Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be getting some 20" rims in the near future (I'm still debating on whether or not to stay with 18's). Anyway, if I do get them is there any other way to flash the computer to recognize a taller tire/wheel size. If I go with 20's I may go with a 275/45/20 or a 255/50/20 tire, which are both taller than stock. I guess what I'm trying to do is not buy a programmer if I don't have to.

Will the dealership reflash for this? Or would it be easier to get a Predator tuner? And with the Predator can you just adjust the tire height without messing with any of the other programming options?

·
Registered
270 Posts
ill ask my friend he works at ford and ill get back to you. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
i just talked to my friend and he said he would ask his manager if he can reprogram the pcm to a different wheel size and if not you can buy a speedomoter recalbration box like what the mustang guys use when they change their rear end gears if the speedo is the only thing your worried about. ill let you know as soon as he tells me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should be able to reprogram it with the wds (ford dealer)

generally you have to program it with the number of revolutions per mile - its the best to phone the tire maker for that info as not all tires are the same size (even if the have the same size stamping)

If you go to ford to get it done - try and get your tire rev/mile first so that they don't have to look (they may also just use a general spec if they can't find the info)

IT would probaly cost you 1.0 hour labour.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I run a very large 20" tire on mine, a 305/40-20 which is about 29.6" tall verses the stock 18's which are approx. 28.4 inches tall.
No problems so far without a computer adjustment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts