Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought the turbos in for a quick checkup and it looks like its time to go through them. Too much axiel(spelling) play and too mush in out play. Plus side, I found out its a p trim wheel 65mm x74mm whell 11 blade. So question I have is knowing its a street setup. 68 ar or 81 ar for the pair? I was thinking 68. Part number th6876a. Got a pair of housing s cheap cheap.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyways, replying to my own thread at 1am. Both trubos are getting a full rebuild and the wheels are getting lightened. The 58 ar housings are getting repalced with 68 ar housings. evergreen turbos is dooing the seals, bearings and all the other machine work and i ordered the new precession housings from horsepower freaks. Got a quote for custom headers and pipe work to the turbos for 1250 in 16 ga. mild steel. Stainless was ungodly expensive. Next summer ill do the headers and have them coated. for now ill use the logs and enjoy the truck as is. Headers and bigger ar turbos the truck should easily be in the high high 700's:bigtu

Ill probably sell the logs to offset the header cost. along with the NOS system

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2200 in stainless. Dans built pleant of headers in both materials. Says stainless will last longer and disapates heat so quickly that he wouldn't coat them. Swaintech told me 400 to coat and jethot said 585 to coat inside and out. If he used the steel, it be a heavier gauge, atleast 16 and not chinese made crap, same with the stainless.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
Go mild and Swaintech those bishes. You'll be happy mang.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
2200 in stainless. Dans built pleant of headers in both materials. Says stainless will last longer and disapates heat so quickly that he wouldn't coat them. Swaintech told me 400 to coat and jethot said 585 to coat inside and out. If he used the steel, it be a heavier gauge, atleast 16 and not chinese made crap, same with the stainless.
I wouldnt be worried about using steel either; thicker would be a good thing too. Heat is your friend with a turbo.......why manifolds work so good.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I wouldnt be worried about using steel either; thicker would be a good thing too. Heat is your friend with a turbo.......why manifolds work so good.
Correct, which is why you coat them to help keep heat IN The pipe, not in your engine bay. On a turbo setup that's WIN-WIN.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so 1200 for equal length shorties sounds like a good price, probably close to 1400 after he makes the bends and puts the wastegates in the proper position, not across from the #6 on one side and #1 on the other

On a side note, I put my 62 next to a 115 and it was hilarious. hes got a single mounted on a fox body 10.5 car. Almost covers the entire front of the motor LOL

·
The GOLD RUSH!
2,559 Posts
Side to side play isn't much to worry about if there is no contact with the housing but a turbo should never have in and out play. Good decision on the rebuild. Sounds like it will be a potent setup!

·
Formerly OGmackPLRcool
1,075 Posts
Side to side play isn't much to worry about if there is no contact with the housing but a turbo should never have in and out play. Good decision on the rebuild. Sounds like it will be a potent setup!
Exactly what I was about to say. In/Out play is no bueno.

Def go with coated mild steel for manifolds. Keep as much of that heat in as possible.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Picking up the turbos on friday. All new seals, bearings, some kind of bumo kit, or whatever he called it, modified wheel, the whole enchelada. I'll have my choice of housings in the future LOL seems easy to do a housing change on the exhaust have 2 spare .58's and running the 68s

So here is a questuion, when i have the exhaust made, 1 5/8 primaries, but turbo guy wants to go 1 5/8 into 3" to the flanges, too big?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was figuring 2.5 as casey mentioned to me, The fab shop isnt used to such tiny stuff, he does more like this. Did the chassis and plumbing

·
street truck
6,534 Posts
Yep

Ive read that people have tried 2.5 vs 3" in situations like this and found no power increase and only slower spool up times. Id do 1 5/8 into 2.5" Gotta remember your working with a baby sized motor.
Yep, I just started my wheeling and dealing for a set of used turbo headers off a 330 motor. 1 5/8" primaries to 2.5" and it was making 2100hp. I get to see them tomorrow. :) Hoping I can fit them in the L

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.