Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess conflict is at the heart of human existence.  Why must I endure this sickness, this scourge, this wonderful mod-mania? [smilie=bowlaugh.gif] :smt101 :smt117 :smt101 [smilie=bowlaugh.gif]

I am "might-as-welling" myself into the poorhouse and the loony bin.

The motor blew back on Feb. 11, so I Need a new short block right?

I get a new short block.  need to buy new TTY head bolts, so I MIGHT AS WELL step up to studs.

Couple bent valves - I need head work (plus ARP studs), so I MIGHT AS WELL step up to Stage II heads.

New heads, cool - I MIGHT AS WELL do cam now too, right?

Hmm, I'm going to run out of fuel and MAF headroom here - I MIGHT AS WELL get pumps, injectors and the SCT BigAir,

Well the blower is off - I MIGHT AS WELL send it out for porting.

Hey, the plenum and lower intake are just sitting there - I MIGHT AS WELL port those too.

I've got a little time now so, I MIGHT AS WELL custom paint the valve covers.

Wow, the rest of the motor is going to look like crap in comparison - I MIGHT AS WELL polish the timing cover, water neck, idler bridge and whatever else doesn't run away from me!

Gee, the engine compartment looks like crap against what will be a shiny new engine - I MIGHT AS WELL detail it too.

It's easier to detail with all this suspension junk out of the way, so I MIGHT AS WELL pull all that off too.

No sense in not changing coils and doing clunk washers now right - I MIGHT AS WELL drop this sucker.

Hmmm, that'll be too much rake now - I MIGHT AS WELL throw some Roush springs in the back too.

Well, the springs are gonna be off - I MIGHT AS WELL detail the rear axle.

Do I really want to do LTs later, with the motor already in? Nah, I MIGHT AS WELL step up the exhaust now too.

Now would be a good time to get the EGT bungs in place, since the new headers are out - I MIGHT AS WELL do that too.

Welp, I'm going to have EGT bungs - I need an EGT gauge - I MIGHT AS WELL buy a 2-channel pyrometer.

Damn, another gauge - all four holes are filled - what to do - I MIGHT AS WELL get the factory boost gauge overlay so my dash gauge reads higher.

Well, I really don't want to lose the aftermarket boost gauge, so I MIGHT AS WELL make room for one more gauge.

Hey, I'm playing with gauges - I MIGHT AS WELL get the multiple sender thing working for the trans temp, oil temp and water temp.

The interior look a bit plain now, after seeing (in my head) that new motor in its shiny new home, I MIGHT AS WELL get the console mod finished up.

DOES IT EVER STOP??????

God, I hope not [smilie=3gears.gif]
Herb

·
Registered
261 Posts
You might want to call Rob and console him as he is having the same stress right now. Maybe a Lightning mod group therapy section should be started here. :LOL

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
i feel your pain, but i am ding all the porting and polishing, so that helps some with the amount of polished parts going on the motor (i don't know if you have ever polished something, but i have found it to be extremely tedious just to do the blower)

luckily i have already done some of the suspension work. the rake doesn't look right, but i don't want to lower the back anymore, as i tow with my L sometimes.

i am trying to keep myself form ordering gauges, but i alrady do have the pod, so i might as well fill it up, right? :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
It is a sickness. A WONDERFUL one, but a sickness still the same. :D I've had it for 30 years! :shock:

Jody

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
it is not just a sickness it is a outbreak........................

how many people do we have on this site alone...

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
But think of it this way, you saved time by doing all that stuff while the motor was out and the suspension out of the way as well. But I do agree it is adicting I know. I have spent more money on my current truck this year alone to of have just bought a built shortblack. Makes me [smilie=eek4.gif] when I think how much I have spent when I could of just saved it all and did a built block :LOL

·
Registered
85 Posts
herb101 said:
I guess conflict is at the heart of human existence.  Why must I endure this sickness, this scourge, this wonderful mod-mania? [smilie=bowlaugh.gif] :smt101 :smt117 :smt101 [smilie=bowlaugh.gif]

I am "might-as-welling" myself into the poorhouse and the loony bin.

The motor blew back on Feb. 11, so I Need a new short block right?

I get a new short block.  need to buy new TTY head bolts, so I MIGHT AS WELL step up to studs.

Couple bent valves - I need head work (plus ARP studs), so I MIGHT AS WELL step up to Stage II heads.

New heads, cool - I MIGHT AS WELL do cam now too, right?

Hmm, I'm going to run out of fuel and MAF headroom here - I MIGHT AS WELL get pumps, injectors and the SCT BigAir,

Well the blower is off - I MIGHT AS WELL send it out for porting.

Hey, the plenum and lower intake are just sitting there - I MIGHT AS WELL port those too.

I've got a little time now so, I MIGHT AS WELL custom paint the valve covers.

Wow, the rest of the motor is going to look like crap in comparison - I MIGHT AS WELL polish the timing cover, water neck, idler bridge and whatever else doesn't run away from me!

Gee, the engine compartment looks like crap against what will be a shiny new engine - I MIGHT AS WELL detail it too.

It's easier to detail with all this suspension junk out of the way, so I MIGHT AS WELL pull all that off too.

No sense in not changing coils and doing clunk washers now right - I MIGHT AS WELL drop this sucker.

Hmmm, that'll be too much rake now - I MIGHT AS WELL throw some Roush springs in the back too.

Well, the springs are gonna be off - I MIGHT AS WELL detail the rear axle.

Do I really want to do LTs later, with the motor already in? Nah, I MIGHT AS WELL step up the exhaust now too.

Now would be a good time to get the EGT bungs in place, since the new headers are out - I MIGHT AS WELL do that too.

Welp, I'm going to have EGT bungs - I need an EGT gauge - I MIGHT AS WELL buy a 2-channel pyrometer.

Damn, another gauge - all four holes are filled - what to do - I MIGHT AS WELL get the factory boost gauge overlay so my dash gauge reads higher.

Well, I really don't want to lose the aftermarket boost gauge, so I MIGHT AS WELL make room for one more gauge.

Hey, I'm playing with gauges - I MIGHT AS WELL get the multiple sender thing working for the trans temp, oil temp and water temp.

The interior look a bit plain now, after seeing (in my head) that new motor in its shiny new home, I MIGHT AS WELL get the console mod finished up.

DOES IT EVER STOP??????

God, I hope not [smilie=3gears.gif]
Herb
Try going thru it TWICE!!!!!!! :sad: My own fault though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
DOES IT EVER STOP??????
Yes... yes it does stop.  But only under one of two conditions.  You either run out of every last available funds (CC's maxed, house mortgaged, sold kidneys, ect..),  or..... your death.   [smilie=eek4.gif] Basicly speaking.. there is no cure. :LOL

Rich

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
so its terminal? :shock:

:D

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
yep terminal it is
but remember if you do everything at once you wont have anything to look forward to
atleast that is what my ex used to tell me :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanks for the support guys!   [smilie=ughug.gif]

At least I appear to be in the right ward at the loony bin!

I also forgot a few items in there like the SCT ProRacer tuning package and the $200 worth of tuning books to learn what the hell I'm going to be doing!

I guess this is both chronic and terminal (to me and the CCs).

Herb

btw - where can I sell a kidney?  I've got a few more ideas....

·
Registered
427 Posts
herb101 said:
Well thanks for the support guys!   [smilie=ughug.gif]

At least I appear to be in the right ward at the loony bin!

I also forgot a few items in there like the SCT ProRacer tuning package and the $200 worth of tuning books to learn what the hell I'm going to be doing!

I guess this is both chronic and terminal (to me and the CCs).

Herb

btw - where can I sell a kidney?  I've got a few more ideas....
Yep, I have the SCT Pro Racer kit and the $75 book.....and still have not finished my tune yet. I keep changing stuff and adding mods :D

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
ha, i dont know if i would trust myself with the tuning but it would be nice to learn about it anyway
and how much is the pro racer? i thought it was something like a grand

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah,

I got that book, plus two more I've had from the 5.0 days plus a new, pretty interesting on.

Oldies:
"Ford Fuel Injection & Electrinic Engine Control" by Charles O. Probst

"How to Tune & Modify Ford Fuel Injection" by Watson

and the new one:
"How to Tune & Modify Engine Management Systems" by Jeff Hartman

Good stuff all!

Herb

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mike,

Normal (fixed by SCT) price on the PRP is $795 but that includes the datalogger (when the Xcal comes out).

Herb

·
George\/
3,421 Posts
thanks Herb
guess that will go in to the " it will be more special if we do it later file" :LOL
hummmmm is it possable to tune more than one car or truck with this or is it assigned to the VIN?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep,

You have to buy separate 'licenses' for each at, I believe $450 or $495 a pop. Or spring for the $5000 dealer software package (which I just might do someday).

BTW - that special crap is another way of saying "I've got a headache" :smt064 [smilie=bowlaugh.gif]

Herb

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sounds good Herb.....maybe if enough of us have the software we can have a room on here for just SCT tuning discussions....I nominate Jody to lead us all since he has his tune right now :D And JJ for tech support [smilie=laugh.gif]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hell Yeah!!

I'll second both nominations! Now they're in, they don't have a choice - it's been voted on :LOL

That would be awesome though - I keep wondering what's behind the curtain at the ModularDepot forum (follow the yellow brick road), but I'll probably never find out. I will likely use JJ for my PRP source when I get all my ducks in a row for the baseline.

Herb

1 - 20 of 41 Posts