Lightning Rodder banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Than my truck immediately fell on its face and suffered severe detonation. props to ne one who has beaten one of these cars. i thought for sure i had all the mods needed to do it...ne way here r a couple pics from my fiances' phone. he honestly couldnt pull me til my truck started to backfire and detonate. we did several pulls from 60mph, and 80mph

p.s. the dude rolled down his window and askd me how much HP? i told him and he said my truck was dope!(young rockstar lookn dude too)

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
What is your truck puttin down?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
650rwhp on a fully built 3.4l whipple/Trickflow combo. i have sum serious issues with this truck that i cant get rite..im trying desperately to set a date with [email protected] to jus get my street tune dialed in...changing plugs every 2days shouldnt be "its a racecar excuse". my truck will not go over 100+mph without detonating and fouln plugs. i jus simply dont know what to do nemore to get my truck rite. sum say its my cams, sum say its my injectors and fuel system being clogged, sum say its more than enuff HP for the street(lmao), sum say no matter what my truck makes id never be happy(again,lmao). i jus want it to run rite and be what it should b on the streets. I DONT CARE about what it mite/can/will do at the track on c16 racetune. i m jus very upset with all my problems wit this truck. it is honestly never running rite! the street tune should be rite before we go ne further with ne other advanced tuning. i will stay at it and try to have a positive attitude. honestly, this truck runs and drives like S^*t

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice, aerodynamics killed you on the top end.
WRONG! eventually yes, i would have been left behind. but at 120mph, my truck literally detonated and shut down completely followed by all types of back firing...now other trucks with the mod list i have, have survived up to the high 130'smph wit no problems

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
rkupon1, Have you data-logged your IAT-2 temperatures when your having issues.

Bob

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
rkupon1, Have you data-logged your IAT-2 temperatures when your having issues.
i have an aeroforce gauge and im usually within 5*-10* of ambient air temp

Bob
i have an aeroforce gauge and im usually within 5*-10* of ambient air temp

Nice vid bro!!!!!

Call me when your free and well get some shit done on your beast.
thanx bro..im hopn too asap. i jus wanna really get my truck running rite first, and these baby steps arnt gunna help me enjoy the truck on my street tune. eventually sumthing is gunna give...

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
The Aeroforce gauge has a IAT-1 and IAT-2 but neither of those are correct. The Air Charge temperature is our IAT-2 temperatures.

Bob

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
Nice talking to you yesterday. With a performance build the magnitude of yours, there is a lot to sort out. It is a big frustration, but part of this hobby. To me, figuring out problems is a big part of the fun. It tests us mentally. I like that.

I know you want it right. But forcing the issue by repeatedly romping on it is gonna bite you sooner or later. Get it right. THEN have your fun. I know it can be tuned for high speed street running. But until then try to lay off the Lambos!

Oh yeah. Mine went 138 yesterday with more HP. So it CAN be done without wasting plugs when all is right. But my build was done in May. Yesterday was the first high load test. All issues have been dealt with before I let it eat a bit.

Jim

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
Ryan,

I recieved your voicemail this evening and I'm sorry I couldnt get the phonecall but I had my Son in the bathtub and taking care of him.

You have a problem with your truck, an undiagnosed problem yet you continue to run the truck hard doing very high speed runs against other vehicles on the street. One minute its fine and the next its not. Last night you ran at the track twice down the entire 1/4 mile with no problem on a very safe 650hp(roughly) tune. You even told me that after you checked your plugs at the track yesterday, and found nothing wrong with them, that you took your truck out for a blast and everything was fine up to 120mph then you proceeded to race it last night again with no problems. Sounds to me that you have an intermittant problem or a problem that only rears its ugly head at high speeds on the street.

With that said there is no way a tune is going to give you an intermittant problem such as this.

You picked your truck up from me here and it ran great, on and off the dyno. We had plans for you to go to MIR for some shakedown runs and tuning at the track but never made it so yesterday was the first time I had seen the truck since you installed your fuel system. We lost valuable tuning time at MIR and yesterday was a wash for me as well considering you only got to racing at the TNT and not during the time I was there.

Something is going on with the truck, maybe electrical, maybe fuel system related I really dont know but what I do know is that the tune is dead on and gave you no problems last night at the track, on the dyno here or during our test drive tuning. Tunes dont magically change.

This problem needs to be diagnosed and fixed, its that simple.

JJ

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice talking to you yesterday. With a performance build the magnitude of yours, there is a lot to sort out. It is a big frustration, but part of this hobby. To me, figuring out problems is a big part of the fun. It tests us mentally. I like that.

I know you want it right. But forcing the issue by repeatedly romping on it is gonna bite you sooner or later. Get it right. THEN have your fun. I know it can be tuned for high speed street running. But until then try to lay off the Lambos!

Oh yeah. Mine went 138 yesterday with more HP. So it CAN be done without wasting plugs when all is right. But my build was done in May. Yesterday was the first high load test. All issues have been dealt with before I let it eat a bit.

Jim
jim, trucks like urs r what made me think spending 25k on a build was worth it.. but honestly its getting harder to sort out these problems over the phone. especially since they were present since the day after i picked the truck up..this thing aint rite, and takin these lil baby steps to get the street driving rite is a waste of time. baby steps work fine for building a racetune and always wanting to better ur previous run. but what do have to do to get it running correctly on the street wit these modifications. and its alot more than jus wot at high speeds. i invite ne one down to bayville to drive my truck around town subtly! im fully insured, so com on over. its complete crap to drive. it bucks, pops, spits, tries to stall, search for idle,etc. im really wanting to have a day spent on it jus workn on the tuning for the street driving 93 octane tune. i ve tried approaching this with anger and got no results, i tried being nice about fixing it and am told alil at a time will get it rite, i ve been told im married to this build and cant go elsewhere cuz of these stupid heads and cams. i dont know what to do nemore or where to go with the truck..my money is green and always was green. yet 8mos after starting the build, the truck is still unenjoyable even driving around town or highway racing. if i dont get this trial and error street driving crap rite, my truck is gunna end up being hurt. and thats not fair. like i said before, i shouldnt have to change/check plugs every 2 days. i shouldnt feel inimidated when i ask questions or use other trucks as comparison. up until now i ve been very hesitant in posting ne of this cuz i didnt wanna start trouble between me, my tuner/builder, and others who have nuthing to do with it. but im jus bout outta options at this point. i feel strongly that my truck deserves sum attention wether its tuning or mechanical issues that r hurting it. this truck is fully built and has damn near every supporting mod possible. i aint lookn for world record numbers here...jus a decent running truck.

·
Administrator
18,753 Posts
Ryan, thanks for the recognition. But I assure you it is not just pick parts, bolt together and go. If you recall, mine went in the JDM shop in November. It did not come back to me until May. Jim takes great care ensuring drivability is good(better than I require) before letting the customer pick it up. Even the day I was to pick it up I got to Jersey to find it apart in the shop. Jim felt a slight miss and was yanking stuff out to find it. Turned out to be a faulty brand new injector. If he had not felt that very slight miss I would have most likely had an issue. It went out on a tune making less than 600HP with no timing or boost. Just to work out bugs. It was broken in on the dyno for the SS rings. So no real breakin was needed. Yet we spent this time evaluating the truck and tune. I took a shakedown pass at the Summer rental on street tires. Just a bit of playing to learn a bit more. I put in MS103 on that rediculously mild tune for added safety. I had too much invested to hurt it for no reason. We then altered the tune to add some boost and timing, but we are far from finished.

You are not married to anything. Any competant tuner can handle your needs. But JJ has the most direct experience with this type of setup. And I am sure wants it sorted out. You know what your choices are. And you know it is gonna eat itself if you continue to push it.

Good luck,:smt023

Jim

·
Registered
8,478 Posts
jim, trucks like urs r what made me think spending 25k on a build was worth it.. but honestly its getting harder to sort out these problems over the phone. especially since they were present since the day after i picked the truck up..this thing aint rite, and takin these lil baby steps to get the street driving rite is a waste of time. baby steps work fine for building a racetune and always wanting to better ur previous run. but what do have to do to get it running correctly on the street wit these modifications. and its alot more than jus wot at high speeds. i invite ne one down to bayville to drive my truck around town subtly! im fully insured, so com on over. its complete crap to drive. it bucks, pops, spits, tries to stall, search for idle,etc. im really wanting to have a day spent on it jus workn on the tuning for the street driving 93 octane tune. i ve tried approaching this with anger and got no results, i tried being nice about fixing it and am told alil at a time will get it rite, i ve been told im married to this build and cant go elsewhere cuz of these stupid heads and cams. i dont know what to do nemore or where to go with the truck..my money is green and always was green. yet 8mos after starting the build, the truck is still unenjoyable even driving around town or highway racing. if i dont get this trial and error street driving crap rite, my truck is gunna end up being hurt. and thats not fair. like i said before, i shouldnt have to change/check plugs every 2 days. i shouldnt feel inimidated when i ask questions or use other trucks as comparison. up until now i ve been very hesitant in posting ne of this cuz i didnt wanna start trouble between me, my tuner/builder, and others who have nuthing to do with it. but im jus bout outta options at this point. i feel strongly that my truck deserves sum attention wether its tuning or mechanical issues that r hurting it. this truck is fully built and has damn near every supporting mod possible. i aint lookn for world record numbers here...jus a decent running truck.

Your truck ran just fine when it was here and after you picked it up. You hurt a plug racing something, put a new set of plugs in and it ran good afterwards. You even stated that it ran perfect last night but then after another street blast it started running poorly again. I said for you to check everything to make sure nothing came unhooked or was unplugged.

Your above post makes it sound like the truck has never run right and thats just dead wrong. It ran like a champ here, drove 40 miles to and from the dyno and during tuning with no problems and plenty of WOT pulls on the street and on the dyno. You drove it 140 miles home and even called me afterwards to say how bad ass the truck was and how great it drove so dont come into this thread and post up that its always ran like crap.

Nothing that I do or say seems to help you understand anything about your truck, its build or what needs to be done to figure out whats going on. You could have simply had a bad tank of gas when you ate a plug, you could still have trash in your fuel rails or injectors after installing your own fuel cells and pump, you could have a failing pump or faulty wiring, or a million other things that could be causing your issues and without looking at it and diagnosing it properly how am I supposed to help?

Lay off the "its always ran like crap" stuff ok, that offends me and its incredibly incorrect. If you chunked a plug after racing a lambo because of maybe one in a million different reasons then sure its going to run bad but dont lay the blame on me.

JJ

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ryan,

I recieved your voicemail this evening and I'm sorry I couldnt get the phonecall but I had my Son in the bathtub and taking care of him.

You have a problem with your truck, an undiagnosed problem yet you continue to run the truck hard doing very high speed runs against other vehicles on the street. One minute its fine and the next its not. Last night you ran at the track twice down the entire 1/4 mile with no problem on a very safe 650hp(roughly) tune. You even told me that after you checked your plugs at the track yesterday, and found nothing wrong with them, that you took your truck out for a blast and everything was fine up to 120mph then you proceeded to race it last night again with no problems. Sounds to me that you have an intermittant problem or a problem that only rears its ugly head at high speeds on the street.

With that said there is no way a tune is going to give you an intermittant problem such as this.

You picked your truck up from me here and it ran great, on and off the dyno. We had plans for you to go to MIR for some shakedown runs and tuning at the track but never made it so yesterday was the first time I had seen the truck since you installed your fuel system. We lost valuable tuning time at MIR and yesterday was a wash for me as well considering you only got to racing at the TNT and not during the time I was there.

Something is going on with the truck, maybe electrical, maybe fuel system related I really dont know but what I do know is that the tune is dead on and gave you no problems last night at the track, on the dyno here or during our test drive tuning. Tunes dont magically change.

This problem needs to be diagnosed and fixed, its that simple.

JJ
one of my biggest problems is that the TNT adjustments u wanna make r all on racetune/c16. what bout my pumpgas tune???im very convinced it aint rite and showd u no troubles. but however u did tune it with 93 and added sum c16 to it(5gal). that was unfair to the pumpgas tune. now maybe it purred like a kitten on ur dyno. but remeber this, kevin(smokn02) truck also purred like a kitten on jlp s dyno. than over the nex couple months, he started fouln plugs left and rite, and eventually blew a head gasket after severe detonation. so in my opinion, it left there jus "fine" too. but was it ever really fine? didnt sound like it. im telling u str8 up, this truck fould a plug and blew a vaccuum line off the day after i got it back(which was a day before i did my fuel system). i agree sumthing is hurting the truck. im very confident that its a mechanical problem of sorts too, and not ur fault. i have faith in ur skills and tuning. but the facts r my truck is and was messed up! one minute its fine and the next its not. that kinda stuff is making me crazy so early on in the game. aint like im asking for a lifetime warranty, even if a fuse pops! i want a good running truck first and foremost. 4get about racing or c16 tuning all together. i called today with the intentions of setting up a date with u me and my truck. i feel it deserves that much. i told u id pay for more of ur time. and obviously everytime we think we fixed it, i found out differently after i go wot over 100+mph. so theres not to many other ways to test the adjustments we made other than doing jus that.. the track results were worthless cuz i was again running racefuel. those conditions tel us nothing bout whats wrong with it on pumpgas. i was polite today on the phone and tried to understand ur thinking. i jus dont get it. my phonecall today accomplished nothing more than lets try more lil things and c if thats it. ok fine,lets do it. than i make the changes and go 4 it. how else am i to c if those changes work under 100+ wot.
tearing apart my whole fuel system lookn for threads of fiber that made it thru not 1 but 2 100micron fuel filters with a magnifying glass is alot of work and time for a hunch. the same plug not being fouled out kinda rules out the clogged injector theory. and i told u this happnd also before i did the back half of the fuel system. if im wrong, than id gladly pay cash for it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
[smilie=po

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Ryan, is it melting plugs down or is it fouling them most of the time?...I know your cams have a bunch of overlap and that makes any car a little more difficult to drive on the street, especially a forced induction motor...With the intake and exhaust valve open together for so long with the big overlap, it could be mixing the intake and exhaust charge together, especially at lower RPM's.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your truck ran just fine when it was here and after you picked it up. You hurt a plug racing something, put a new set of plugs in and it ran good afterwards. You even stated that it ran perfect last night but then after another street blast it started running poorly again. I said for you to check everything to make sure nothing came unhooked or was unplugged.

Your above post makes it sound like the truck has never run right and thats just dead wrong. It ran like a champ here, drove 40 miles to and from the dyno and during tuning with no problems and plenty of WOT pulls on the street and on the dyno. You drove it 140 miles home and even called me afterwards to say how bad ass the truck was and how great it drove so dont come into this thread and post up that its always ran like crap.

Nothing that I do or say seems to help you understand anything about your truck, its build or what needs to be done to figure out whats going on. You could have simply had a bad tank of gas when you ate a plug, you could still have trash in your fuel rails or injectors after installing your own fuel cells and pump, you could have a failing pump or faulty wiring, or a million other things that could be causing your issues and without looking at it and diagnosing it properly how am I supposed to help?

Lay off the "its always ran like crap" stuff ok, that offends me and its incredibly incorrect. If you chunked a plug after racing a lambo because of maybe one in a million different reasons then sure its going to run bad but dont lay the blame on me.

JJ
i called up 2day to set up a date..and sure enuff, nothing was set. no more phone diagnosing. my truck needs REAL attention! this isnt a bs thread or joke...listen to what im sayn for once! the truck isnt and has never been rite...i dont call idling in a driveway a success story. the truck feeling fine never lasts for 2 srt8 days. its hit or miss, which means it aint rite. i ve never once blamed u. but i get opinions from other friends and people all the time based on what is said. it doesnt mean that ur the only one who is rite and they r all wrong, nor does it mean they rite and u wrong. but i can tell u what is wrong,....my truck driving from point a-b.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.