Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

Registered
I am assertive because the topic of suspension comes up quite often and is covered in great depth. But many people would rather be spoon fed information rather than search and read.

My children's mom is first generation american. Her entire family is from Holland. So I hear a lot about it and have met quite a few people from there. Welcome.
I am first generation Dutch,.. mommy was from France and Dad is Spanish 馃檭

Language can be a problem. We learn English. Like spoken in United Kingdom. When slang comes in, and street language takes over,... sometimes we, non-natives, get lost in translation.

I am no technician and started asking question in a place where it looked on its place. There are no stupid question. Just stupid answers ;-)

What are shock extensions for when used in a lowering set-up?

10 second street truck
They move the lower mounting point of the shock down. It's to increase the shocks available travel and avoid bottoming out.

Correct shock length is preferred but I like my shocks.

Registered
I've been daily driving a f150 with a 2/4 drop for nine years.. there's two things I'd do differently next time..

I have a ground force drop kit with springs up front , shackles N hangers out back

the drop control arm idea would be .. better than the drop springs .. it would be nice to still have the suspension travel
with the 4 inch drop in back I wish I'd done a C notch .. just to be able to move the bump stops up higher .. an inch more space would have been nice
as is I have about an inch of clearance between the axle and bump stop

the ground force short shocks lasted a couple of years .. maybe three

saving grace is the 275 70 17's .. with enough sidewall to keep the truck drivable and somewhat usable

low profile tires .. it sure wouldn't be a daily driver ...

'nother thing to advise .. don't drop a truck with a weak leaf spring .. in time it will get EXTRA low ...!!

10 second street truck
I've been daily driving a f150 with a 2/4 drop for nine years.. there's two things I'd do differently next time..

I have a ground force drop kit with springs up front , shackles N hangers out back

the drop control arm idea would be .. better than the drop springs .. it would be nice to still have the suspension travel
with the 4 inch drop in back I wish I'd done a C notch .. just to be able to move the bump stops up higher .. an inch more space would have been nice
as is I have about an inch of clearance between the axle and bump stop

the ground force short shocks lasted a couple of years .. maybe three

saving grace is the 275 70 17's .. with enough sidewall to keep the truck drivable and somewhat usable

low profile tires .. it sure wouldn't be a daily driver ...

'nother thing to advise .. don't drop a truck with a weak leaf spring .. in time it will get EXTRA low ...!!
Definitely different bstrokes for different folks. I could dd mine and it's a 3/4 drop with 20s and 35 sidewall tires.

Registered
you might think you could daily it .. but my crunched & cracked frame rail at the right rear bump stop says .. shoulda done the c notch

granted that spring was a weak one .. as it turned out

drop went in at 280 000 km's .. truck now has 373 000 9 years later

truck does drive way better than stock but it is just a little harsh

10 second street truck
you might think you could daily it .. but my crunched & cracked frame rail at the right rear bump stop says .. shoulda done the c notch

granted that spring was a weak one .. as it turned out

drop went in at 280 000 km's .. truck now has 373 000 9 years later

truck does drive way better than stock but it is just a little harsh
I have enough clearance to not need a c notch. I have aggressive springs and I don't carry weight.

Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004

Belltech spindles in front with stock springs, stock Bilsteins and ISOs
Belltech hangers with JLP shackles and Strange S6000em adjustable shocks in rear with 8掳 shim in OE '04 leaf pack.

Clearance Clarence.... Enough to never have bottomed out.

Registered
Great Picture!

Are the wheels FLAT BRONZE or is it black?
Redoing mine after my lowering kit is installed.
Bell Tech parcel just arrived from the USA... Heavy sh!t... in 2 weeks we will remove the lift kit en make it lower than standard.
923SP BELLTECH

Definitely different bstrokes for different folks. I could dd mine and it's a 3/4 drop with 20s and 35 sidewall tires.

View attachment 543156

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Great Picture!

Are the wheels FLAT BRONZE or is it black?
Redoing mine after my lowering kit is installed.
Bell Tech parcel just arrived from the USA... Heavy sh!t... in 2 weeks we will remove the lift kit en make it lower than standard.
923SP BELLTECH
keep me posted please on what you think . im looking at the same kit. mine is used for fun. roads only. i dont carry any weight

10 second street truck
keep me posted please on what you think . im looking at the same kit. mine is used for fun. roads only. i dont carry any weight
The belltech kit doesn't change handling because all the stock springs are retained. It's purely cosmetic.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The belltech kit doesn't change handling because all the stock springs are retained. It's purely cosmetic.
The kit I looked at comes with new front springs and all new shocks . It must affect ride surely

Reactions: F150BadBoy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The kit referenced. The sp921

Belltech offers front coils. I've ran them. I don't run them.
Isn't the 921 with spindles. I wanna keep stock spindles

10 second street truck
Isn't the 921 with spindles. I wanna keep stock spindles
Here's my adivce. If you want a mild drop with stock spindles and a hood ride do this:

Stifflers lower arms with no isolators. 1.5" drop
Belltech rear shackles. About 1.5-2" drop.

If that's not enough is look into removing a leaf in the rear.
If that's not enough, belltech hangers. But beware, they're a pain to install.

The hotchkis suspension is amazing. But it is stiffer than stock. I don't like the belltech coils at all. I didn't like the ride, drop amount, not handling.

Registered
Here's my adivce. If you want a mild drop with stock spindles and a hood ride do this:

Stifflers lower arms with no isolators. 1.5" drop
Belltech rear shackles. About 1.5-2" drop.

If that's not enough is look into removing a leaf in the rear.
If that's not enough, belltech hangers. But beware, they're a pain to install.

The hotchkis suspension is amazing. But it is stiffer than stock. I don't like the belltech coils at all. I didn't like the ride, drop amount, not handling.

So I went with the Bellltech kit... 923SP and yes we are getting into so issues. We did both rear shackes and hangers... just to find out it was too low and hitting all you could hit (even the axle (front to rear). I am not a native speaker so correct me if you feel like it.
The rear shackles have like 2(or is it 3?) mounting positions,..we went from lowest (or highest, depending on point of vue) tot the next. Solving 75% of the 'auch' thumping.
We also mounted 275/60-20 Hankooks (borrowed from a RAM that did an upgrade) on the rear,.. what also helped. Als making the look like we hoped it would be.

I need to figure out if I need to do a C-notch or it is better to go higher again :-( to get rid of thumping sounds.

Any comments?

Registered
check your driveshaft isn't hitting something
also if you have exhaust pipes over the axle they may need to be raised after lowering the truck

also , what shocks did you use?
if to long the shock reaching it's end of travel could be your thumping sound (?)

Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
Make sure the leaf spring pack shim is in correctly. The fat end of the shim should be pointing towards the cab of the truck.

Registered
I got the 923SP kit.. hangers shackles front springs, street dampers all I needed.
Maybe my rear leafs where a bit lame / sagged as after 10 hours of labour, it was just a bit too low. Seems that there are 2 or 3 position to attach the rear attachment of the leafs.. I am now in the middle position and running275/60 (!!) on 20" for testing.. (that is in the rear)

Registered
the 923SP kit comes with front springs (not too hard but better than stock) and 4 shocks and hangers and shackles.. pain in the ass to install when car is old...
If I would have know that Sport shocks from Belltech are just 'regular' to europeans like me... I would have tried to get me some Bilsteins. But I searched and found nothing.
Being cheap (the shocks in the sporty kit) I will not mind to install better ones in a year.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts