Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PCHS takes it to a whole new Level of Accuracy and Speed with our unmatched accuracy to blue print any block using our 20 Hp RMC-40 CNC Engine Maching Center!!

I hope Sal pops in and explains it better than I can
BUT

As you know I had EVERYTHING done to my Block

Machine Shop Work

*Bored,
*Balanced,
*Blue Printed,
*Block was Decked
*Crank was RePolished
*Both Heads were Milled
*Spark Plug Inserts were installed
*Aluminum Silicone Bronze Valve Guides
*All other Prep Work needed for reassembly

Well something very interesting they found

LightningTuner said:
LOL, ok, let me explain....

My machine shop has that new CNC block machine. It's got an optional setup where is has a robot arm inside with a very sensative probe. When you setup a block in the machine, you can have the probe "map" out the dimentions of the block, such as deck height, deck surface, squareness, etc. Once the block is machined, you can reprobe it to make sure it's right and compare to the original specs to see how far it was out.

My engine builder told me that he put a brand new 4.6 block in the machine, and probed it as is. He found the decks to not only be warped, but that the decks were "twisted" torsionally in relation to the block centerline as well. He found this very odd, and thought it might have been a probing error. He put Robs block in, and did the same procedure. He found the same result. Still perplexed, he did a quick light mill on the deck surface and found that the probes were right on. The mill missed a huge section on the front of one deck, and on the rear of the other deck. I think he said it took a 7 thou mill to to deck the block true.

This kind of machine work and attention to detail is why I use who I use for my engine builds. Our PSP engines cost more than anyone else's, but the end result is unmatched.
YA WHAT HE SAID :LOL

Just a little FYI for you
Kind of makes you wonder if it plays a part in lifting heads don't it ???

BTW
My motor is flawless once again
DONE
and will be at laying under the hood by next week
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THANKS SAL.................

NOW EVERYONE LEAVE SAL ALONE, hehehehehehe..........
(laying under the hood, and driving it are two totally diff things, but we're getting there)

Sal, is it done yet :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
It is truly amazing how far out of square they can be and still work as well as they do.
Even with a crap load of N2O squirted in. :shock:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Having the right tolerances and a quality built motor is what makes modern motors more efficient than old motors and why the older Supra's and Nissan Skylines handle so much power stock. I believe Sal has found a great combimation in his motor packages and they should easily handle the power he rates them at.

A 200 shot of nitrous will be a walk in the park on your motor now.

G

·
The new blocks are literally junk. I've got a new block that's well, embarassing from the factory. This is suppose to be Fords masterpiece in engine building. [smilie=eek4.gif]

·
Registered
734 Posts
Rob, as I posted on the F-150 board in regards to the 4.6L block…

We do not hold tolerance to thousands we hold to microns 75 microns in one human hair.

I talked with our process engineers today that said there is a 50-micron twist tolerance over the length of the block. They also said to tell everyone that we do a one hundred point deck inspection on our deck surfaces. For flatness and we also perform a leak test on every block.

I'm not saying that mistakes are never made we all know better than that. I'm just saying that when it was said that the factory machined block was .007" out from end to end was hard for me to believe. We do however, sell substandard blocks to re-man companies who are supposed to make the needed repairs and then resale.

I can't speak for the 5.4L block because we at Romeo do not machine that block I manage the 4.6L cast iron block dpt. on afternoon shift.

Suavy

G

·
I'm glad to know you do a good job. Maybe we can sign a petition for you to move to the Windsor plant. They need help like something terrible! [smilie=popcorn.gif]

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Suavy

I would never doubt your Plants workmanship, but WOW have you seen how many people in the post here and on F-150 have found new blocks to be out of wack,
"YIKES"..............

We got to get you guys to build them all :D :smt023 :smt023

Suavy, you said

We do however, sell substandard blocks to re-man companies who are supposed to make the needed repairs and then resale.

I got a hundred bucks says SOME OF THOSE prob HAVE NOT been fixed properly and then re-sold to some-one @#^$%(*#@$%(#$%^$#

BTW,
Do you take CC's hehehehehehehe

Bro I believe you, I'm just blown away by how many found new blocks out of wack, some even mentioned the newer tuffer blocks being just as bad ? I guess a few here and there sneak out, and those are the ones we always hear about ?

Rock On Bro, I know your Plant is Kick Ass :cheers:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Rob, no worries! I will always defend my team (4.6L) Like I said I can't speak for Windsor!

Sal posted that the 4.6L that he mentioned was not a factory new block.

Hope to see you all soon. My engine will be back from the machine shop in 1 week. Then I'm throwing that monster in and I'm head out your way! I have to see a few of my buds out there.

Suavy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts