Lightning Rodder banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,440 Posts
Post a picture of the hub and pulley, sounds like you have the wrong hub.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I seriously doubt this would be your issue, but do you think that a cageless lower might be allowing the snout of your crank to flex, and misalign your pulleys? Back in the day it wasn't uncommon for people running cageless lowers to snap their crank snouts off of their Terminators. I don't think it was as big of an issue on Lightnings, but it has happened. Generally I think this was only a big issue for people running really tight belt setups to try and combat belt slip.

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
I seriously doubt this would be your issue, but do you think that a cageless lower might be allowing the snout of your crank to flex, and misalign your pulleys? Back in the day it want uncommon for people running cageless lowers to snap their crank snouts of of their Terminators. I don't think it was as big of an issue on Lightnings, but it has happened. Generally I think this was only a big issue for people running really tight belt setups to try and combat belt slip.
With just a 4lb lower I doubt it.

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
11,440 Posts
The only thing that I can think of..
It has a newer lower sprocket and a old style trigger wheel. Pushing the balancer forward..
Maybe he has a hub for a KB 2.8 blower.
I'm running out of ideas...

Can someone measure the height of the hub and post it..
How close is the balancer to the front cover?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
If I could find a caged 4lb lower I’d run that but they are pretty hard to find it seems.
I’d measure mine but I dropped it off with a guy to put on his lathe to make sure it’s not bent or anything. Pretty much he is checking it all out to make sure I didn’t miss anything

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I seriously doubt this would be your issue, but do you think that a cageless lower might be allowing the snout of your crank to flex, and misalign your pulleys? Back in the day it wasn't uncommon for people running cageless lowers to snap their crank snouts off of their Terminators. I don't think it was as big of an issue on Lightnings, but it has happened. Generally I think this was only a big issue for people running really tight belt setups to try and combat belt slip.
If that was the case wouldn’t it push the belt off the front the way it would pull up and flex?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am so glad you made this post. I have been fighting the same issue for about two years and have taken it to Ford dealer twice. This is what I have done so far with out positive results. Replaced idler pulleys with lipped idler pulleys, replaced tensioner with new OEM tensioner, I even went from a two piece Metco crank pulley to a one piece JLP crank pulley and it still rips off the last two ribs. You can see with in just a few moments that the belt will ride on the back side of the lower pulley and shred the last two ribs off. Crazy question. Have you had your long block replaced? Only reason I say this is I noticed this shortly after I had it replaced by Ford. It is a spare truck so have not taking back to the dealer that put in the long block. The only thing I can guess at is something is making the harmonic balancer stick out too far? Certified drunk can you expand on "It has a newer lower sprocket and a old style trigger wheel. Pushing the balancer forward." what is the trigger wheel?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I am so glad you made this post. I have been fighting the same issue for about two years and have taken it to Ford dealer twice. This is what I have done so far with out positive results. Replaced idler pulleys with lipped idler pulleys, replaced tensioner with new OEM tensioner, I even went from a two piece Metco crank pulley to a one piece JLP crank pulley and it still rips off the last two ribs. You can see with in just a few moments that the belt will ride on the back side of the lower pulley and shred the last two ribs off. Crazy question. Have you had your long block replaced? Only reason I say this is I noticed this shortly after I had it replaced by Ford. It is a spare truck so have not taking back to the dealer that put in the long block. The only thing I can guess at is something is making the harmonic balancer stick out too far? Certified drunk can you expand on "It has a newer lower sprocket and a old style trigger wheel. Pushing the balancer forward." what is the trigger wheel?
I actually am still on the stock engine. Im having the hub machined down right now to see if that helps. Ill buy another hub if it gets messed up. I checked all the alignment issues with the old tensioners on and my crank pulley is out a hair over 3/16". Its getting shaved down to match that and he is seeing if it is true in round as well. Its my last resort lol

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
The trigger wheel is behind the timing cover. The older one was a thick cast unit. The new one is thin and stamped steel

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Update, I still haven't gotten my pulley back but is it possible the hub I got is for a 99-00? I am reading in some places that the 01-04 has a different style hub over the 99-00. Not sure if that could happen or if thats a thing but just a thought

·
11 second street truck
2001 Ford Lightning
11,303 Posts
Update, I still haven't gotten my pulley back but is it possible the hub I got is for a 99-00? I am reading in some places that the 01-04 has a different style hub over the 99-00. Not sure if that could happen or if thats a thing but just a thought
The metco doesn't have two options. It has to do with the opening on the balancer.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Have you tried calling Metco directly, and going over the issue with them?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts