manifold to use Navi 4v on out truck however it's on indefinite hold.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The biggest question will be do you want to stay with supercharger or go turbo. If you want to go with supercharger best option is gt500 heads so you can run that intake and blower setup etc. If you are open to turbo navigator heads are a good option as well. I also know you can get adapters made to run gt500 intake on navigator heads.

Also could consider a coyote swap but even more hurdles with that swap and money involved.

The biggest issues in doing the swap is having to lose the lightning intake and blower setup.

Good luck with whatever you decide I like seeing the 4v swap threads and what people end up doing.

I am thinking about a navigator head swap one day myself.

Reactions: 02 H/D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a gt500 mod'ed blower from steg on the shelf for it, sounds like the right answer is to just rebuild the bottom end a little stronger and freshen everythign up. Im not ready to make the jump to turbos yet on this one but I may try that on the old 93 L at some point. I don't love the vortech on the 93...

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,305 Posts
4v heads are not an easy swap.
Cobra heads are even harder because there is no intake manifold that fits off the shelf.

Reactions: bigdogcamwu

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
4v heads are not an easy swap.
Cobra heads are even harder because there is no intake manifold that fits off the shelf.
Also your 4V 4.6L heads (pick one including Terminator) will definitely flow better than 2V PI heads, but they don't flow like the heads that came OEM on your 5.4L 4V engine. (00 Cobra R, FGT, GT500. They may outflow the 4V Navigator heads but I can't remember) In either 04 or 05 (can't remember again) Ford released a 4V head that was supposed to fix issues associated with the Terminators heads. (ticking issues, 4 threads for the plugs, etc) These were the best Terminator based heads, but still not as good as the 5.4L 4V heads.

I think this is correct, but it's been almost 11 years since I kept up with this stuff. When I DD a Terminator I knew all this shit very well.

Also don't think there's no potential for a good 2V setup especially if you go the TFS route. Back in the day there was a shop in the ATL area called Modular Powerhouse. (MPH) They would build some Kenne Bell 2V 4.6L cars that would rival the TS Terminators of the time. 650+ WHP from a 281ci 2V Modular on pump gas was impressive as hell back in the mid 2,000's. IDK maybe there's more potential with a 2V 4.6L than a 2V 5.4L as you need some badass flowing heads to get an engine with a very long 4.165" stroke to want to turn some RPM's.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Instead of going 4v, I suggest going with the Trick Flow heads and comp cams. I used the M44 heads and "stage2" cams and just had my truck dynoed at Blankenship down in KY and got 640rwhp with well over 700 fpt on a Mustang dyno. Not too shabby for a street truck. And that was on a VERY fat tune AFRwise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Instead of going 4v, I suggest going with the Trick Flow heads and comp cams. I used the M44 heads and "stage2" cams and just had my truck dynoed at Blankenship down in KY and got 640rwhp with well over 700 fpt on a Mustang dyno. Not too shabby for a street truck. And that was on a VERY fat tune AFRwise.
Could I use a 4.6 cobra short block with trick flow heads and the lightning supercharger?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Also your 4V 4.6L heads (pick one including Terminator) will definitely flow better than 2V PI heads, but they don't flow like the heads that came OEM on your 5.4L 4V engine. (00 Cobra R, FGT, GT500. They may outflow the 4V Navigator heads but I can't remember) In either 04 or 05 (can't remember again) Ford released a 4V head that was supposed to fix issues associated with the Terminators heads. (ticking issues, 4 threads for the plugs, etc) These were the best Terminator based heads, but still not as good as the 5.4L 4V heads.

I think this is correct, but it's been almost 11 years since I kept up with this stuff. When I DD a Terminator I knew all this shit very well.

Also don't think there's no potential for a good 2V setup especially if you go the TFS route. Back in the day there was a shop in the ATL area called Modular Powerhouse. (MPH) They would build some Kenne Bell 2V 4.6L cars that would rival the TS Terminators of the time. 650+ WHP from a 281ci 2V Modular on pump gas was impressive as hell back in the mid 2,000's. IDK maybe there's more potential with a 2V 4.6L than a 2V 5.4L as you need some badass flowing heads to get an engine with a very long 4.165" stroke to want to turn some RPM's.
Yep you got your info right..The full 8 thread “DC” casting came out in 04-05...haven’t listed them yet, but I’ve got a nice set available with cams, valves and springs if someone is looking...
I’ve also got an excellent set of 04’ Navigator heads available as well, they’re also a full 8 thread version..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts