Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2001 with 70k on the clock. Doing some light performance mods and I'm just reaching out to make sure I'm not getting myself in trouble. I'm relatively new to supercharged issues. My mods are Bissani catted mid pipe into a flowmaster exhaust, JLT airbox and filter, fluidyne intercooler, maybe TR6 plugs, new fuel filter, cleaning the MAF, oil change, transmission flush with a Predator street valve body, coolant clean and flush, intercooler clean and flush, maybe a Mashimoto radiator and hoses, will I need a tune or will the PCM adjust? No pulleys, just a freshen up of the belts and tensioners. Throttle body?

What am I forgetting? But mostly will it need a tune? I live in the middle of no where so driving it to get it tuned right now is not an option. With what I'm doing will it be ok without a tune?

Not really looking for more HP just reliability and a few more HP.

·
10 second street truck
12,840 Posts
The plugs are wrong if you're stock boost.
Stock plugs.

The lightning has a very robust cooling system. If you want to waste money on a radiator, that's your call.

A throttle body will net you almost nothing on a stock truck.

Unless you're adding boost you don't need a tune.

Flow master exhaust has shown to be restrictive on these. I recommend something else.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
^^^100% correct!
Do a search for the Modding 101….read it and then go from there.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
buy a 5.0 coyote motor with tranny with all wiring and computer. It would be cheaper

·
Stiffler's guinea pig
6,768 Posts
Dusten is correct with his comments. Use stock plugs. You don't need a tune, as none of your mods would require a change. Just do the regular maintenance on it and enjoy.

·
Registered
⚡ Subscribe on YouTube ⚡
72 Posts
Pretty much just echoing what others have said, they all pretty much hit the nail on the head, but here's my input anyways.

Use stock plugs when running stock boost - Motorcraft sp-471 gapped at .044. Idles better and lasts longer than TR6's
Throttle body is a waste of time on most trucks, unless your going built, the money is better spent elsewhere for sure
You won't need a tune unless you pulley up, change injectors, or do something drastic. With what your planning, no tune is required.

if you want more info, here's a video I did on modding, and there's more on the channel

Reactions: 2019 HD

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Not to doodoo on everyone's advice, but I'm stock boost/tune and have been running TR6's since 2010 (actually since 06 if you count my Slobra) Not saying that they're better than OEM plugs for a stock pulleyed L, but I've never had them cause me issues after about 130K miles and my truck runs and idles smooth as butter at 206K miles. I don't gap them small at stock boost, but I've never worn a TR6 out either. Last time I change them was 12/16 which was the last time I had my blower out the truck according to my pictures. Again not saying that they're a better choice at stock boost than Motorcraft plugs, but they seem to work fine. If you're trucks running smooth I sure don't think they'll hurt anything being a colder burning plug.

·
Administrator
18,754 Posts
It's science.

Stock boost needs a heat range 5 plug. You're running a colder heat range 6.

Combustion is best achieved using the hottest plug possible.
Hottest it will take before any pre-ignition. This is best for performance. And also the biggest gap it will fire reliably. Longer insulator on hotter plug also keeps heat out of water jackets.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty much just echoing what others have said, they all pretty much hit the nail on the head, but here's my input anyways.

Use stock plugs when running stock boost - Motorcraft sp-471 gapped at .044. Idles better and lasts longer than TR6's
Throttle body is a waste of time on most trucks, unless your going built, the money is better spent elsewhere for sure
You won't need a tune unless you pulley up, change injectors, or do something drastic. With what your planning, no tune is required.

if you want more info, here's a video I did on modding, and there's more on the channel

Thanks for the reply, I've watched that video, and many of your others. My tuner wants to, if I decide to go with a 4lbs pulley, make the trans shift firmer etc. Won't that screw with the Predator Valve body I installed?

·
Administrator
18,754 Posts
Aftermarket valvebody requires mostly stock trans tuning. Some of our tuners who deal with these trucks daily may make small changes in addition to the VB. But in general leave trans settings alone and let the VB you purchased do it's job. If you go 4# of pulley a tune is highly suggested. In that case of added boost, a colder plug gapped tighter will be required.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts