Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much thanks to Rob and to Vinnie for getting together and collaborating on this idea of giving out monthly assignments to the staff member to better give light of direction for what has to be done for the e-zine on a monthly basis.

EVERYONE, please note the suggested tasks are just that, "suggestions" if you have a problem with your assigned task, or if you wish to do something else, PLEASE let us know ASAP by either PM, email to me or Rob or by responding to this thread.

Also please let us know if this is something you can do.

Okay, the list has been prepared in .XLS (MS-Excel) format. All staff members have been listed in the spreadsheet with their assigned montly tasks. You will also notice that some staff members have "TBA" listed as their monthly assignment which stands for
TO BE ANNONUNCED.

If you have been tagged with a TBA, respond to this thread and mention what you would like to contribute to the e-zine as your monthly task.

Attached to this thread is the .xls file for you to review, this way everyone is on the same page and knows what he/she is doing as well as his/her other fellow LR staff member is covering :)

People, the tasks suggested for your monthly assignments have been selected according to your past expressed interests of involvement in the e-zine.

Thank You everyone!

Chris

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Awesome

Yes if everyone can come up with SOMETHING you want to do EACH MONTH
it would be a HUGE HELP  [smilie=bow.gif]

The main thing is to have enough of us (staff)
Working on certain stories ea and every month, so on those ocassions where you don't have something, it's no biggy, because we still have plenty

The more we can plan on a monthly basis, the less guess work we'll have ea month
trying to figure out what to do, and who's doing it.

Example, I think every month we should have

LOTM by Leeann

Mod of the Month by Me, "OR SOMEONE ELSE"

1/4 Mile News by Vinnie (events, results, upcoming, etc....)

1% news, Cliff is it possible to do a monthly SOMETHING on it ?

Maybe a How To of the Month ? Cliff you got enough in there to carry us over a year,
Is that something we can or should do ????

I still have no clue WTF Chris does ????

From the orig post I know these were some of story's peeps mentioned doing

airtroop01 said:
Well, I was thinking of something along the following:
Interviewing Sue and Johnny @ JLP since they got the "Fastest Harley Truck" timeslip of [email protected] mph
Interviewing Craig Hagenbaugh (03HarleyCA) and his sponsored truck which was shown at SEMA
A product overview on the SMC Water/Alchohol injection kit
Bill Jordan said:
I just plan on writing something about the PRI show. Can we post wav files for listening with the articles. I have some of the speeches recorded. Since I'm in the columns area, maybe I should give my point of view on  the state of Lightning affairs  you could call it "The Fatman Speaks"and see who I can piss off!
Bill that is exactly what we need.
Maybe some ocassional Show news for the article sections.
and a monthly Column WOULD BE AWESOME, again we wound'nt have to worry, we know what your working on (Your Choice of course) AND I LOVE THE IDEA OF TRYING TO PISS PEOPLE OFF :D )  I DO IT TO CHRIS ALL THE TIME  [smilie=laugh.gif]
I had "The Fatman Speaks" Listed under your name
but Chris must of thought I made it up, and took it off the list (he's such a scady cat)

With KB Zilla and Wicked Quick having the Best Looking AND BLINGED OUT KB, Motor and Trucks around, maybe some Bling Bling news would be possible, again YOUR CHOICE and just a suggestion.

I know Buddy is swamped, and is already committing to the Covers ea month, more than enough and very much needed and appreciated. Buddy you also spoke about possibaly getting some news from around the diff States, if that comes about, it would be awesome

All I'm afraid of, is no one has a clue what everyone is doing, OR IF THEY'RE EVEN DOING.
So if we can make some kind of list, on what we can expect from ea other monthly,
then no one has to worry, and we just have to hope everyone CAN AND WILL come up with something, in the area THEY CHOOSE. again this is a suggestion

LA, if you WANTED TO also do a monthly piece from Leeann (you pick the catch phrase)
LA's L World, I HATE MEN, Women are Sexy, MUD WRESTLING AND ME :smt007
FASTER THAN MEN, "SOMETHING"   :D That might be cool
That Ralph piece now has 1019 hit's PEOPLE LOVE YOU
YOUR YOUNG SEXY AND HATE MEN, WHATS BETTER THAN THAT  :smt118
I can see it now "Leeann talks Dirty" ........

Rich mentioned maybe doing a Water Pump Install I believe ? or installation piece ?
something on that every month or three would be awesome....

I also think we should have a monthly

Company or Vendor or Product Highlight of the month (kinda thing)
Tech Tip of the month
ANYONE INTERESTED IN THAT ???

Hopefully we won't have to worry about it once we all got an idea of what we're all doing on a monthly basis.

Maybe the best way to handle this is for each to simply download the file, then edit your name and put in WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, then e-mail it back to Chris, and then Chris can post the FINAL LIST HERE :D
God knows he needs to do SOMETHING

·
Registered
427 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
With KB Zilla and Wicked Quick having the Best Looking AND BLINGED OUT KB, Motor and Trucks around, maybe some Bling Bling news would be possible, again YOUR CHOICE and just a suggestion.
Thanks Rob !! :smt004

·
Registered
228 Posts
When is the due date for these articles/columns and is there a publishing date for this next issue?

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Well if Chris ever bothered to tell everyone @%$&(@$%&@$
(I love breaking his balls)

He actually went out and spent MORE MONEY and bought a new editor program,
that actually NOW allows "ALL OF US" (staff only) to write the story's and submit them through the front page of the e-zine

If you go to LR.Com you'll notice in the user menu, there's a button to submit news

User Menu 
Your Details
Submit News
Submit WebLink
Check-In My Items
Logout

you can write, save, go back and edit, change, your articles right through there now. Whats great about this is, you can enter them ANYTIME, and chris will put the publish date in (in time) and only US (staff) can see them, (they remain un-published for now)

My suggestions on the date for ea new month was @ the 25th (that way if we need a few more days, we'll still be ready for the 1st)

If you go to the submit news are, and start something, YOU MUST NAME IT
and when you save it, IT WILL ask what Catogory, the answer is the only one there in the drop down "Latest News"

I don't want to confuse people anymore, so I'll end it there
But yes you can upload pictures, links etc....
You should never show a pic larger than 500 DPI or it will mess up your text format.
I do use bigger pic's, but for that I use thumb nails, (thats a little harder, Chris will explain)

I have @ 3 things already submited for next month (they're not done yet)
but check them out here and you'll get an idea of what you can do

http://www.lightningrodder.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=1&id=1&Itemid=2

You'll see they say UN-PUBLISHED, only staff can see them for now

As for deadlines, it depends, "IF" you are entering it yourself, I guess you got to the 20th or so (to give chris time to mess with the format if need be)

If your sending it to Chris for him to enter, we better ask him, but he would need some time to get in in the system and set up

Again I AM TOTALLY OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS
I DID NOT plan on taken this e-zine project on, I was only going to be involved in the FORUM, BUT we needed help here with e-zine so I jumped in.
HAS FRIGGING ANYONE SEEN CHRIS &(@$%*&@$%*@^$%*@$^%@*$%*@$
hehehehehe

I am clearly NOT a writter, and god knows my thoughts ARE NOT normal, so please please don't ever hesitate to say, Rob that sucks. :D

And if ANYONE wants to take on more responsibility, please do, we really need more help with e-zine BIG TIME. I only jumped in because I just love this site, and feel we have a real chance to make it over the hump and truly change the Forum World forever, so I'm giving it my all for now, till hopefully soon enough it runs itself.
OR FRIGGING CHRIS ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING (%$(#%$(&%$*^#%$*&^#$

If we can get a committment from all (or most of us) to do 1 or 2 pieces a month, WE'RE FINE.

And believe me , I really appreciate the help, THANKS EVERYONE :smt023

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just have to think about something I can write about. I don’t know hardly chit about mods or anything. The last thing I did about “torque wrenches” was ok but not sure how valuable it may have been. I didn’t know if many people knew the difference between the two, but figured since a few people had asked in the past why not write something up.

Just hope it’s not one of those things that the “pros” look at and say “DUH”… :D

Anyway, I am trying to think of things I would want to know or learn since I am not mechanical inclined when it comes to vehicles, not like some of you and I think some people get intimidate to ask the simple questions like oil changes, transmission fluid changes, coolant etc. You know the things most of you take for granted…

I gotta think man, I am drawing a blank. I could talk about things I know about like designing automated test equipment, developing the software that controls it blah, blah, blah, yah boring…

I am thinking and I am sure something will come to mind like around the 24th, or the 25th on the dead line. Man I work so good under pressure… :D

I do have a few suggestions for someone that has the knowledge that I think would be not only great articles but great for those that just don’t want to ask in a public form:

1 Lowering kits – what effect do they have on the suspension? Is there any thing to worry about like axel wrap?

2 What do the pro’s like Vinnie, Sal etc recommend for routine maintenance of a high performance Lightning, such as O2 sensors when should they be changed? What things specifically should be checked on the motor, suspension etc, oil change interval, transmission change interval, differential fluid change interval, if any. What should be greased?

3 What the hell are cam bolts and why are they important or not important. What are the components of the front suspension, rear suspension. What the hell are alignment shims, or is there such a thing?

And number 4:

Why does my gas peddle not work properly? It will only go completely to the floor or stay completely in the up position? Why does my truck not have any other speed other then WOT or completely stopped?

Ok, well I know why and its not a malfunction on Ford’s part… :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
I submitted my questions to JL and talked to both him and Sue on the phone.
If we're lucky he'll give us a sneak preview into some of the mods he's doing.
He mentioned other magazines were going to interview him and write articles.
So, its nice to get the scoop!

I'll give him a week or so and start bugging him for a response if he doesn't come back with a reply then.

The alchy injection article, I'm going to have to postpone since my truck isn't back yet from PA. So, I can't write about something I haven't had the ability to play around with yet. (Long story but the quick and dirty is another transport company dropped the ball on picking it up when they said they would)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have a request?

Could you e-mail us back after we send out our articles so we know you got them?

Suavy :D

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suavy said:
I have a request?

Could you e-mail us back after we send out our articles so we know you got them?

No problemo!

I apologize for the delay in response Jeronimo! That will be SOP (standard operating procedure) from now on! :D

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Suavy said:
I have a request?

Why did I know he was talking Chris  [smilie=omgrofl.gif]

AND I WANT MY FRIGGING SMILEY BACK CHRIS :smt091

SB,

Maybe you can do something differant, Like a LR Babe of the Month
OR SOMETHING ??? :D

Don't know your status, (single,married,etc) but it could be fun finding a Babe a month to pose for some pic's  [smilie=laugh.gif]

AT,
That JLP piece should be awesome, please make sure to tell Sue and Johnny Rob said Hello. They are so great and have been so good to me through the years.

FU CHRIS, I WANT SMILEY BACK (*%@^#[email protected]&^#$*@#$*@#

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well, I got the responses back from JLP... and they're good.
Now I'm trying to frame the article just right...

Ummm... so, can I submit this article in a MS word document?
or do you have another format that I should be messing with this in?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured out how to use the editor.

Also, looking around... I found this website... and I thought hmmm wouldn't it be cool if our front page was more like this:
http://www.modularpower.com/

Its just that it would bring more attention to the articles.
BTW, Isn't it cool... we're almost up to 400 people already registered.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I also like the looks of their site, clean and simple, Our front page looks more like just a regular website than an E-zine. And I still don't like the way the articles have to be clicked several times to read the whole article. Some were formatted this way and some wasn't? I know you're busy Chris, if not this month try to fix it next month.

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
I agree
AND
I break Chris's ballz about that all the time, hehehehe

He is actually looking at (and I think even testing) other Software for e-zine.
Unfortunately with what we have (Mambo) we have to use the templates they give you, and we dont really have much control to speak about over it. I also use it on my new web site (so I know the software well, that helps me a lot with behind the scene e-zine stuff) and I also have many limitations on what I can do with it @%(%$(W%R(WR

Chris,
If e-zine changes so does my site, if that gives me more creative possibilities, LETS DO IT
AS LONG AS I DON'T LOSE ALL MY WORK &^@$%*(@#&^%*#@$%(#$

AND WARN ME BEFORE HAND HU :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Okay, I posted my interview with JL in as Unpublished/Public
I hoped to get more pics but, check it out and see what you think.
I think the article turned out really well, however the placement I have in my word document
was much nicer.  Oh well, the best I can do right now.  I just flew into Washington DC on Saturday
morning at 6am and picked up my truck.  I have been driving through the storm and finally made it
to Fort Smith, Arkansas and found a hotel that had high speed broadband so I can submit my article.

I had hoped to have had the transport company deliver it to me sooner and hadn't planned on driving
it back myself.  So, I haven't got an article on the alchy injection yet.  But, I should have some interesting
ones after I figure out how it works.  Unit looks really cool.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This month I've got a part 1 (3 parts total) of a "weights" artical. Part 2 is 1/2 finished already and I'll post it next month.

Rich

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm still trying to edit a draft I started , I'm probably the only one that is having a problem........ Chris where the #@*%*&^% are you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts