Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for info on best kit..best place to buy and any other advice really.
Looking for 1-2 up front and 3-4 rear.
Truck doesn't tow..or carry loads. Road use only .
It had new Rancho shocks 20 months ago according to history. .

Any advice appreciated thanks

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Belltech has some good stuff, decent proce.

Reactions: Boss Hoss

·
Registered
2004 Sonic Blue Truck is # 3348 of 3781 built on 05/03/2004
3,183 Posts
Agree they belltech has great kits. I purchased most of mine from [email protected] motorsports

·
10 second street truck
11,823 Posts
Stifflers lower arms and no iso up front.
Belltech shackles and hangers in the back.

It'll keep stock springs for a stockish ride.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I just did a Belltech KIt on my 04 Lightning (2in front 3in rear). Comments---next time on the lift will grind the steering stops some to match originals. Belltech's are longer effects turn radius. Stock rear shocks were to long ride was like a pogo stick, I used Belltech's shorter replacement worked great.

·
10 second street truck
11,823 Posts
I just did a Belltech KIt on my 04 Lightning (2in front 3in rear). Comments---next time on the lift will grind the steering stops some to match originals. Belltech's are longer effects turn radius. Stock rear shocks were to long ride was like a pogo stick, I used Belltech's shorter replacement worked great.
Belltechs are longer because the spindles will cause clearance issues with 18s.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What kit did you order.... with spindles ?

·
10 second street truck
11,823 Posts
Hi,.. here you seem to propose Belltech for the back. To me you said it was cheap shit.
I propose a few belltech components in order to obtain a stock ride. You're confusing my suggestion with my endorsement. I would t use hangers and shackles personally because shackles are a fucking nightmare to install and a stock ride has no bearing on my selection.

The belltech front coils are overly stiff.
The belltech shocks are poor at best.

As far as cheap, from a cost perspective and "doing it right_ the belltech kit is cheap
My lower control arms cost more than the entire belltech kit.
My shocks cost as much as the belltech kit.

Do not attempt to call me out by picking am choosing certain quotes of mine to fit your narrative simply because you're upset I won't spoon feed you.

I can give you 100 combos to drop your truck.
Just need to know budget, desired ride quality, and desired drop amount.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So in the end.. what did you do?
Nothing as yet. im in the UK and our great PM put us on lockdown again ,so darent spend any funds
things are picking up so will be doing it in the near future ,going with beltech kit

·
Registered
23 Posts
I propose a few belltech components in order to obtain a stock ride. You're confusing my suggestion with my endorsement. I would t use hangers and shackles personally because shackles are a fucking nightmare to install and a stock ride has no bearing on my selection.

The belltech front coils are overly stiff.
The belltech shocks are poor at best.

As far as cheap, from a cost perspective and "doing it right_ the belltech kit is cheap
My lower control arms cost more than the entire belltech kit.
My shocks cost as much as the belltech kit.

Do not attempt to call me out by picking am choosing certain quotes of mine to fit your narrative simply because you're upset I won't spoon feed you.

I can give you 100 combos to drop your truck.
Just need to know budget, desired ride quality, and desired drop amount.
thanks for the opinion. Stiff suspension would be great,... these stock things I find too soft. Shocks poor is a bummer as i ordered the full 923SP set... incl shocks. If that is shitty (will know soon as I plan a 5000km (3100 miles or so) from Amsterdam to Madrid... and that is Highway all the Way.. and then touring in Spain in the mountains (low speed, hairpins) and NO off-roading (there is a Grand Cherokee waiting there for that).

Cheap is in the eye of the beholder - about 1300 dollars upon arrival. Shipping alone was 300 dollar. Taxes aprox 30% on top of all... we will see.
Normally I would have done Bilstein shocks... but I give these guys the benefit of the doubt.
Budget is not an issue, but is has to make sense with the value of the car. Kits that will cost me 2000 dollar without the possibility of comparing... So I start with too stiff coils, lousy shocks, and probably too soft in the back.
I just hope the shocks in the kit are better than what i have now.

I a am not upset. You are probably not aware you are an assertive person to a few of us. You started with a oneliner trashing BellTech without elaborating. Now I know your opinion. it is too stiff for you, and damping (shocks) is below your standards (that worries me moest.. don't want te car to keep boincing around).

How do you use your 10th gen F-150 ?
City? Long trips? many curves?

Greetings from Holland.. were we pay like 1200 dollars a year on road taxes for a car like the F-150,.. what makes we have great boring straight line roads and do not pay (no toll) for high ways.

·
10 second street truck
11,823 Posts
thanks for the opinion. Stiff suspension would be great,... these stock things I find too soft. Shocks poor is a bummer as i ordered the full 923SP set... incl shocks. If that is shitty (will know soon as I plan a 5000km (3100 miles or so) from Amsterdam to Madrid... and that is Highway all the Way.. and then touring in Spain in the mountains (low speed, hairpins) and NO off-roading (there is a Grand Cherokee waiting there for that).

Cheap is in the eye of the beholder - about 1300 dollars upon arrival. Shipping alone was 300 dollar. Taxes aprox 30% on top of all... we will see.
Normally I would have done Bilstein shocks... but I give these guys the benefit of the doubt.
Budget is not an issue, but is has to make sense with the value of the car. Kits that will cost me 2000 dollar without the possibility of comparing... So I start with too stiff coils, lousy shocks, and probably too soft in the back.
I just hope the shocks in the kit are better than what i have now.

I a am not upset. You are probably not aware you are an assertive person to a few of us. You started with a oneliner trashing BellTech without elaborating. Now I know your opinion. it is too stiff for you, and damping (shocks) is below your standards (that worries me moest.. don't want te car to keep boincing around).

How do you use your 10th gen F-150 ?
City? Long trips? many curves?

Greetings from Holland.. were we pay like 1200 dollars a year on road taxes for a car like the F-150,.. what makes we have great boring straight line roads and do not pay (no toll) for high ways.
I use my truck for fun.
I have a lot of work into my truck.
With what you paid for the belltech I can't imagine the cost of my whole setup.
I have the hotchkis tvs
Stifflers upper arms
Stifflers lower arms
Belltech shock extenders
Belltech shackles
Belltech shims
Hotchkis 2.1 shocks

So my truck sits pretty low. It handles very well and rides pretty good.

I am assertive because the topic of suspension comes up quite often and is covered in great depth. But many people would rather be spoon fed information rather than search and read.

My children's mom is first generation american. Her entire family is from Holland. So I hear a lot about it and have met quite a few people from there. Welcome.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I use my truck for fun.
I have a lot of work into my truck.
With what you paid for the belltech I can't imagine the cost of my whole setup.
I have the hotchkis tvs
Stifflers upper arms
Stifflers lower arms
Belltech shock extenders
Belltech shackles
Belltech shims
Hotchkis 2.1 shocks

So my truck sits pretty low. It handles very well and rides pretty good.

I am assertive because the topic of suspension comes up quite often and is covered in great depth. But many people would rather be spoon fed information rather than search and read.

My children's mom is first generation american. Her entire family is from Holland. So I hear a lot about it and have met quite a few people from there. Welcome.

Out of curiosity what made you run the shock extenders? I have the adjustable Strange Engineering shocks in the rear with Belltech hangers and JLP shackles for years now. Were you bottoming out on the 2.1 shocks?

·
10 second street truck
11,823 Posts
Out of curiosity what made you run the shock extenders? I have the adjustable Strange Engineering shocks in the rear with Belltech hangers and JLP shackles for years now. Were you bottoming out on the 2.1 shocks?
The 2.1's were designed for the hotchkis tvs. So they're for about 2.5" of drop. I'm a little over 4. I ran them to avoid bottoming out. I didn't want to install the shocks and find out I had issues.

I installed the tvs and ran it with some off brand shocks for a while and it was ass. I decided I wanted more low. So I ordered up belltech shackles and stifflers arms and the 2.1 shocks all at once.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
The 2.1's were designed for the hotchkis tvs. So they're for about 2.5" of drop. I'm a little over 4. I ran them to avoid bottoming out. I didn't want to install the shocks and find out I had issues.

I installed the tvs and ran it with some off brand shocks for a while and it was ass. I decided I wanted more low. So I ordered up belltech shackles and stifflers arms and the 2.1 shocks all at once.
Got'cha. I thought you were running Viking for some reason.

·
10 second street truck
11,823 Posts
Got'cha. I thought you were running Viking for some reason.
Nope. I like the viking option for a lot of people if they do the work to measure needed shock. The hotchkis shocks were designed for my suspension so it just made sense to me. And now you can't buy them

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Nope. I like the viking option for a lot of people if they do the work to measure needed shock. The hotchkis shocks were designed for my suspension so it just made sense to me. And now you can't buy them
OK. Good to know. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts