Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my hanger and shackles plus all the other stuff too. But while I'm lowering it I'm just got to replace the upper and lower control arms at the same time. I'm not wasting time with trying to just replace the ball joints.

I got a friend that works at auto zone and I had him try to order the upper and lowers for me. But he say there is two types of lowers. Does the regular F150 lower arms work for us.

Cliff notes. Do reg. F150 control arms work for us?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He works at auto zone and here are the part numbers he gave me.

CONTROL ARM-UPPER
dorman 520-217 DS

dorman 520-218 PS

these are the ones that I don't know.

CONTROL ARM-LOWER
Dorman 520-220 DS

Dorman 520-219 PS

Also I'm doing the wheel bearing. Anything else I need you guys think?

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
I would look on rockauto.com. They seem to have the best prices and I know that they have the Lightning specific control arms with the balljoints already installed. i really don't know what the difference is between the two part numbers. Maybe something to do with the steering stops that came on the lightning control arms to keep the wider rims from making contact?

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
If you are lowering the truck, you may have to get new sway bar links to get the max benefit out of the bar.

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
Yes, they help with cornering.
I am not so sure that they help with launching as they remove weight from the front end of the vehicle.

·
Boost-A-Holic
5,471 Posts
Doesnt the alpha DS and PS give you all the info you need?

CONTROL ARM-UPPER
dorman 520-217 Driver Side

dorman 520-218 Passenger Side

CONTROL ARM-LOWER
Dorman 520-220 Driver Side

Dorman 520-219 Passenger Side

I'd say, buy one of each. There's a upper and a lower for each side, and a driver or passenger side designation.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesnt the alpha DS and PS give you all the info you need?

CONTROL ARM-UPPER
dorman 520-217 Driver Side

dorman 520-218 Passenger Side

CONTROL ARM-LOWER
Dorman 520-220 Driver Side

Dorman 520-219 Passenger Side

I'd say, buy one of each. There's a upper and a lower for each side, and a driver or passenger side designation.

I typed in the PS and DS.

·
Forged Internals, like Roses to Men
1,099 Posts
Lightning Lower Control Arms have the steering stops, Reg F-150's do not...Go to RockAuto.com. They will get you allsquared away. And it sounds like the Raybestos/Spicer units are the ones to order...

·
Undisputed Re-Post Master
14,354 Posts
Yes, they help with cornering.
I am not so sure that they help with launching as they remove weight from the front end of the vehicle.
Took my front sway bar off over a year ago. Never going to put it back on as I do not do high speed cornering.

It does help with launch, you removed almost 50# from the front, as well as it allows the front to lift up more and transfer weight.

I have western chassis lowers, I'll see If I have any pics laying around.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lightning Lower Control Arms have the steering stops, Reg F-150's do not...Go to RockAuto.com. They will get you allsquared away. And it sounds like the Raybestos/Spicer units are the ones to order...

I'm looking there. God damn that site sucks.

Took my front sway bar off over a year ago. Never going to put it back on as I do not do high speed cornering.

It does help with launch, you removed almost 50# from the front, as well as it allows the front to lift up more and transfer weight.

I have western chassis lowers, I'll see If I have any pics laying around.

Its cool man you don't have too.

Also should I just get OEM rear shock to, or is there something a little better.

·
Bracket maker
3,982 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with the truck. If you plan to race it, I would get a set of adjustable drag shocks such as the strange. If you just plan to drive it, the the stockers with shock extenders will work.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
control arms

DORMAN Part # 520218 {#5l3z3084b, F65Z3084AB, XL3Z3084AA}
Includes Ball Joint and Bushings; Front Right Upper; RWD

DORMAN Part # 520217 {#5L3Z3085B, F65Z3085AB, XL3Z3085AA}
Includes Ball Joint and Bushings; Front Left Upper; RWD

MEVOTECH Part # MS20396 Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly
RWD; FRONT LEFT LOWER

MEVOTECH Part # MS20397 Suspension Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly
RWD; FRONT RIGHT LOWER

rear shocks
BILSTEIN Part # BE52490

Someone that has the time, can you double check this to make sure I order this right. Don't want to get the wrong parts.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depends on what you want to do with the truck. If you plan to race it, I would get a set of adjustable drag shocks such as the strange. If you just plan to drive it, the the stockers with shock extenders will work.

I drive it like a lightning. It will never see the track. And I got the ext. shock things for the back.

So just two of these. BILSTEIN Part # BE52490

·
Faster than SonicB03...
2,067 Posts
Just a heads up for the shock extenders the ones listed for regular cabs are actually not for ours. I can't tell from the pics but if both extenders are exactly the same they are the wrong ones. I did the same exact drop setup that you have there and got the wrong extenders. I ended up returning them and just got the strange adjustable shocks from summit and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a heads up for the shock extenders the ones listed for regular cabs are actually not for ours. I can't tell from the pics but if both extenders are exactly the same they are the wrong ones. I did the same exact drop setup that you have there and got the wrong extenders. I ended up returning them and just got the strange adjustable shocks from summit and couldn't be happier.

Ya I just looked at mine and they are both the same. So what ones do I need?

·
Faster than SonicB03...
2,067 Posts
Ya I just looked at mine and they are both the same. So what ones do I need?
The ones you have are part number 6656 correct? You need part number 6657 from Belltech. I didn't want to bother with the clearance issues so I just got the strange adjustable instead.

·
Faster than SonicB03...
2,067 Posts
Look on the third page of the instructions you have there. There is a box that states which way your shocks are facing and then says which kit to use it says for quad cab you have one shock forward and one facing the rear use kit 6657. The ones you have are 6656

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
6 Participants
RET.Grunt
Lightning Rodder
Join our Lightning Rodder community to discuss the supercharged Ford F150 SVT and Harley Davidson edition pickup.
Full Forum Listing