Lightning Rodder banner

Mecum Auction of Gen2s

5K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  airframer84 
#1 ·
I posted this on Facebook, but putting it here for you non-social peeps (lol).

So, folks have been wondering what the value is of our Lightnings...how the price is trending. HERE IS SOME VALUABLE INFO.

On April 6, Mecum auctioned six Gen 2 Lightnings.

#1, Red 2002, all original, 1,866 miles, sold for $53,900 (est. was $35-40k).

#2, Red 2004, all original, 2,251 miles, sold for $41,800 (est. was $35-40k).

#3, DSG 2004, all original (except radio), 53,493 miles, sold for $29,700 (est. was $25-30k).

#4, White 2001, all original, 11,775 miles, sold for $26,400 (est. was $25-30k).

#5, Sonic Blue 2003, all original, 30,571 miles, sold for $25,300 (est. was $25-30k).

#6, Black 2003, all original, 25,493 miles, sold for $25,300 (est. was $25-30k).

....and remember, in addition to this was the entry fee, and I believe Mecum charges 5% commission on the winning bid.... I would also note that six 454SS trucks sold. None brought more than $27,500, yet they were produced in lower numbers. These trucks rivaled the Gen2s in their condition and mileage.

It is of my opinion that if you have a low mileage truck, no mods (or it can be returned to stock), one or two owner, excellent condition, then you have a truck that is trending well in value for the future. These types of trucks are becoming VERY HARD to find. They are either modded heavily, or just plain daily driven trucks.

See less See more
#2 ·
All that and I get an offer of $8k on my 2000 with 130k. :(

#6 ·
If you took off 110-120,000 miles they might be close to those that sold at Mecum

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: stoffer
#7 ·
I was sorely tempted to go down there and try to get one of those 454SS's. Back in 2000 when I bought my first Lightning, I test drove one with a Whipple blower and flip chip. It was pretty damn impressive, as one would expect of a 454 ci motor with a blower. There's no replacement for displacement! Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown! ;)

#8 ·
My 03 also has 190K miles and itz da bes truck eva!

Reactions: cbxer55
#10 ·
#11 ·
doesn't seem out of the ordinary considering used car lots are selling them for those prices here in SoCal. I wouldn't pay this much though. I'd buy cheapest and cash flow to make it like new again, etc.
That was my thought too, but it didn’t work out that way. $20k later it still needs a motor. Not worth it.

#12 ·
Folks need to realize WHY those trucks were selling for that much. UBER LOW MILEAGE and PRISTINE and STOCK (or very lightly and tastefully modded). They didn't sell for that because they're ultra rare and super high value just for the name sake alone. So yes trucks with 100k+ miles are going to go for pennies on the dollar compared to ones with 1k miles.

Watch though, we'll have classified threads popping up asking 25k for 100k mile trucks "because the *same* truck just went for $40k at Mecum with just a *few* less miles!" lol

#17 ·
Isn’t this what happened to the Fox body market twice now? You can’t find a beat to hell fox now for less than 5k. I bought a clean, sub 100k mile 90 5.0LX for 2,600 back in 2010. Sold for 3,800 in 2013 and now that cars worth 7k.. it’ll be interesting to see how the trucks do in the future. How about the 1st gens? Was there any increase in value since they’re close to antique age in some states?

#18 ·
Gen1 Lightnings only bring about $8-10K for well built and nice examples over 50K miles. The real low mileage stock examples bring as much as any sold for new. Up to about $22K for the absolute best examples. But any real miles or mods and the prices they command are not that great.

Jim

#20 ·
I'm starting to think that Lightnings are more of a girl truck. Think about it the most famous person to own a GEN1 is likely Lady Gaga, and the most famous person I can remember to own a GEN2 is Lisa Sparxx.

#24 ·
I guess I'll keep my 02 TB with 31k miles for a while then, lol. Planned on it anyway but I feel solid about only paying $18k for mine when it had 28k miles.

What sort of low miles does everyone have here? 100k plus obviously doesn't qualify. Haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.