Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into putting an LED Light Bar behind my Billet Grill (definitely upper, but possibly lower too). Has anyone done this or has anyone put lights behind their grill?

If so, can you post pics and/or tips?

Thanks.

·
Yeah It's Stock
2,829 Posts
I had mounted some piaa lights behind the grill of my 2001 4x4 supercrew years ago. There's a "c"shaped cross brace behind the grill that's fairly flat on the top but is hollow in the middle, seen from the backside. I had drilled my mounting holes all the way through this brace and mounted my lights but what I found was that they bounced around quite a bit because of no real support of it being hollow.
I had some aluminum washers/spacers that were just the right thickness of that hollow space so I put them in between that brace and bolted them back up and that solved my problem.
This is real easy to do and that brace is the perfect location for lights however you'll need to fill that hollow gap up with something to strengthen the brace from vibrating.

·
Slevin
1,018 Posts
DONT

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am looking into putting an LED Light Bar behind my Billet Grill (definitely upper, but possibly lower too). Has anyone done this or has anyone put lights behind their grill?

If so, can you post pics and/or tips?

Thanks.
I put a pair of round led lights behind my lower grill, and I'm just not liking it..I even thought of putting them behind the upper grill, but wouldn't like how it would look. I even thought of putting them in the stock fog light location, but I Didn't want to cut up the bumper, so for now they're coming off..but hey maybe it will look better with the led bar than with the round led light

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My plan was an LED Bar, not round lights. I need to take the grill shell off to see exactly what my options are

·
Dude
2,363 Posts
It blocks air flow to the radiator. You want better lights upgrade to Hids, Leds or projecters. But of course this is just my opinion. I have fought hard to keep my engine cool so everything is done to improve that.:smt023

·
Waddle baby
302 Posts
I have been building a light bar for myself here recently. There are alot of insrtuctions out there to build them. You can get a lot more light for less money and you can say you built it. The one i built has 18 LEDs that are are running almost 3 amps and should be around 8000 lumens at the lamp. I have thought about mounting them behind my grill upper or lower as well. Only bad thing about mine is that they create ALOT of heat 85 degrees celsius. BTW be very carefulk buying a light bar. You can get some really cheap chinese knock offs that suck bad. Make sure you know what you are buying.

Attachments

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Pretty sure Matias [MISTERGadget] has huge 7"? Driving lights mounted behind his grill. You can barely see them and as far as effectiveness, you'd have to ask him. When you street race with 1150 RWHP I guess it's a good idea to put as much light down the road as possible LOL.

It's your truck, do whatever you want.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts