·
Registered
83 Posts
I like these posts. Keep em coming.

·
Oil Field Trash
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Is this what happened to my buddy Andrew post marriage? Writing about lightnings instead of building them? At least your as good of a writer as builder!
LOL, apparently. No, I'm just between builds. Finished 99% of Smurf, just gonna play with a couple little things like sound system and stuff. About to start assembling the engine for my '01 F-150. I was helping a buddy with his two trucks, but now they're both up and running. Just moved into the new house, and haven't finished unpacking into my new garage yet, so I figured I'd do a few write ups, primarily to help all the new owners on FB, who ask basic questions, and just get the answer, "Go read LR to find out!". That's a great answer, but can take months of reading this site and threads to figure it out. Here's most of your basics, and then some, all in one thread!

Reactions: Boss Hoss

·
Oil Field Trash
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,645 Posts
Excellent thread man! Award winning thread of the decade LOL

And I love the very first post mentioning "This is supposed to be a guideline to get you up to speed, without having to spend 6 months reading random threads on LR, LG, or God help us, FaceBook"

I still struggle with the FB side of the online L community growing and the forum side shrinking. Autoguide also shot itself in the foot with the whole password reset thing driving a lot of members away. FB is great for sharing pics and quick stuff while scrolling on the phone, but it's absolutely terrible for tech info like this! Still makes me scratch my head when long time forum users just cave into it as well and just stop supporting the forums yet gripe the forums are dead. Yeah the activity is way less, but they can still be useful if we still continue to share our info here. I use LR for sharing tech and pics, and FB for just sharing pics. FB will never support the tech info as long as their format stays along the lines it is. Eventually it may get there, but it's nowhere near close yet. I'm digressing though lol.

Great thread! One thing I'd also maybe include in a writeup you have reserved for TBD topics is track-101. Just the basics of what to do or not do when going to the track in a L. See so many guys do the wrong stuff then wonder why they're not going as fast as they should be. Just things like what size tire for general combos (slicks: 26" for stock-400 rwhp, 28" for 400-600 rwhp, 30" for 600-800+ rwhp, DRs: 295s vs. 315s and 295s actually have the bigger contact patch on 10" wheels), bogarts vs racestars & grinding vs caliper bracket vs aerospace, ideal tire pressures to start at for a slick, a DR, or an all-season. Easy weight reduction mods to help at the track (sways, seats, tailgate, hitch, spare, every 100 lbs = ~ 1 tenth). Even the simple prep stuff, don't sit with your hood closed, ice in the IC tank, fans for the track. Launch RPM, stock converters like to be flashed from idle-1000, don't try to stall it up to 2k on a stock converter. Big power trucks launch from 1500 and watch what happens, don't try to launch at 3000 RPM because you've got big power and a big converter, it's not a stick car or a turbo truck. Even people coming from racing other cars I've seen do goofy stuff when they go to race a L just because the approach is slightly different.

·
Registered
966 Posts
With 6# lower, 255 pumps, Accufab FPR, 97 Rails, full exhaust, and other bolt-ons on a stock block, I was on the fence with getting 60# injectors. Sounds like I can put the $350 towards something else. Great thread! Thanks

·
Oil Field Trash
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
With 6# lower, 255 pumps, Accufab FPR, 97 Rails, full exhaust, and other bolt-ons on a stock block, I was on the fence with getting 60# injectors. Sounds like I can put the $350 towards something else. Geat thread! Thanks
Yup, if you read this excellent thread about racing a stock block Lightning at the track from DolSVT00 from a while back, he offers more support on that than I have by citing some of Kenne Bell's testing. Sadly, the link he provides is dead, but I found where it moved to here. As you can see, Kenne Bell made 540 rwhp with a bone stock fuel system, stock pumps, stock injectors, no boost a pump. Of course, going to 60# injectors definitely won't hurt, but they're not needed IMHO until you're eclipsing 500 rwhp.

What you don't need for low 12's

Injectors and fuel pumps, KB done a test years ago and got well over 500 RWHP off of the stock 42# injectors stock fuel system with a KB 2.3. http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/fo...boostguide.pdf

I have almost the biggest lower pulley you can buy and the smallest upper you can use without machine work to the snout of the Eaton on a built motor, and I'm still on 42# injectors with plenty of fuel in the top of 3rd. Upgrade them when you change the blower.
Full thread here, excellent read

·
Registered
1 Posts
Boy you answered so many questions. Forums are a lot harder to navigate than Facebook. And the 10 digit password with this and that, symbols and caps, etc. There fb pages that stickies on them also. Only one I know of off the top of my head is (don't judge me) the 3.8/4.2 mustang page.

I am dieing to understand more about when I need which maf. Not sure how this forum works, but I think I should get a notification somehow for any post updates.

·
Mr. Camtec
366 Posts
Took Me a few DAYS!!! But MAN!!! Excellent! This and You are a great help for us Guys who are learning ..I can't thank you enough!

·
Cogswell Cogs
3,390 Posts
Fantastic write up TBone!!! There's a wealth of information in one thread, great job and thank you for taking the time to compile and post all that info.

·
Jeffv333
2,234 Posts
Sad to see most members comment on the race drama stuff. And don't blow up the important stuff like this. I haven't read the full thing yet as I've been very busy, but I still have something to look forward to to read. Great job and all of my hats off to you. :smt054

·
Registered
126 Posts
If someone has never dealt with a supercharger or a performance vehicle, that is by far the best explanation I've ever come across.. hats off to you man that's a lot of work ?

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

·
Road Racing Extraordinaire
276 Posts
looking forward to the suspension section! are you going to discuss both drag racing and handling applications?

·
Oil Field Trash
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
looking forward to the suspension section! are you going to discuss both drag racing and handling applications?
I do need to get back after finishing it soon. As far as suspension, I'm not getting too deep. I'm mainly just outlining the popular components used to lower a truck. Pro's/Con's of spindles vs control arms vs springs, encouraging the use of long bars, etc. Mainly how to do it properly, what each part does, and it's pro's and con's compared to other parts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Awesome, great read. Learned a lot and have owned my L since brand new 15 years ago. You have saved this community 100s or 1000s of $$ by not buying unneeded mods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Road Racing Extraordinaire
276 Posts
I do need to get back after finishing it soon. As far as suspension, I'm not getting too deep. I'm mainly just outlining the popular components used to lower a truck. Pro's/Con's of spindles vs control arms vs springs, encouraging the use of long bars, etc. Mainly how to do it properly, what each part does, and it's pro's and con's compared to other parts.
Understandable, that's perfect for most owners needs

21 - 40 of 74 Posts