Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my ported, 6# eaton, I'm at 435/522 at the tire.

I'm considering upgrading and wanted thoughts and power numbers on the following blowers: M122, TVS, whipple.
With the M122 and TVS, I can use a targat (sp) spelling, but the whipple, I'll likely have to upgrade the turkeypan and midplate, which will add another $500.00 to the cost.

so whats the pro's/cons of the m122 and tvs? Has anyone really ran a number with these blowers? What can I expect over what I'm making now?

I'll have the following:
built block, stage 2 ported heads, stage 3 crower cam, full exhaust, '99 turkey pan and a conversion midplate.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
What fuel will you be running? What is your current compression ratio? How much boost are you looking to run? Too many variables for a good comparison with out more details. Whipple numbers are numerous and well documented as far as dyno HP and track times are concerned.

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
2.3L TVS with 170mm throttle body on a JPS midplate will out perform the other 2 options.

The 2.3 whipple has put guys in the 9s...but unless you have the inlet elbow modded to accept a big throttle body, it just takes a ton of pulley (heat) to make the boost #s.

I picked up 3 psi on my m122 when I switched from the tiny L throttle body to a 170mm throttle body (same lower pulley)

Just goes to show you blowers need available volume. Spinning less and making more boost is always a good thing for charge temps.

I condensed the info in the quote below, but the long version can be seen here:
http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299226

Johnny aka JPS midplate, id1300 injectors (e85)

Ported the FRPP 2.3L TVS.

Made 688/761 on 20 psi and 18* timing, e85.

This is with a 6lb lower, 3.0" upper, Lightning size'd LFP Throttle Body
Post #29 in the thread above shows the size difference between the two. The L throttle body almost fits inside the 170.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Nevery ever ever run a tgarlock/tps swap plate with a tvs.

M122 it's safe but not even close with a tvs, too many failures

That being said.

On a built motor an m122 can take you to near 600hp. Tvs 700hp.

What are your goals?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nevery ever ever run a tgarlock/tps swap plate with a tvs.

M122 it's safe but not even close with a tvs, too many failures

That being said.

On a built motor an m122 can take you to near 600hp. Tvs 700hp.

What are your goals?
I know there are two plates, What is the difference. I know the JPS plate is substantially thicker. Does the Tgarlock plate flex?

Sounds like I'm in the market for a TVS.

Now I read somewhere where there are gen 1 tvs and gen 2 tvs. Does that apply to the stock tvs, or does that apply to the VMP? I couldn't find a clear answer

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
Yes the adapter plate flexes and has caused some TVS owners to destroy their blower due to rotor contact.

Doesnt effect m122 owners due to higher rotor to case tolerances

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
I know there are two plates, What is the difference. I know the JPS plate is substantially thicker. Does the Tgarlock plate flex?

Sounds like I'm in the market for a TVS.

Now I read somewhere where there are gen 1 tvs and gen 2 tvs. Does that apply to the stock tvs, or does that apply to the VMP? I couldn't find a clear answer

My plates are a true replacement midplate. Not an adapter bolted to the top of the stock midplate.

As stated tps plates flex causing issues. Some have been lucky but many were not.

All tvs run same rotors. Difference between gen 1 or 2 is 2 the elbow is actually part of the case, where as 1 the elbow is bolted on.

You actually a get an inch more clearance with my plate over tps

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can we run the Throttle body off a TVS blower on the lightning?

·
Falafel
1,160 Posts
can we run the Throttle body off a TVS blower on the lightning?
They sell specific throttle bodies for the M122/TVS elbow. They are pricey at $550 for one but its above and beyond the largest/best option for the truck. I'm going to have dyno results on the upgraded elbow and throttle body for my TVS very very soon (hopefully tomorrow). I'll be posting up the before and after scenarios for comparison.

Previously I had an elbow off my first m122 kit (i've owned 3 at this point) that was custom made to accept the Lightning throttle body but that turned out to be the culprit of my tuning issues.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They sell specific throttle bodies for the M122/TVS elbow. They are pricey at $550 for one but its above and beyond the largest/best option for the truck. I'm going to have dyno results on the upgraded elbow and throttle body for my TVS very very soon (hopefully tomorrow). I'll be posting up the before and after scenarios for comparison.

Previously I had an elbow off my first m122 kit (i've owned 3 at this point) that was custom made to accept the Lightning throttle body but that turned out to be the culprit of my tuning issues.

Awesome..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts