·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed steering stabilizer from LFP
Automotive fuel system Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive fuel system Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
yesterday. Here's a couple pictures for anyone interested in what it would look like installed on your Lightning.

·
Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius!
11,485 Posts
Have you driven it? Does it make any difference? Asking for a friend.

·
11,485 Posts
My truck only eats the skinny front tires. I have standard 9.5 rims on the front now with 295/45-18s on them and they are wearing just fine. Always wondered if I should have the alignment changed to suit the skinny tires since they are the same size as a standard F-150 of the era, and the alignment on them was different than for Lightning's. It's strange that when I have the 9.5s on the front, the tires wear fine. But when I put the narrowed rims and skinny tires on, it tends to take a lot off the outside edge.

Truck only has 72,0000 miles on it, and I've never hit anything with the front end that would cause any kind of damage. Never ran into or over a curb, nothing. Last time I had the front in the air, I did the tire wiggle routine. Front-to-back, top-to-bottom. No wiggle, it's still tight. I'll be putting the skinny tires back on it today. Trying a different tire brand to see what happens.

·
Registered
420 Posts
also interested in any input on driving difference..

and

those skinny tires wearing on the outer edges ...??

betting that if driven on road they probably don't resist rolling under the rim when turning ..

like turning hard on regular tires can do only as they are skinny you don't have to drive as hard to roll them under the rim when turning - so "normal" driving seems to cause wear being less effort is required to roll 'em under

if you could find a spot to try running the same turn , say in an empty parking lot .. a few goes on each style tire I'd bet your buddy watching would see a difference

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

and

betting that if driven on road they probably don't resist rolling under the rim when turning ..

like turning hard on regular tires can do only as they are skinny you don't have to drive as hard to roll them under the rim when turning - so "normal" driving seems to cause wear being less effort is required to roll 'em under

if you could find a spot to try running the same turn , say in an empty parking lot .. a few goes on each style tire I'd bet your buddy watching would see a difference
No prob... I'll keep you posted

·
11,485 Posts

Those skinny tires I refer to are 225/60-18's on seven inch narrowed stock rims. With 2.5 inches removed from the inside surface. I've always wondered if, because the center of the rim has been relocated, it causes some kind of geometry change as far as how the tires handle turns and such. Because the Goodyear Eagles I have on the truck now are eight years old and have around 25,000 miles on them. They've never been rotated or turned inside out. They are worn totally flat, with no excessive wear on the inside or outside. They need to be replaced as the wear bars are hitting across the whole tread surface. But, when I put those seven inch rims on, I'm lucky to get 5000 miles out of the tires. I have to take them to my friend's shop and have him turn the tires inside out two or three times to get that 5000 miles.

Like I said, trying a different tire brand to see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts

and

I'd say you're on to something...I think I might go to a parking lot and chalk the sidewalls up onto the tread and then do a few hard turns. That would tell you if they're rolling under and, if so, how much. That's not a whole lot of tire to support all of the weight up front on these trucks.

And I've never really gotten the point of a steering stabilizer on these trucks and never felt as if mine needed one.

·
11,485 Posts
The tires on the front of mine, the weight rating is good for the amount of front end weight these trucks have. But, at 51 psi. And that's what I run them at, 45 to 50 psi. I do believe that 235 is what regular F-150s had on them back at the time these trucks were made. But, when I see a Lightning with those real skinny tires on four or five inch rims, it does make me scratch my head.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm presuming the shock mounted to the center link might "slow" down the steering ?

though I might not need to try .. I just did the 25% underdrive pulleys and found that while I still have the typical "ford pinky steer power steering" , I do now have the feeling of a little weight behind the steering input .. it seems an improvement

·
2.9 Whipple E85R A1 Transmission
12,515 Posts
Robert, the truck could have all brand new parts and drives straight.. doesn't mean it's aligned.
When I had those narrowed front wheels, the tires never had any abnormal wear.
My truck has 6" wide tires on the front and still look good after several hundred 140+mph hits on them.

How much have you spent on front tires? What's another $100 for an alignment.
Try lowering the air pressure to 35psi.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts