Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to thank everyone that came out to this weekends race at MIR.

The Ford Fever Classic is always a good time and we have enjoyed sponsoring the truck class for the past three years. :bigtu

Some last minute drop outs limited the truck class to 9 trucks but we still had a great time. More showed but only 9 entered the class.

Jdiggy got his new best time of an 11.22 with his very lowered street setup. :bigtu His 60ft with the M&H's was a 1.53 and that was using our specially designed and built short stick traction bars. :smt042 I guess they do work. :cheers

Ilaybrk got his new personal best and lowered the stock block H/D record to an 11.71 but in elims the tower swapped the dial in's for both trucks and he got the worst part of the deal.

Dogmob was there running his new setup and at a whopping 4965lbs still managed a [email protected] in full street trim on a street tune. :bigtu

I ran BTJ pretty much in street trim but did swap over to a full slick and ran 11.0's in qualifying and 10.9's in elims, however I did rip off an 10.82 in a Sunday morning shakedown session. I lost in the semi's to the eventual winner by running out. 10.90 on a 10.94 dial.

Congrats to the winner Steve Martin from CA for doing a great job all weekend. :bigtu

Jim Inner was there Fri Sat and it was great to see him and hang out with him as well. Thanks for the previously promised meal Jim, hope you got that headlight fixed before you headed home. We were wondering where you were Sun.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out with all of the track stuff, especially my helper Marlin who I worked like a dog. He had a good time and we really enjoyed seeing everyone.

Thanks again everyone and for those who missed it, you missed a great time and a great weekend of racing. Come see us next year. :rockon_ford

JJ

·
Building a fast catfish!!!
15,687 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time... Next year i will be there... even if i have to stab someone...

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Congratulations to Jdiggy and Ilaybrk for their new personal best. Dogmob's must have the heaviest Lightning on record. My Lightning with a half a tank of fuel and no spare tire with me in it, 205lbs weighs between 4600/4700 lbs. What besides the driver makes his any heavier? That and I can't see putting all that money in a Lightning to go fast and not running it at the drag strip on a race tune, why? Why are guys afraid to say it is a race tune, do they think we might think there isn't anymore to get out of their combination. I for one use a race tune for the track only.

:bigtu:bigtu-Bob

·
15,687 Posts
Maybe because its a new setup Bob? I for one would be damn sure i worked out kinks and knick knacks of the new setup on a safe tune to get data logs under the conditions i want my race tune to represent.

but then again i dont go fast

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Maybe because its a new setup Bob? I for one would be damn sure i worked out kinks and knick knacks of the new setup on a safe tune to get data logs under the conditions i want my race tune to represent.

but then again i dont go fast
I thought for sure he already had a WMS built motor and a 3.4 Whipple last year for this event. I didn't think it was possible to improve that combination unless he added the TF heads.

:smt102-Bob

·
SOLD...
5,244 Posts
Congratulations to Jdiggy and Ilaybrk for their new personal best. Dogmob's must have the heaviest Lightning on record. My Lightning with a half a tank of fuel and no spare tire with me in it, 205lbs weighs between 4600/4700 lbs. What besides the driver makes his any heavier? That and I can't see putting all that money in a Lightning to go fast and not running it at the drag strip on a race tune, why? Why are guys afraid to say it is a race tune, do they think we might think there isn't anymore to get out of their combination. I for one use a race tune for the track only.

I weighed my Lightning when i first bought it and it weighed in at 4960lbs.

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
I'll definitely be there next year, this has ended up being a very rough year for me with not qualifying for unemployment. After this recent layoff I thought I would finally qualify but don't yet, hence my not being able to go at the last minute. I'm glad there were some new PB's though! I'll definitely have one soon! I'll shoot a datalog off to you soon JJ so we can finish dialing ZZZZAP in. Anyone have some traction bars I can borrow? haha

·
15,687 Posts
I thought for sure he already had a WMS built motor and a 3.4 Whipple last year for this event. I didn't think it was possible to improve that combination unless he added the TF heads.

Nor do I...

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts

New setup = suspension modification. It has nothing to do with the powerplant.

So yes, it was on his street tune and still running Nitto DR's. He just couldn't launch off the line. I think a 10.94 with a 2.1 60 foot is pretty good. (#'s are not exact, he had really bad 60 foot times)

Marcos truck, as well as mine weighs over 2900lb's. (edit 4900lb's for Bob)

Thanks for continuing to sponsor this event JJ. I had a great time as always. I really wish that I could have run this year but, I felt better just sitting this one out on the sidelines.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
New setup = suspension modification. It has nothing to do with the powerplant.

So yes, it was on his street tune and still running Nitto DR's. He just couldn't launch off the line. I think a 10.94 with a 2.1 60 foot is pretty good. (#'s are not exact, he had really bad 60 foot times)

Marcos truck, as well as mine weighs over 2900lb's.

Thanks for continuing to sponsor this event JJ. I had a great time as always. I really wish that I could have run this year but, I felt better just sitting this one out on the sidelines.
Eric, My Lightning weighs over 2900lbs also, as a matter of fact I think they all do, LOL. Thanks for filling me in on his suspension mods, something I will be working with my next time at the drag strip also. Here is a weight scale ticket from when I first bought my Lightning in 2006. This was with me 205lbs, my wife 150lbs and my hard bed cover that Pitstain loved so much over on NLOC. I must have bought a rare lighter Lightning.

Attachments

·
NO RAGRETS!!!
12,119 Posts
4900lb's, whatever.

My point was that it had nothing to do with his tune or powerplant.

Charles is a very big boy. Thats why when somebody lighter drove it, it went 2 tenths faster than when Charles drove it.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
4900lb's, whatever.

My point was that it had nothing to do with his tune or powerplant.

Charles is a very big boy. Thats why when somebody lighter drove it, it went 2 tenths faster than when Charles drove it.
Thanks Eric, I am glad you cleared that up for me.
:cheers-Bob

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Your implying that the trucks are running race tunes but we are saying they arent????

Do you even know what goes into a full race tune? Its alot more then just more spark and less fuel. Its shift rpm, converter lockup, shift firmness and other items that are adjusted according to the track and weather conditions. Charles rolled up to MIR with the exact same setup that he drives each and every day of the week and lets her rip. :rockon_ford This is no garage queen thats rubbed down with a diaper, its a truck that is run hard and often.

As far as weight goes, a totally stock Lightning with me in it (150lbs) weighed 4964 back a few years ago and I verfied that on a second scale. BTJ's weighed 4550 at MIR yesterday and I think Jdiggy has his weight as well so he will chime in on that. I think you need to find another scale to verfify the weight of your truck. Best place that I have found to do that locally here is the local dump.

JJ

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
Thanks JJ for stepping up and sponsoring the Shindig again.. good that you guys had some decent weather this year.. shame i couldnt make it. but it was fun pissing Diggy off with the update questions all day..

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Your implying that the trucks are running race tunes but we are saying they arent????

Do you even know what goes into a full race tune? Its alot more then just more spark and less fuel. Its shift rpm, converter lockup, shift firmness and other items that are adjusted according to the track and weather conditions. Charles rolled up to MIR with the exact same setup that he drives each and every day of the week and lets her rip. :rockon_ford This is no garage queen thats rubbed down with a diaper, its a truck that is run hard and often.

As far as weight goes, a totally stock Lightning with me in it (150lbs) weighed 4964 back a few years ago and I verfied that on a second scale. BTJ's weighed 4550 at MIR yesterday and I think Jdiggy has his weight as well so he will chime in on that. I think you need to find another scale to verfify the weight of your truck. Best place that I have found to do that locally here is the local dump.

JJ
JJ, didn't mean to get the WMS camp in a up-roar. My Lightning has been weighed several times on the scales and my scale ticket I posted clearly shows Washington Township Transfer Station, (DUMP) as you would call it. As far as me not knowing what goes into a Race Tune you are correct, that is why I paid $450 to JLP and to JJ of Woodbine Motorsports, only the pros knows. As far as you insulting my Lightning as a diaper cleaned garage queen, so what, everything I own I take care of it like that, 2 Harleys, Jeep Rubicon and my WheelHorse Tractor/Mower. I just can't figure out why any one would invest all that money to go built and than not take advantage of it by putting on a good set of sticky tires and a race tune to make it shine.
Your piss poor attitude makes me glad I switched to JLP to have my Lightning tuned.
:smt021-Bob-:hifu

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JJ, didn't mean to get the WMS camp in a up-roar. My Lightning has been weighed several times on the scales and my scale ticket I posted clearly shows Washington Township Transfer Station, (DUMP) as you would call it. As far as me not knowing what goes into a Race Tune you are correct, that is why I paid $450 to JLP and to JJ of Woodbine Motorsports, only the pros knows. As far as you insulting my Lightning as a diaper cleaned garage queen, so what, everything I own I take care of it like that, 2 Harleys, Jeep Rubicon and my WheelHorse Tractor/Mower. I just can't figure out why any one would invest all that money to go built and than not take advantage of it by putting on a good set of sticky tires and a race tune to make it shine.
Your piss poor attitude makes me glad I switched to JLP to have my Lightning tuned.
:smt021-Bob-:hifu
I didnt know a transfer station was a dump but thanks for clearing that up. I still think its wise to check against another scale just for comparison instead of putting the truck on the exact same scale time and time again. I've used the scales at alot of different tracks and they are all slightly different.

I wasnt insulting your truck directly, I was simply making a comparison between Charles truck that are driven all the time in all kinds of weather very hard each day to trucks that sit and get pampered, there is nothing wrong with pampering a truck, hell BTJ only has 16k miles on it and this weekend got its most miles in two years driving back and forth to the track. Stop being so sensitive or twisting what I say to justify your decisions.

As far as getting the WMS camp in an uproar goes, I suggest you re read your first post in this thread. Insinuating that guys were running race tunes when they werent and then insulting another member by discrediting/questioning the weight/performance of the vehicle are two quick ways to piss in somebody elses great weekend of racing.

Sorry you feel the way you do but when a few people kinda give you flack for the way you post and what you say, I think its time to look inwards and not towards a "camp" of people for the reason.

Anyway everyone had a great time and it was good once again to see everyone. We look forward to sponsoring the truck class once again next year :bigtu Thanks to everyone that came to the event and either raced or hung out. :bigtu

JJ

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

I started out by Congratulating Jdiggy and Ilaybrk both from the WMS camp. Than I stated that Dogmob's Lightning must be the heaviest Lightning on record. I than stated what my Lightning weighs. I than asked a simple question, why go to the expense of going built and not going all out with a race tune. Eric answered that with his explanation of DogMob's suspension changes which I understood. Show me where I insulted JJ of Woodbine Motorsports anywhere besides what I consider a poor attitude. Maybe your the one that is to sensitive or doing to much reading between the lines.

:smt101-Bob

·
paranoid
4,608 Posts
if it was a race tune im sure JJ would have come out and said.. hey this truck ran such and such with a race tune..

charles truck is a dd i do believe. and like me i dont think charles give his truck a bath like some people would like.. i for one am guilty at not washing my truck for long periods of time.. o well shoot me..

everyone knows these trucks will run 1 time on a saturday and another time on sunday if the weather is slightly different.. (hopefully not drastically if you bracket racing)

*jj what is the new suspension stuff charles did... was it what he was talking about doing last year?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Thanks lightningkid, how is your build coming. This time next year you should be laying down some killer times for sure. The only thing I am confused about now is if I have a street tune which I will run 100 unleaded in or a race tune which I must run 100 unleaded in. I wont wrong you for not washing yours if you don't wrong me for washing mine, LOL.

;)-Bob

if it was a race tune im sure JJ would have come out and said.. hey this truck ran such and such with a race tune..

charles truck is a dd i do believe. and like me i dont think charles give his truck a bath like some people would like.. i for one am guilty at not washing my truck for long periods of time.. o well shoot me..

everyone knows these trucks will run 1 time on a saturday and another time on sunday if the weather is slightly different.. (hopefully not drastically if you bracket racing)

*jj what is the new suspension stuff charles did... was it what he was talking about doing last year?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
13 Participants
lightningkid
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing