Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys. Just signed up and figured I'd say hello. This is the project we got goin on. (friends truck)

2001 lightning
Stegmeier snake bite kit
BBK twin 62mm throttle body
Dynatech 1 5/8 headers with catted mid pipe
Magnaflow cat back
LFP valve body
60 pound injectors
SCT 2600 MAF
Circle D tripple disk 2800 converter
hoosier dot quick time pros 28 12.50 16

dyno 421/497
ran [email protected] 106mph shifting at 4500rpm due to truck running lean after that (at the time was still on stock maf and injectors)

We pulled the motor to have the lower end done with manley h beams and pistons. Arp head studs and main studs will be used as well. The plan is to spray the thing with roughly 100 shot (zex kit). We are sticking with the eaton as is for now.

While it is all part we decided to get some cams for it. I am coming from the LSX world so I contacted Ed Curtis at FTI for a good cam combo. He has done stuff for me in the past and the results were excellent.

Intake Exhaust
Valve Adjustment: .000” .000”
Lobe Lift: .300” .300”

Gross Valve Lift 1.825:1 Ratio: .550” .550”

Duration @ .006” Tappet Lift: 262* 278*

Duration @ .050” Tappet Lift: 226* 242*

Lobe Separation: 116*

Recommended Intake Centerline: 112*

We will be using PAC 1517 springs and the required retainers as well. The 1517's have 120 pounds of closed pressure. Cam rpm range 2300-6500.

So any guesses on gains with the cams and then with the nitrous? Im not sure what we should be expecting.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. Looking into some cnc ported heads as one of the spark plug bosses melted. We found this when the motor was being torn down. Rather not risk it so we're looking into some other castings. Any good recomendations?

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,544 Posts
trick flows or JLP ported Romeo's

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update. Motor will be done in 2 weeks. Made the decision to run the tfs track heat heads! Motor will be roughly 9.2;1 compression.

·
Florida>Texas
10,629 Posts
nice..got pics of build?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get some! The heads should be in this week. Ill get a picture of the motor when we get it back from the machine shop.

What should we do with the oil pump. I was browsing around and saw a few options. What do most guys end up using?

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,544 Posts
makes me want to get a Credit Card and start charging :laughing25

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
credit and forget it! These 5.4 motors are WAAAY more expensive then the lsx stuff I deal with.

·
Delvallo
2,229 Posts
Looks real good +1 for Ed Curtis, he always treated me good, and even took the time to walk me over the phone how to degree my cam! ( for my gen1)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya he did a sbc build/valvetrain for me, my current project (forged 6.2 ls3, his valvetrain) in my 2000 trans am, and this lightning. He said to post pictures on his facebook so people would see that he does other things then pushrod motors. lol

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Fcking sick where did you get the kit from? And how much was it if u don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the nitrous kit?? bought it used off of ls1tech.com. it was 500 shipped for the bottle, lines, solenoids, bottle warmer, opener, blow down tube. its got pills for 50,75,100,125. We wont be using that untill next year. We want to get it dialed in the way it is first.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts