Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Trying to dig up some info. I'm converting from the vacuum booster to a hydratech hydroboost unit....the real Purdy show finished one, all machined smooth casting, painted/cleared/baked, polished plate and accumulator, re-clocked, the works :D

Anyway, along with that, I'm redoing the brake lines from factory spaghetti mess to polished stainless steel 3AN brake tubing. Trying to figure out all the thread types/sizes to convert directly from the master cylinder from inverted flare (IF) to -3AN.

From what I was able to measure, here's what I've got. If there's any corrections, please post up...

Cruise control switch port (on MC): 3/8-24 IF
Forward brake line port (on MC): 9/16-18 IF
Rearward brake line port (on adaptor): 7/16-24 IF
Rearward brake port adaptor (on MC): M18-1.5 O-ring

So the first three are easy, I can get those size adaptors to go from x/y/z IF to 3AN. The last one is the tricky part. That rear port adaptor is an odd fitting. From what I've read here (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1376447-mystery-fitting-on-2001-f150-v6-brake-master-cylinder.html) that rear brass fitting is just an adaptor for ABS trucks, and a proportioning valve on non-ABS trucks. Well I've deleted ABS long ago, so is there any other adaptor I can buy that can convert right from M18-1.5 O-ring to 3AN and eliminate that brass chunk? Or does anyone know the ford PN for the proportioning valve that would get installed there?

·
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So here seems to be the OEM proportioning valve:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-BRA...VE-E150-350-F150-250-350-BRONCO-/281559789943

Wondering if anyone has swapped this in that has done an ABS delete. I haven't had any issues where I felt any braking unbalance with the ABS deleted and the factory adaptor fitting instead of the factory proportioning valve, *BUT* if it's the better route to go, since I'm redoing things anyway, I don't mind converting it if it's the better route to go.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It was either 03 or 04 they dropped the Proportioning valve. The line goes straight in to the MC then. I have run an 03/04 MC on my 00 since 2007 no issues, still have ABS.

I would eliminate it at this point

·
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was either 03 or 04 they dropped the Proportioning valve. The line goes straight in to the MC then. I have run an 03/04 MC on my 00 since 2007 no issues, still have ABS.

I would eliminate it at this point
The proportioning valve or the adaptor, or both? (ie do all 03-04 ABS & non-ABS trucks just use the adaptor, or were all 03-04 ABS & non-ABS trucks MC redesigned to be IF on that rear port rather than M18x1.5 O-ring). I'm assuming the latter from your second sentence, just wanted to be sure.

From what I'm seeing only non-ABS trucks came with a proportioning valve and ABS trucks came with the thru-adaptor. The adaptor is just straight through, and the hole appears to be the same size as the hole in the MC (haven't measured yet), so I didn't expect any issues deleting it. If the 03-04 MC is direct IF on that rear port rather than M18x1.5 O-ring that's definitely a cleaner route for me to go. I'll have to hit up tasca for a new MC!

So for the 03/04 MC with the adaptor/proportioning valve

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
No adaptor, the brake line attached straight to the master cylinder. So in other words the 03/04 MC wont accept the proportioning valve or adaptor. I'm assuming they redesigned it.

You can disassemble the proportioning valve and remove the metering device as well.

·
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No adaptor, the brake line attached straight to the master cylinder. So in other words the 03/04 MC wont accept the proportioning valve or adaptor. I'm assuming they redesigned it.

You can disassemble the proportioning valve and remove the metering device as well.
Awesome, looks like I'll be ordering a 03/04 master cylinder then, one less fitting to clutter things up with the adaptor in there.

Now, anybody have a PN? lol

·
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Digging up options, no confirmation on fitting sizes though if that the rear line is actually -IF thread instead of M18x1.5 o-ring thread for these PNs:

http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...8-gas-engine/brakes-cat/hydraulic-system-scat

I think I'm going to try 3L3Z2140BA since it's for an extended cab 4 door, disc rear brake, no cruise control, so I'm assuming it won't have the port on the front for that cruise control switch that I was going to cap off anyway
http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/f-15...raulic-system-scat/?part_name=master-cylinder

Lightning guys would use 1L1Z2140BA to accomplish the same thing, regular cab 2 door, disc rear brake, no cruise control
http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/f-15...raulic-system-scat/?part_name=master-cylinder

For guys with extended cab 4 door or supercrew 4 door, disc rear brake, but with cruise control, it would be YL1Z-2140-AC, and for guys with regular cab 2 door, disc rear brake, but with cruise control, it would be 1L1Z-2140-AB

Now I'm wondering what is the difference in the master cylinder between the reg cab wheelbase and extended/screw cab wheelbase.

*edit* another wrench in the mix, even pulling PNs for a 2000 it gives me the same PN for the MC. Can anyone with a 03+ truck confirm the PN on their MC for me? I'm hoping Ford just did a full update and the PNs above are for direct IF attachment, and if someone with an older truck needs to hook up to it, they just chuck the adaptor/proportioning valve.

·
NO SPONSORS
5,690 Posts
Josh why not get the fancy wilwood one?

·
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Josh why not get the fancy wilwood one?
That one was very Purdy, but my build still is a balance of function over looks. I'll upgrade parts if they look better if there's not a sacrifice to function. I don't like how the wilwood one has a full top cover, instead of just a cap. With as often as I bleed and flush my brakes, I love using my Motive products power bleeder that screws right onto the cap. Motive Products does make a plate and gasket that would work on the wilwood style one, but it gets chained down around the body of the MC, it's a royal PITA and messy to use, my '85 MC is like that so I already have the motive products adaptor for it. So the HD I'm keeping a MC with a cap.

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
Digging up options, no confirmation on fitting sizes though if that the rear line is actually -IF thread instead of M18x1.5 o-ring thread for these PNs:

http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...8-gas-engine/brakes-cat/hydraulic-system-scat

I think I'm going to try 3L3Z2140BA since it's for an extended cab 4 door, disc rear brake, no cruise control, so I'm assuming it won't have the port on the front for that cruise control switch that I was going to cap off anyway

Lightning guys would use 1L1Z2140BA to accomplish the same thing, regular cab 2 door, disc rear brake, no cruise control

For guys with extended cab 4 door or supercrew 4 door, disc rear brake, but with cruise control, it would be YL1Z-2140-AC, and for guys with regular cab 2 door, disc rear brake, but with cruise control, it would be 1L1Z-2140-AB

Now I'm wondering what is the difference in the master cylinder between the reg cab wheelbase and extended/screw cab wheelbase.

*edit* another wrench in the mix, even pulling PNs for a 2000 it gives me the same PN for the MC. Can anyone with a 03+ truck confirm the PN on their MC for me? I'm hoping Ford just did a full update and the PNs above are for direct IF attachment, and if someone with an older truck needs to hook up to it, they just chuck the adaptor/proportioning valve.
i can look tonight. my 03 did not have the PV.

·
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have my mc off my o3 hd if u want it. i switched to the hydro boost with black wilwood mc
Appreciate the offer but I'm actually swapping to one without the cruise control switch in the front. This way it's not a fitting plugging that hole off, it's just nothing there at all.

Tried to order it from my local dealer and they wanted like $225. I said tasca Ford sells it for $135, so they said well $205. I said yeah that's not even close, so then he said he can do $175 but he's gotta make something on it. I said yeah you're still almost $50 off, plus sales tax, no thanks. Then he says let me ask you a question, is cost a factor?....ummmm no shit Sherlock lol. $5, $10, even $20 difference is one thing, but almost $50 difference, and either way it's special order and I have to wait....no thanks!

So just need to order from Tasca, then I can get started on brake lines.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Appreciate the offer but I'm actually swapping to one without the cruise control switch in the front. This way it's not a fitting plugging that hole off, it's just nothing there at all.

Tried to order it from my local dealer and they wanted like $225. I said tasca Ford sells it for $135, so they said well $205. I said yeah that's not even close, so then he said he can do $175 but he's gotta make something on it. I said yeah you're still almost $50 off, plus sales tax, no thanks. Then he says let me ask you a question, is cost a factor?....ummmm no shit Sherlock lol. $5, $10, even $20 difference is one thing, but almost $50 difference, and either way it's special order and I have to wait....no thanks!

So just need to order from Tasca, then I can get started on brake lines.
You gonna write up a how to with part numbers?

·
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You gonna write up a how to with part numbers?
I'll put the fitting size info in my winter mod thread when I post the update for doing the brakes. Not going to do a full how-to on swapping to SS hard line and AN fittings though because if you're at the point of re-doing that, a step-by-step how to isn't really necessary lol.

I'll post what I find on fitting sizes, etc. though so it's easier for anyone the next go-around.

·
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wanted to update this, I got the 3L3Z2140BA from Tasca and indeed it's exactly what I had hoped, no fitting for the proportioning valve/adaptor, just the direct attachment to IF fittings, and there's no fitting at all on the front side for the cruise control switch, which means that wiring and sensor can now be deleted with my long gone cruise control itself. Cleans things up nicely!

Plus the brand new MC and brand new MC tank look really nice, wasn't bad at all for $130 shipped. Can't wait to bolt it up to my show-finish Hydratech unit!

Thanks again for the insight guys about that adaptor/proportioning valve fitting!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'd like to see pic of how you run the lines if you can,thinking of doing the hyroboost swap on the 03 Harley of mine. I'm assuming I can reuse my MC and Reservoir with this,right?? Just need a new pedal and maybe a line or two, kinda in the dark with this mod. Thanks.

·
14,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you can reuse your master cylinder and brake lines with the hydraboost swap. You don't even need to disconnect a single brake line. You need to run new power steering lines though to put the hydraboost in-line of the high pressure line.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts