Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 99' Lightning and I'm super stoked to start tricking it out. I want to drop my L so it has a more aggressive stance but more importantly I want to make sure that I do it right with the right parts.

Can you guys give me some advice on what you feel are good kits and which ones to steer clear from?

What types of shocks do you guys recommend?

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
This is going to be a long thread lol. Lots of options. Just depends on how low u want to go. U can just do springs up front and drop shackles in the rear if u just want a slight drop. Spindles in the front and hangers in the rear along with shackles will get u a more aggressive stance. U have to figure out how low u want to go

·
Registered
56 Posts
lowering l

keep in mind if you go with drop spindles up front you will increase the trucks turning radius substantially.may seem like a small thing but having to do three point turns all the time on small streets and planning way ahead and being very careful in tight underground parking garages like we have here in so cal makes me sometimes wish I just had springs instead of spindles on my 03.also your factory spare tire won't fit over drop spindles. my first l ,an 01 I bought new was stock height and much easier to maneuver in such places.good luck and welcome to the community.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I did shackle and hanger combo and I love it. The kit advertises 4.5 inch drop and it sure does look like it dropped that much. It took nearly 10 hours to do the hangers, but it was well worth it imo. In the front, I have lowering springs. I'm still not done, but I love how it looks so far. I still need to buy shock extenders and shorter end links for all 4 corners

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
Springs (or cut a half a coil off stock springs), hangers and shackles are your best bet. Make sure to get the eccentric washers for proper alignment. Shock wise alot of guys are using some expensive shocks(Qa1,Strange etc.) but Ive been using DJM shocks with good results, that and the Belltech nitro shocks definitely last. No extenders. Lowered trucks rule:rockon_ford:rockerdudeGood Luck!

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
I'm running Belltech 2" drop spindles up front with GroundForce 1" drop springs with new ISOs, Bilstein shocks. Rear is just Hotchkis TVS leafs (early version) with Strange Adjustable shocks and stock shackles for a 3.5" drop... maybe 4"?

Been driving with the spindles for a few years, and since I don't park anyplace that might be tight, I'm fine with the turning radius. Like anything, you get used to it and it becomes the norm.

Attachments

·
Her name Bubbles
103 Posts
I used the Belltech kit (921SP) for a 2/4 drop. It rides great just like stock. Only downside is the shortened turning radius, but like stated above, you get used to it and it isn't a big deal at all. Be aware that there is some grinding necessary on the ball joint stud (and possibly the spindle) if you are going to run the Belltech drop spindles and stock wheels. No big deal, I just ground them down till they fit and haven't had a problem since.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts