Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lowered with drop spindles and drop shackles, shock extenders in the back. Truck has 38k on it with the stock shocks. The worst part about the ride, to me anyway, is that over any bump the truck just keeps moving/rolling/bouncing around which kind of exaggerates everything. Doing the standard push down on the bumper test the shocks react ok but I know thats not a great test

Is there a Bilstein HD or some other shock/strut combo that I could use to calm it down a little? I know we can use the Strange adjustables for a mustang in the rear (would I still use the shock extenders?)

·
GET SOME!
240 Posts
my truck is pretty firm, I am lowered with panhard bar and hellwig sways, with adjustable tie rod ends, with belltech street performance shocks and i am happy with the way it rides. But in the works this winter is the 4 link and coilovers

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am lowered with ground force coils in front, and jlp drop shackles in the rear... I threw some QA1's on, with a LFP steering stabilizer, and the ride is 100x better! Steering is responsive and firm, and the truck doesnt wander or float on bit bumps. Best investment ive made so far on the L!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I second the panhard bar, this one addition made my truck feel much firmer, especially around bumpy corners.
DO IT.

·
7th Fetzer valve, yeah...
2,143 Posts
With the spindles, I kept the stock shocks and springs. So to tighten the front up, I used the Mr Gasket black spring rubbers. They firm it up well. I installed them with the springs out, and even then it was tough. +1 on the panhard too.

·
Banned for Bullshitting about 6/8 Drop
3,137 Posts
thats odd, my truck rides more firm than my friends bmw that is flushed on coil overs. i have a 2/4.5 eibach drop and stock bilsteins...maybe some shock extenders will firm up the ride a bit?

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
my truck is pretty firm, I am lowered with panhard bar and hellwig sways, with adjustable tie rod ends, with belltech street performance shocks and i am happy with the way it rides. But in the works this winter is the 4 link and coilovers

add a steering stabilizer and enjoy it...

(maybe consider adding a chassis brace)

·
Ford Certified Technician
5,194 Posts
i run an eibach sportline system and nice and stiff up front with reduced roll..... as far as shock sytem im using beltec street performance all four corners.....
everything is nice and firm and doesn't pull in bumps or anything..... feels nice and planted

only thing i wish i had was some kind of steering stabalizer cause my wheels now have 120000 miles on them and even though they are balanced they shimmy a little at around 45-55 and i can feel it through the steering wheel.

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i run an eibach sportline system and nice and stiff up front with reduced roll..... as far as shock sytem im using beltec street performance all four corners.....
everything is nice and firm and doesn't pull in bumps or anything..... feels nice and planted

only thing i wish i had was some kind of steering stabalizer cause my wheels now have 120000 miles on them and even though they are balanced they shimmy a little at around 45-55 and i can feel it through the steering wheel.
I just dont think Id use a steering stabilizer to cover up a shitty balance job or a tweaked rim

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
for everyday use, If you want adjustable at 1/2 the $$ of QA1s, you can get Strange's adjustable's.
IMO I'd replace the shocks no matter what, 38,000 is enough to get them about worn out, especially on a lowered truck. no matter how you've lowered it, chances are the shock travel isn't in the engineered range for them, and will wear out quicker

·
Registered
62 Posts
With the spindles, I kept the stock shocks and springs. So to tighten the front up, I used the Mr Gasket black spring rubbers. They firm it up well. I installed them with the springs out, and even then it was tough. +1 on the panhard too.
Do you have a link to the mr gasket rubbers your talking about?

·
Dual Money Pits
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lightnings do have sway bars front and rear, I think the HDs dont have a rear one?

I have some Hotchkis bars to go on here soon

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
Need more info on Stabalizer bar!!! we dont have one now right? so where does it go? thanx ....sorry for the hijack...

LFP offers 'em, there was a thread last week about a guy who just installe done and wondered why he waited so long to do it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts