Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Registered
I am assertive because the topic of suspension comes up quite often and is covered in great depth. But many people would rather be spoon fed information rather than search and read.

My children's mom is first generation american. Her entire family is from Holland. So I hear a lot about it and have met quite a few people from there. Welcome.
I am first generation Dutch,.. mommy was from France and Dad is Spanish 馃檭

Language can be a problem. We learn English. Like spoken in United Kingdom. When slang comes in, and street language takes over,... sometimes we, non-natives, get lost in translation.

I am no technician and started asking question in a place where it looked on its place. There are no stupid question. Just stupid answers ;-)

What are shock extensions for when used in a lowering set-up?

10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
They move the lower mounting point of the shock down. It's to increase the shocks available travel and avoid bottoming out.

Correct shock length is preferred but I like my shocks.

Reactions: F150BadBoy

Registered
I've been daily driving a f150 with a 2/4 drop for nine years.. there's two things I'd do differently next time..

I have a ground force drop kit with springs up front , shackles N hangers out back

the drop control arm idea would be .. better than the drop springs .. it would be nice to still have the suspension travel
with the 4 inch drop in back I wish I'd done a C notch .. just to be able to move the bump stops up higher .. an inch more space would have been nice
as is I have about an inch of clearance between the axle and bump stop

the ground force short shocks lasted a couple of years .. maybe three

saving grace is the 275 70 17's .. with enough sidewall to keep the truck drivable and somewhat usable

low profile tires .. it sure wouldn't be a daily driver ...

'nother thing to advise .. don't drop a truck with a weak leaf spring .. in time it will get EXTRA low ...!!

10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
I've been daily driving a f150 with a 2/4 drop for nine years.. there's two things I'd do differently next time..

I have a ground force drop kit with springs up front , shackles N hangers out back

the drop control arm idea would be .. better than the drop springs .. it would be nice to still have the suspension travel
with the 4 inch drop in back I wish I'd done a C notch .. just to be able to move the bump stops up higher .. an inch more space would have been nice
as is I have about an inch of clearance between the axle and bump stop

the ground force short shocks lasted a couple of years .. maybe three

saving grace is the 275 70 17's .. with enough sidewall to keep the truck drivable and somewhat usable

low profile tires .. it sure wouldn't be a daily driver ...

'nother thing to advise .. don't drop a truck with a weak leaf spring .. in time it will get EXTRA low ...!!
Definitely different bstrokes for different folks. I could dd mine and it's a 3/4 drop with 20s and 35 sidewall tires.

Registered
you might think you could daily it .. but my crunched & cracked frame rail at the right rear bump stop says .. shoulda done the c notch

granted that spring was a weak one .. as it turned out

drop went in at 280 000 km's .. truck now has 373 000 9 years later

truck does drive way better than stock but it is just a little harsh

10 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
you might think you could daily it .. but my crunched & cracked frame rail at the right rear bump stop says .. shoulda done the c notch

granted that spring was a weak one .. as it turned out

drop went in at 280 000 km's .. truck now has 373 000 9 years later

truck does drive way better than stock but it is just a little harsh
I have enough clearance to not need a c notch. I have aggressive springs and I don't carry weight.

Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004

Belltech spindles in front with stock springs, stock Bilsteins and ISOs
Belltech hangers with JLP shackles and Strange S6000em adjustable shocks in rear with 8掳 shim in OE '04 leaf pack.

Clearance Clarence.... Enough to never have bottomed out.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts