Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a knowledgeable shop, tuner here in the Dallas area for my 02 Lightning. A local shop has had my 02 for 3+ weeks for a supposed cylinder (#3) losing pressure. Throwing parts at it, Machinist not knowing WTF he's doing... The shop has done great work on my Z06, Fbodies... Not so much with my recently purchased Lightning... Kind of frustrated!:smt013

I know of HPP in Lewisville but have heard horror stories about them.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
If they have it torn apart i would have them finish it...taking the truck over to another shop while torn apart is not a good idea. Have them finish it that way if something goes bad they can be held accountable for it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree totally... I would NEVER just take it from one shop to another, I have used this shop for years...... It has to be a timing issue... While running, Drivers side is the only side that gets hot.. Passenger side, not! I'll give them til the end of the week.

·
Slevin
1,019 Posts
maybe look in southern oklahoma? I don't know of any around DFW

·
SLINGSHOT...ENGAGED
2,608 Posts
Nothing much in DFW.. HPP and Gearheads are DEFINITELY a bad decision

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, that's not good...... Leaning towards timing now.... They were removing, re installing timing chain when I stopped by yesterday...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I keep hearing bad things about all the shops in DFW regarding lightnings. It almost seems like if you don't go to PSI motorsports in Houston (Kemah) you're taking a gamble.

I'm still running an LFP canned tune because I don't trust anyone in DFW to re-tune it. :(

·
Slevin
1,019 Posts
I keep hearing bad things about all the shops in DFW regarding lightnings. It almost seems like if you don't go to PSI motorsports in Houston (Kemah) you're taking a gamble.

I'm still running an LFP canned tune because I don't trust anyone in DFW to re-tune it. :(
email tunes with JJ @ WMS
datalog and retune a few times

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my truck back today... Runs great!! Made 375/433 in 93 degree heat.... gonna make one more pull in the a.m while it's cool... Happy with it.... Only mods are a 4lb lower, K&N CAI, tune... Also purchased an SCT programmer that my tuner threw some different tunes in.... perf, towing, economy, different octane as I go up to OK every now and then.. They only have the 91 oct... I run 93 here... Life is good. Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going to add a 2.76 upper, larger heat exchanger, LFP TB, Bassanni mid pipe, cat back... and some idlers.... Call it a day!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just bought me an LFP SBTB.... It's a sickness...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, once was all it took...? Or you are not a "fan"...?
They built my Z06... along w my Fbod's... I have never had a problem w them. I ain't gonna lie, I was a little worried... But, They figured out what was up w my Lightning and it runs great! I am totally satisfied. Cannot wait to add more mods to it...[smilie=3g

[QUOTE="03slowbra, post: 4562026, member: 24969"]I had my car tuned at Truestreet once. Once.[/quote]

·
Registered
149 Posts
So, once was all it took...? Or you are not a "fan"...?
They built my Z06... along w my Fbod's... I have never had a problem w them. I ain't gonna lie, I was a little worried... But, They figured out what was up w my Lightning and it runs great! I am totally satisfied. Cannot wait to add more mods to it...[smilie=3g[/quote]
They tuned my whipple cobra a few years ago (2011). The car actually ran very good. However, shortly after that several people I knew had some serious serious issues with them.

For me, I try (hence try) to do all of the work myself or have close friends help me. I do the best I can NOT to take my stuff to anyone locally for parts installs, maintenance, whatever.

For tuning my cobra I go to HPP. For tuning my lightning I have JJ @ Woodbine email tune.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get that... One could say that about all shops. Too many variables. I too like to wrench on my vehicles... But, I am limited with what I am able to do. Basic bolt on stuff, changing fluids, etc... TSM has always done me right. Sounds like you went to them when they first opened. They have since moved and hired in some new mechanics. I have nothing bad to say about any shops. I only speak of my experience.

They tuned my whipple cobra a few years ago (2011). The car actually ran very good. However, shortly after that several people I knew had some serious serious issues with them.

For me, I try (hence try) to do all of the work myself or have close friends help me. I do the best I can NOT to take my stuff to anyone locally for parts installs, maintenance, whatever.

For tuning my cobra I go to HPP. For tuning my lightning I have JJ @ Woodbine email tune.

·
Tipton Co. Garbage Truck
1,538 Posts
when you get it tuned get a lightning guy to do it.

after I built my L I had a mustang guy tune it. ran like pure garbage.

eric corn hooked me up and now it runs like it should.

·
El duderino
13,077 Posts
Going to add a 2.76 upper, larger heat exchanger, LFP TB, Bassanni mid pipe, cat back... and some idlers.... Call it a day!
leave the upper alone. get a bigger lower to avoid belt slip issues

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmm,,, that is a thought. Final numbers today were 386/457... Runs really good...:bigtu

leave the upper alone. get a bigger lower to avoid belt slip issues

1 - 20 of 24 Posts