Lightning Rodder banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,542 Posts
Had a bad time on the way to work the other day.
Got on the highway and soon after the truck started to miss and run poorly.
Afraid it would stall I pulled off to the shoulder and by the time I got there saw smoke.
Popped the hood and jumped out to see what was happening.

Flame shot up and all I could do is shut the hood, grab my keys, wallet and phone...then dial 911.

It wasn't the nicest or fastest truck on these forums, but it was mine...waited a long time to get it.

Luckily no one was hurt and it was insured, but sucks just the same.

Be safe out there.

Anthony
that sucks big time, make sure you let @junioRace know the VIN for the database

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,604 Posts
that sucks big time, make sure you let @junioRace know the VIN for the database
Yes please. If you don't know the build number or anything, I can call SVT and get it using the VIN.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Which fire extinguisher are yall using? Maybe I can find a slim one to fit behind the seat and out of view...

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,604 Posts
More than likely, you aren't going to be able to put out one of these fires using a small behind-the-seat fire extinguishers. Not to say that it might help. I have put out two car fires that were under hood. Took multiple fire extinguishers both times.

·
Registered
295 Posts
More than likely, you aren't going to be able to put out one of these fires using a small behind-the-seat fire extinguishers. Not to say that it might help. I have put out two car fires that were under hood. Took multiple fire extinguishers both times.

What caused the fires?

·
10 SECOND CLUB!
897 Posts
5 lb Halon

·
Registered
652 Posts
First I'm very sorry for your loss. I know that these trucks mean a lot to their owners. I agree that a small fire extinguisher would probably not do much and may actually cause you personal harm in the attempt. For things to go up that fast I would almost have to believe we are looking at a fuel fire. Either a hose blown out or a possible coupling failure or even an injector that split open. No matter it is a loss.

As far as talk about the cruse recall those mostly happened while the truck set for some time and the damage I have seen is more around the drivers front area under hood and inside the cab, a lot did not have much damage to the passenger side.

I for one never had any trust in the Ford cheap ass recall that was done. (Most recalls are a cheap appeasement to attempt a repair, more of a feel good thing) The first thing I did when I purchased my truck was to replace the switch on the master cylinder. The way it is mounted it would not be a bad idea to change it every few years, quite inexpensive insurance in my opinion. What happened with the switch is that it began to leak brake fluid into the electrical plug cavity, the fluid had enough resistance to make heat and catch fire. I personally also disconnect my switch for the most part unless I am intending to drive some highway miles that I may want to use the cruse. May seem quite ANAL but as much as I would hate to lose my truck I would hate to loose $60,000 or 70'000 dollars in tools, other cars and a building. And for some of you Your house and person.

Please remember most parts on these trucks are showing their age, one can't replace everything and one definitely can't replace a life. All I am saying is please use this tragedy as a lesson to stay safe!!!!! Please!!!!

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,604 Posts

·
#wannaberacetruck
208 Posts
Total bummer. Very sorry for your loss. Cars are replaceable, lives are not. Glad you made it out alright.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts