Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 just has 2'' rear shackels and the front spring isolators pulled and i liked the stance for awhile but want it a little lower. I love how these trucks look with a 4/ 6 drop so anyone who has dropped there harley what did you use and how do you like the ride? Truck is riding on stock 20's and will stay that way. if you have pics post them up as well please

Joe

·
Forged Internals, like Roses to Men
1,099 Posts
I am running a 2/4 drop with Belltech spindles up front, and JLP shackles on the rear. I also have shock extenders. The ride is damn near as good as stock, and the stance is pretty close to what I want. I would like it a little lower, but I didn't want to compromise the smooth ride.

·
I <3 my Honda
2,845 Posts
I did mine getto... Liked it so much I'm leaving it.
Bilstiens, cut lightning coils (1 coil), 03 lightning leafs (2 removed), Ground force 2" shackles, so cal shock extenders, lightning rear sway, cut rear bump stops, trimmed front... Rides near stock looks great. Cost... Price of bilstiens, extenders, + about $100 for extras.
Pics in profile.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good i really like the stance. Truck has lightning spec bilsteins on it now so have that covered.Have my eye out for a lightning rear sway bar. Whats the difference between the lightninf leafs and the harley leafs? How much did you cut the bump stops?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have a 4/7 drop on my 06. 2" drop coils with 2" drop lower control arms in the front. 2" drop shackles plus flip kit plus removed the middle leaf. I have taken out my bumb stops and installed Bilstiens on all 4 corners. I think that it rides pretty much stock.

·
**SOLD - but not forgotten.
215 Posts
I did the group buy awhile back for the full Hotchkis TVS kit and put on mine. (comes with coils, leafs, Bilsteins, sways)

Attachments

·
I <3 my Honda
2,845 Posts
Looks good i really like the stance. Truck has lightning spec bilsteins on it now so have that covered.Have my eye out for a lightning rear sway bar. Whats the difference between the lightninf leafs and the harley leafs? How much did you cut the bump stops?
No difference as far as I know. I was lucky to find some leafs for sale ready to go. That way I could save my stockers. I honestly don't remember how much I cut them... I just got under the truck and cut until I had a little clearance. I had planned to get some aftermarket ones... but I haven't needed too. The from were aftermarket ones that I hit with a grinding wheel until I had enough room.

·
Motor City T-Sport
1,645 Posts
Next queation is are the front springs on the hd and lightning the same?
The 00 HD’s with extended cabs got the same springs and rear leafs as 00 L’s. Putting L springs and leafs on a HD Screw would likely provide a bouncier ride from running a heavier weight body on springs/leafs intended to carry the weight of regular/extended cab vehicles. Also, the L components will reduce the payload capacity for a Screw HD.

·
Dam it feels good to be a Gangsta
511 Posts
Frozen... do you have a part number for the front springs? Also, were the hangers a biotch to put in? I love your drop and want the same but Im thinking of doing drop leafs in the back with my beltech shackles vs. the hangers. Hangers will be cheaper but I think they are much more work.

·
Wow really?!
2,216 Posts
I'll try to get a part number for you. I know they are front springs for a Harley edition f150 not a regular and not a lightning. As for the work I didn't do the drop owner before ne did and he said it wasn't that hard to do. He said he has done drops to all his cars he's had and trucks and that this f150 was the easiest I'll try to find out for ya :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frozen i love the first pic of your truck actually have it as my screen saver at work. Thats the stance I am wanting but maybe drop the front an 1'' instead of 2'' i want a level look no rake

Joe

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The 00 HD’s with extended cabs got the same springs and rear leafs as 00 L’s. Putting L springs and leafs on a HD Screw would likely provide a bouncier ride from running a heavier weight body on springs/leafs intended to carry the weight of regular/extended cab vehicles. Also, the L components will reduce the payload capacity for a Screw HD.
MMM i am looking around to see what the difference is between them. I would prefer to buy front springs and cut them and just swap them in and will just pull a leaf out of the rear. Where would i need to buy shock extenders from? So far the truck has jlp 2'' drop shackles or maybe they are 3'' cause there r 3 holes and the front spring isolator is pulled.

Joe

·
I <3 my Honda
2,845 Posts

I hate a bouncy ride (owned a few bagged trucks) The lightning springs with one coil cut...are not one bit bouncy. The truck feels pretty much stock...Just a hair of harshness that is associated with a lowered vehicle.

If my truck was super low mile...and in perfect condition. I would have went with some nice aftermarket stuff... i've ridden in numerous trucks with some high dollar suspension mods... I can honestly say that the difference is minor...I saved $$$$$. I have about 4k tied up in the suspension of my Mustang...I'd much rather drive the truck.

·
I <3 my Honda
2,845 Posts
MMM i am looking around to see what the difference is between them. I would prefer to buy front springs and cut them and just swap them in and will just pull a leaf out of the rear. Where would i need to buy shock extenders from? So far the truck has jlp 2'' drop shackles or maybe they are 3'' cause there r 3 holes and the front spring isolator is pulled.

Joe
I bought my shock extenders from SOCAL speed shop... They are local to me and had them ready to go. Price wise they are very comparable to others if not less...and I know the other options can be somewhat hard to get... I have a thread about them if you check my history. I also recommend getting the correct sway bar end links after all is said and done... Make sure you tighten everything up with weight on the suspension also... A lot of people don't then complain that their suspension is junk.

·
Motor City T-Sport
1,645 Posts

Joe
The difference is the unique specs for the spring rates that Ford applied to the coils and leafs for L's vs. Screw HD's. Ford also made additional changes to rear leafs for 03-04 L's and 03 HD's, because these models backside sits an inch higher than previous models. Just cut your stock coils and keep an eye on the classified section for another OEM pair for spares. Keep in mind if you pull a leaf, you'll affect your payload capacity a bit. If you don't haul or tow it's no big impact. If you have JLP 2-3-4 shackle, then the max drop you'll get on the lowest setting is three inches. Only regular F150's get four inches, cause their stock height is one inch higher than their respective year HD. You can get Belltech Shock extenders at Summit Racing.

·
Motor City T-Sport
1,645 Posts
I hate a bouncy ride (owned a few bagged trucks) The lightning springs with one coil cut...are not one bit bouncy. The truck feels pretty much stock...Just a hair of harshness that is associated with a lowered vehicle....
Nice to know that, cause I never considered doing that. I went with the Belltech Pro Sport Drop Coils and L spec Bilsteins, as I like a slightly stiffer than stock front suspension.:smt023

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not to worried about payload cause I rarely haul with my truck and if I tow its just around town. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question guys and point me in the right direction

Joe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts