Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's out of warranty and it finally popped the CEL. Got a P0316 and P0304. Partially plugged #4 injector?
It works great at WOT, no miss at all. It's just up to about 2,000 RPM it misses like crazy.
Thought I would try the fuel pump relay bypass to high pressure all the time and see what happens.
Put the big fuel filter in a few years back but never checked the pressure yet.
It's a 2003, owned it since new, just turned 40K. It's stock except for a 4 lb pulley.
Might be a good time to put in the NKG's I've had for 15+ years when I pull the injector.
Anyone else had anything like this?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P0316 points to a crank trigger issue which will cause the p0304 code. I'd look at the wiring on the crank sensor. Pull the sensor and inspect it.
Thanks for the P0316 info. I didn't really read much on the cause on that one.
I started to read one and it mentioned vacuum and miss fire but I should have gone further.
Didn't get to the crank sensor issue. I'll pull it a take a look.
It's still all stock for the plugs, nothing has ever had to be worked on. It's lived a pampered life.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply's. I found the problem and it's running great again. It turned out to be something that I hadn't heard of before, but that's what keeps things interesting. Checked the crank sensor first, it showed 1 volt & .5 volt ac. Moved up top and pulled the injectors, hooked them up with the DIY cleaner set up with B 12 and the pulse tester to fire them. They all shot out the same pattern.
Then on to the plugs. Yep, great first experience. But it was a nice warm day and pulled out a nice variety of tools to get them all out. Laid them out side by side and one just didn't look right. #4 was a lot darker than the other 3. Further examination it was a different number, a hotter heat range.
Like I said before I bought it new and never had anything done to it. Canadians at the Windsor plant must have wanted to make some warranty work for Ford I guess.
Anyway I got 4 of the NGK's in it and it's back to firing on all eight. I'll wait till spring and do the other side. It's getting a little cool her now. Attached a couple pictures.
Ever heard of anyone else having this problem?
I also checked the 42EGM plug. It said "
Ford uses a "waste spark ignition system" on the V6 cars, in which there is 1 coil for each pair of spark plugs. One half of the plugs see a different polarity from the other half. This causes electrode metal to get transferred depending on the direction of the current flow of the spark.
Ford takes advantage of this, and saves a tiny bit of platinum on each plug it installs at the factory, by putting plugs with a platinum tip on one side, and plugs with a platinum electrode on the other. Probably only saves a few cents per car but I guess it adds up enough to make it worth doing.
Replacement plugs (42EM) have platinum on both the electrode and the tip, so they can be used on either side. (the 42EGM is not sold over the counter, only used in the engine plant and a select few Lightnings?)
Either way my L didn't like it.

Auto part Gas Engineering Font Metal
Fastener Audio equipment Font Handwriting Automotive tire
Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Bumper

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts