Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DSGFTW
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about a 3/4 drop on my truck right now. If I were to buy the LFP, JDM, or JLP longbars they would scrape EVERYWHERE!

So I'm gunna make my own...but I have a couple questions.

I understand the concept behind longbars (converting the energy into forward motion) but where the other companies put the brackets is just to low. My idea is to have the bars attach to the rear like the other longbars but instead of attaching to where the frame dips down for the cab I wanted to put them in the "dip" where the frame drops to make room for the cab.

I was going to make a custom bracket that the bar would connect to and just weld it right into the frame.

Would I still get the same effect and the other longbars?

Any other advice or things I might now be thinking of?

Also does anybody know what kind of steel the frame is on the Lightning? I'm guessing it's just mild steel?

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,603 Posts
If you can hold on a little while, we have a fabricator that is going to be working on a set of long bars that don't hang so low. Probably be starting the design/mock up process this week.

·
DSGFTW
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can hold on a little while, we have a fabricator that is going to be working on a set of long bars that don't hang so low. Probably be starting the design/mock up process this week.
Damn I wanted to do this! Lol

But yes when you get some more info please post it.

I was going to tackle this during December when a Frieda truck will be in the shop as well.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Have you spoke with Brian?
He does know that I get discount/free set since you helped out?

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,603 Posts
Have you spoke with Brian?
He does know that I get discount/free set since you helped out?
Not on the phone, just thru pm's. He has a production order to finish, and then maybe mid-week I'll take everything over there and let him have the truck for a bit to fab it all up.

He said at first that he could probably give you some kind of discount, and then we got to talking...mentioned Keith's name...and that you guys hung out together. "Oh, don't think I can give him any discount." :smt102

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

He said at first that he could probably give you some kind of discount, and then we got to talking...mentioned Keith's name...and that you guys hung out together. "Oh, don't think I can give him any discount." :smt102
Damn he is always ruining stuff

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,603 Posts

·
Poor driver mod
1,414 Posts
how much ground clearance do most long bars give you, in cm please?

I was given a hard time at Vehicle reg with my mustang because the Lower Control Arms in the back are 'too low' they want 11cm or more from the ground for hard parts of the car. :(

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,537 Posts
how much ground clearance do most long bars give you, in cm please?

I was given a hard time at Vehicle reg with my mustang because the Lower Control Arms in the back are 'too low' they want 11cm or more from the ground for hard parts of the car. :(

a lot of it depends on the tire diameter...

·
Poor driver mod
1,414 Posts
The rule to go buy is have nothing lower then your wheels...

So that way if you have a flat you won't bottom out, in theory.
thats true, and i think my relocation's are above the rim, or damn close, but i got pasted them by the skin of my teeth, was just wondering about the ground clearance of long bars.

·
DSGFTW
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jose that guy is Fing retarded and should never fab up any thing else again.

You can't mount something off the side of the frame if it's going to have serious forward forces pushing and pullin on it. You have to make a bracket so that the rod gets held directly in line with the frame pushing the energy into the truck.

That's what you get when you dont know what your doing. Mine wouldn't break ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
xXPattycakes
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing