Lightning Rodder banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
stock springs were fine .. but years ago before the drop I had a very heavy load of plaster and ceramic tile rubble from my house reno
without thinking I filled the gas tank before I got to the dump to unload it all

the truck sat a little low on that side afterwards but seemed to level back out after some time
it was of course low on the driver's side because of the extra fuel load

now , years later my truck lost the rear half of the second long leaf in the spring stack.. lost it on the road someplace
and that lowers the driver's side about an inch comparing the tires to the wheel well edges

·
Registered
23 Posts
check your driveshaft isn't hitting something
also if you have exhaust pipes over the axle they may need to be raised after lowering the truck

also , what shocks did you use?
if to long the shock reaching it's end of travel could be your thumping sound (?)
Checking that too... but we are also doing a new exhaust as the muffler was rattling...
endless list of things to do ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
stock springs were fine .. but years ago before the drop I had a very heavy load of plaster and ceramic tile rubble from my house reno
without thinking I filled the gas tank before I got to the dump to unload it all

the truck sat a little low on that side afterwards but seemed to level back out after some time
it was of course low on the driver's side because of the extra fuel load

now , years later my truck lost the rear half of the second long leaf in the spring stack.. lost it on the road someplace
and that lowers the driver's side about an inch comparing the tires to the wheel well edges

One leaf less.... does it not make a waggling truck? I like higher speeds and curves... 60-90 mph

·
Registered
164 Posts
the second longest leaf is the one that's broken on the driver's side ..same side as the gas tank

the truck sits maybe an inch and a half lower on that side ...it sits crookedly in the driveway and rides on something of an angle but the crown of the road helps things feel more level

with the broken spring and shocks that wore out a couple of years ago there's another issue .. lowered trucks shouldn't be used with bad shocks ..as, my frame is getting bashed to hell from the axle hitting it... it's no longer flat on either side

the driver's side is crushed about as deeply as a frame notch kit would take away from the frame.. and now , with the bad shocks even the side with the good spring is starting to get crushed

the truck still drives fine.. bit rough with "no" shocks but it goes straight and even seems to like highway ramps that curve to the right .. away from the broken spring side..

the only reason I still drive it now is it being kinda hard to find rust free trucks in Toronto Canada..as I refuse to pay more than 10K for a twenty year old truck .. I don't care "what" it is ..

so the take away lesson here is buy a second set of shocks for your lowered truck .. keep them on stash "cause you don't want to drive a decent truck far ..

mine..it's SOOO rotted it's not worth the $800 bucks my hotchkis/bilstien shocks cost .. so they stay in their boxes until I get another truck

I can add also .. the difference between the stock anti sway bar and the hotchkis one CAN BE FELT..it isn't a lot .. but it does make a difference
-specs say it's 19% stiffer .. and hollow so it transfers forces to the opposite side quicker..as the force that would go into twisting the solid bar gets transferred to the opposite side control arm instead.. so that's why hollow bars.."better"
at a few intersections I know .. four lanes crossing four lanes, with the addition of left turn lanes, if I use only half of a left turn lane ..I can turn left at 60K without any issues or without pushing things anywhere near "to far"

these trucks , lowered drive much like slot cars of old.......

I used to like small turbocharged four cylinder cars..then I drove a 95 mercury grand marquis for ten years.. my truck for another two before lowering it and lowering it actually restored my love of driving...

I had actually kinda hated the truck before it was lowered too.. always felt to high and "tippy"

41 - 45 of 45 Posts