Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard from another tuner when datalogging in the higher rpms that a methanol kit hooked up but turned off can still get sucked in the intake and hit the MAF causing the AD counts to peg out, has anybody had this happen?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Get a check valve for the nozzle if worried. I personally never experienced that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I haven't had that problem. But I did read in another thread that if your methanol tank is higher then the meth nozzle it will cause it to leak. As painless said a check valve will fix it.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Had that same thing happen to me - had the meth injection turned off, but during a WOT run, the vacuum in the intake tube was high enough to suck over 1/2 gal of meth/h2o in a single 1/4 mile pass. That much vacuum indicates that the intake tract is a restriction so I put in a JLP 110mm intake tube, a Big-O TB and a JDM 12" filter = much less vacuum and definitely feel more power at WOT and wasn't seeing it pull meth through the nozzle any longer. I still went ahead and installed a check valve for a little more insurance though.

Bird

·
Administrator
18,571 Posts
Heard from another tuner when datalogging in the higher rpms that a methanol kit hooked up but turned off can still get sucked in the intake and hit the MAF causing the AD counts to peg out, has anybody had this happen?
Yes, Meth can get sucked in by Vac in the inlet tract. That is solved with a check valve. But I would never spray meth pre- Maf. So that issue of Maf counts going crazy is not a possibility. Just an overly rich condition.(neither is good)

Jim

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It can happen with the nozzle after the MAF. I have caught it on trucks I tuned before. Once it pools enough meth/water it will flow back in front of the MAF during, Light cruise, decel, when shutting of the truck. Then you make a WOT pull, as soon as meth or water touches the heated wire it pegs the MAF and caused an overly rich condition.

·
Administrator
18,571 Posts
It can happen with the nozzle after the MAF. I have caught it on trucks I tuned before. Once it pools enough meth/water it will flow back in front of the MAF during, Light cruise, decel, when shutting of the truck. Then you make a WOT pull, as soon as meth or water touches the heated wire it pegs the MAF and caused an overly rich condition.
Really, Eric? I would think the orientation of the Maf would preclude this possibility. I guess the volume/rate of airflow can be enough to lift the "puddle" back up into the electronics. Thanks for the education!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Unfortunately yes, on a truck that had a JLP ram air I found it in the box and a whole lot in the ram air scoop tube. Meth nozzle was placed between TB and MAF. System had a check valve.

I agree initial thinking would be that this wouldn't happen

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, checked my truck today and damn nozzle has been gravity feeding out of the nozzle causing a puddle and airflow to lift it into the sensor causing it to peg....

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bad thing is I have the check valve in the pump and an aftermarket check valve under the hood so not sure what to do at this point

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Bad thing is I have the check valve in the pump and an aftermarket check valve under the hood so not sure what to do at this point
Is the check valve right at the nozzle?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nozzle is probably right around 8" from the check valve...

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
My valve was attached to the nozzle and never had issues. Sounds like your nozzle may need to be moved closer?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I figured it didn't matter how close the check valve was long as it was within a foot of the nozzle?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Didn't know the meth could get to the maf. I have mine between the tb and maf. But figure when it sprays everything is getting sucked in by the blower.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The whole issue Walter is the kit is off and methanol is getting siphoned up through the nozzle and I dont think my check valve is close enough to the nozzle....

·
Believing Believer
2,179 Posts
Doesn't a check valve prevent "reverse" flow? A check valve is a gravity activated valve that opens with forward flow and shuts when forward flow ceases thus causing the disability of BACKFLOW. If you want the flow of a liquid to go forward, then why would you put a check valve in to prevent it from going backwards, when going backwards isn't the problem? In this case, the check valve would keep liquid from going "back" into the meth/water tank...not the forward direction.

In this case, seems as if you would need a solenoid to close a valve put in place to stop the unwanted forward flow. Unless that would be too much in the case of having to open the valve and then press the button for the pump. Which in that case, the same button/switch that would open the valve would activate the pump.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This particular check valve is 16psi activated....

·
Believing Believer
2,179 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have to look at it closely suppose to be able to remove the guts and clean it out if you have to

1 - 20 of 28 Posts