Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the day I was going to install my built motor...so I thought. When I installed my new converter this morning I noticed my tranny leaning with with passenger side down. Originally I put the front of the tranny on a jack stand but then the tail shaft did also to remove the crossmember. I tried to get the tranny sitting correctly but only got it close. Got the motor in the bay in record time but I could not get it to marry to the tranny. I started with crossmember off the truck then with it on using the mount to assist with the tranny lean. I was using a load leveler and left the cooler and mounts off. Passenger side lined up easy and drivers side dowel went in partially when I pulled down on the side of the tranny. After that partial bit on the drivers side it would not slide in anymore.i made sure to watch the converter studs which would go in and out of the flywheel on their own. Sorry for the long book but does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, it's possible the converter is not all the way in which would cause the trans to not land on the engine. I like to give the engine a rearward tilt so the trans can go in at an angle and it makes it easier to bolt it up once you're landed. Crossmember should be out until you're bolted up.

Find a buddy to help? An extra set of eyes and hands is always a plus!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The converters all the way in or as far as the stock one was. I did not put it in neutral. Will tha cause the tranny to kick to one side?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know which I'm more pissed at the fact I even asked that question or that I didn't think to check if it was in nuetral! I've done enough motor installs on other vehicles to know better. That was my first motor swap without the consumption of alcohol. I'm going to chalk it up to lack of sleep and tunnel vision due to lack of alcohol. Hopefully my stupidity helps somebody out and makes the rest of you guys laugh.

·
Old Guys Rule
74 Posts
Well I learned something for when the time comes that I have to swap mine out...

That's worth something...

Cecil

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Good info. Thanks for the reminder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts