Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to install my new mid pipes. Problems not really the install, but the removal. Any tips on getting the driver's side mid pip out? Do I have to remove the transmission support?

·
Project Dirty Dog
6,747 Posts
The guy who installed mine had to just hack up the stocker but was a bitch to get the new one on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about cutting the stocker off, but figured that wouldn't do me any good if I couldn't get the new one on. Herb suggested I just remove the transmission crossmember, so that's what I'll be doing today.

Thanks,

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good luck with it Spyder [smilie=fingersx.gif]

The mid pipes are easy to break loose of the manifolds - 15mm deep socket, swivel and LONG intensions make it a breeze. Don't forget about the mount on the driver's pipe to the X-member - don't just loosen it, remove the top clamp plate entirely (I thing the stock mount rods form a loop). When I did mine, I broke loose the two hanger rubber isolators above the muffler and left the rear most hanger om place to support the system. As mine was welded up, I dropped the midpipes and catback as a complete assembly - it was HEAVY and awkward.

Herb

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Herb,

Everything went real smooth and its all in place. I think the mid pipes I got from JDM are shorter than the stock ones though cause I can't seem to get things lined back up or the clamps between the mids and the catback to hold. I gave up for today, but will be back at it tomorrow.

You are correct about the mount on the cross brace, it does form a loop and has to be taken completely off. Your advise paid off, thanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
No Probelm Man!!

That's what this is all about. I'm glad somebody else can benifit from my 'learning experiences'. I used ratchet straps to tug and pull and hold things in place while I was aligning the tips on mine. My pipes are Maggy's and the cat-back is stock.

How's the sound?

Herb

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sound was awesome until they fell off :LOL

I'll be trying the ratchet straps tomorrow to see if I can't get them together. If not, I'll be heading to the part store looking for a 4 inch adapter and do a little fab work of my own.

·
Registered
207 Posts
OOPS! [smilie=eek4.gif]

On my stock cat-back I had to bend the hangers a bit too to get the whole thing sitting right.you can bias the tips front to rear by tweaking the three rear hagers one way or the other. Just watch for driveshaft clearance.

Herb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.