Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I'd start a journal of sorts for the new build. Hopefully I can get some good feedback from members and be a good source of info for others that decide to do the same.

I'm pretty much done with 1/4 mile stuff after getting my 10 second pass back in 2013. What I want to do now is to do more 1/2 mile events and some mountain/street duty.

Rough details of the build:
  • Re-use existing aluminum Ford GT block, .20+ bore, 9:1 CR
  • Navigator DOHC heads, port and polished by Chris Howe
  • Bullet turbo cams
  • Single Borg Warner S475 turbo
  • Cobra Jet intake manifold
  • Garrett 4" A/A Intercooler
  • Re-use Circle D 258mm 3k billet stall converter
  • Hydroboost conversion with SS brake lines

SVTCharlie and I got an unbelievably good deal on a navigator motor from Ride The and we split it up, he took the block and I the heads. He will be taking my JDM heads along with a built bottom end and will be turning his truck up to 11. I have pretty much fully committed myself to this build, having sold my most of my supercharged stuff and purchasing quite a bit of DOHC bits. These are the heads as I received them.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Compact car Vehicle

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part

Been trying to figure out how much of the 2V parts will swap over to the 4V. To my knowledge, this is what will or wont.
Timing components that WILL crossover:
  • Crankshaft timing gear
  • Crankshaft timing trigger wheel
  • Primary timing chains
  • Primary timing chain tensioners

Timing components that WONT crossover:
  • Chain guides
  • Obviously timing cover and secondary chain drive components not present on 2V heads

After looking at them and speaking with a few people, I was convinced that I should have them ported, especially the exhaust side. I'm pretty excited because after some searching, I got connected with Chris Howe who does all the head work for John Kaase. These things should be friggin primo when he gets done with them. I'll be getting them to him in the next few weeks after I can get the 2V motor pulled out of the truck.

As far as intake choices go, they are pretty limited and I didn't like the uneven runners of the sullivan intake manifolds. I decided to go with a Cobra Jet intake manifold with some adapters from MMR. It'll look pretty damn sharp when fully assembled. One thing I didn't like when I opened the box is how the hardware is in a plastic bag that is sliding and banging around inside the box. No padding or cushion at all, so some of the runners are scuffed and you can see some cuts where they trimmed the plastic after pulling it out of the molds. So I'm going to get it over to my buddy Dean and Dean's Paint and Body to get it repainted for me. I'm just worried that it won't clear under the firewall with the 4V heads, so I'll probably have to massage up the firewall as some have already suggested to me. I set it on top of the motor with 2v heads to get an idea of what it'll look like. Going to look amazing once complete.

Engine Vehicle Car Auto part Technology

Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive engine part

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Car

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Finger

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got some of the valvetrain already...

Manley 30mm exhaust and 37mm intake valves with Bead-loc valvelocks
PAC Springs and Retainers

Still need to order some lifters and will reuse the stock rocker arms.

Photography Auto part Metal Nut

Putter Metal Steel

Reactions: shcctx

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
Sub'd. Really looking forward to this build, as I know this is ultimately where I'll end up. Keep up the good work and post all the info you can!

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Youre gonna need more turbine and compressor for that setup

Half mile event youll run into back pressure

Find a turbo that has a turbine in the 80s

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,657 Posts
you'll have a 9:1 DOHC setup if you are using the same pistons as the 10:1 two valve setup

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,657 Posts
have you decided which cop / injector harness you will use??

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Youre gonna need more turbine and compressor for that setup

Half mile event youll run into back pressure

Find a turbo that has a turbine in the 80s
The 1/2 mile races is something I may only do once a year for fun and I can swap in a larger AR housing for when I do decide to run one. If this was a dedicated race truck that see's more track duty than street duty then I would agree with you guys. 98% of the time this truck will be cruising the street or up in the mountains, so I favor low end response over top end in those cases. This is why I am strongly considering the 7675.

you'll have a 9:1 DOHC setup if you are using the same pistons as the 10:1 two valve setup
I will be getting a new set of pistons for this 4v. I am not able to make any decisions on dish size yet though until my heads are finished and I know chamber volume. I seem to remember someone saying they're running .550 lift cams

I hear competing thoughts on valve reliefs in the pistons though. JDM said they run .550 lift and a low-dish or flat top piston without any reliefs, and some say definitely you have to have them. If anyone else can shed light on this issue I'd appreciate it.

have you decided which cop / injector harness you will use??
I am looking for a navigator engine harness but no luck there yet. Most junkyards will not separate the harness from the engine. I will most likely end up modifying the stock harness to fit.

If anyone knows of one I'd appreciate a heads up.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,657 Posts
I am looking for a navigator engine harness but no luck there yet. Most junkyards will not separate the harness from the engine. I will most likely end up modifying the stock harness to fit.

If anyone knows of one I'd appreciate a heads up.

you have to extend the passenger side coil wires

and reverse the wires in the coil plugs

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Swapping AR isnt gonna help as much as a larger turbine

Baggedsvt has a 8284 on a weak 2v and it drives fine on street

Being 4v go bigger

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,677 Posts
is that plastic intake going to be able to hold up okay for boost?

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ford says it is rated for 20+ psi. Some guys have run it regularly in the low 20s, some up to 27 without issue. Saw another fella try to run over 30 and grenaded it.

The only other intake options that I'm fond of cost over $2k and I'm not trying to break any records. 20 psi should put me well beyond of my power goals for the street.

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,677 Posts
good info, and I guess it's not too bad of a starting point because if you eventually get to the point where you want more than 20 PSI, it's not the hardest for someone to make a sheetmetal one to fit within the same envelope area as an upgrade to the build down the road.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How much have you run through it?

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
My boss hasnt been used but im referring to my boosted LS experience with plastic intakes

Unless the ford intakes are garbage then i wouldnt worry

·
Likes the corn brew
5,338 Posts
I've also been looking at a BW S400 with an 83mm turbine.

http://stores.customracingturbos.com/s400-80mm-standard-cover/

Pretty good price. $895
That's a good direction. I got a custom built one from Mike Turbo with the race compressor housing and FMW for ~160. Most of that cost came from adapting the 87mm turbine wheel to a t6 housing. The same in a T4 should be around 1100-1200. Definitely get the race cover.

Ford says it is rated for 20+ psi. Some guys have run it regularly in the low 20s, some up to 27 without issue. Saw another fella try to run over 30 and grenaded it.

The only other intake options that I'm fond of cost over $2k and I'm not trying to break any records. 20 psi should put me well beyond of my power goals for the street.
My truck made 890 rwhp on 21 psi and pump gas, you'll be fine. Mine did that with stock FGT heads/cams and a crappier intercooler.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts