Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I have a 2000 lightning with only 2” drop shackles in the rear. Does anyone know the lowest you can go without a c notch and if so where to buy it. Thanks in advance.

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
Hi everyone I have a 2000 lightning with only 2” drop shackles in the rear. Does anyone know the lowest you can go without a c notch and if so where to buy it. Thanks in advance.

There are only a few "kits" and only 1 I'd recommend.

First things first, budget?
Second: what's the purpose of the drop?
Third: what's your mechanical skill level?

Generally once you hit 4" in the rear a c notch is needed. And those 2" shackles are really only 1.25-1.5"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Generally once you hit 4" in the rear a c notch is needed. And those 2" shackles are really only 1.25-1.5"
[/QUOTE

im lowering it for mainly looks. I’m trying to spend maybe around 500 if possible. And my mechanical skills are pretty decent if I would say so.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Go with the JLP shackle and pull a leaf if you are wanting cheap. I once did that, no issues in ride quality.

My HD just has the JLP shackle and front spring isolators removed, looks great and no ride issues.

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
Go with the JLP shackle and pull a leaf if you are wanting cheap. I once did that, no issues in ride quality.

My HD just has the JLP shackle and front spring isolators removed, looks great and no ride issues.

An 00 is not going to gain more than a 1/4" pulling a leaf.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
My 01 with a pulled leaf made a noticeable difference, more than 1/4". Can't recall if leaf pack differed from 00 to 01.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Which did you pull? I believe mine was one of the shorter, 2nd from bottom. Was a long time ago.

·
Registered
558 Posts
More drop is next on my list after getting 20s on. Need about 2" front and rear. Already have jlp shackles in back.
Can't find yet but thinking stiffler CA's if I can find, and hotchkiss leafs in back.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
558 Posts
That's my setup but with belltech shackles. You'll be really close to a c notch.
Haven't research completely but when its that close is there anything like a snubber to prevent heavy contact?

·
Registered
453 Posts
just a thought..
if it's the gap around the tires that makes you want it lower,consider ,you can still get the 0-e fender flares aftermarket and paint them to match
that would eliminate about 3/4 inch of that gap ..all the way 'round and help the truck's proportions considerably

removing a leaf will likely end in a spring rate similar to my standard f150 ..
you might wanna avoid that

·
Registered
28 Posts
Man I gone as low I can with hotchis and a 1” shackle , in rear but im
Going to C Notch when I can I need that gap closed I have 20” on there about one more inch lower should finish my stance that 1” is like $2500 of work 😰

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
Man I gone as low I can with hotchis and a 1” shackle , in rear but im
Going to C Notch when I can I need that gap closed I have 20” on there about one more inch lower should finish my stance that 1” is like $2500 of work 😰
Suspension is never cheap when right.

Shocks.
Shock extenders
Hotchkis tvs
Stifflers upper and lowers
Panhard bar

I'm probably $3500 in and haven't c-notched my truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yup that’s about right my friend.There’s cheaper ways and quality but good workmanship is not cheap unless you do yourself if you can be good at it .

·
10 second street truck
12,718 Posts
Yup that’s about right my friend.There’s cheaper ways and quality but good workmanship is not cheap unless you do yourself if you can be good at it .
That's just parts. No labor.

Shocks - 700
Hotchkis tvs - 1400
Stifflers uppers - 575
Lowers - 750
Long bars - 550
Shackles - 75
Shock extenders - 60

·
Former Rowing Team.
04 Lightning
12,009 Posts
If your shocks are old, you can just buy the correct shocks for the drop once done instead of buying shock extenders. My 04 is 5" lower in the back and it's ridiculous how much longer stock shocks are than the extenders so i took that crap off and went with vikings. It's a more expensive route and shock extenders can work just fine. The pictures below are two leafs removed and JLP shackles on lowest settings. I can not comment on ride quality since i barely drive it and i dont know how stock trucks ride.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Asphalt

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 37 Posts