Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this? It says it will cool down the temp more due to more fluid capacity.....

·
Registered
270 Posts
not sure but i wanted to try it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Personally I think its a waste of money . Once the fluid reaches temp it won't change.Its not nearly enough reserve to do that. The stock intercooling system is already awesome and has been praised by Kenne bell, JDM and alike. A larger heat exchanger works well but the 6 inch spall fans on the stock H.E. kicks ass. Thats what I use in addition to a bypass switch on the intercooler pump. And it ran me less than $140 bucks! :smt035

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Good points mondo1. But remember the more the fluid capacity the better the temperature stabilization. It will get up to temp slower.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Info, once I get my truck up and running- this Texas heat is a killer and im going with a bigger HE and possibly the larger tank

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mondo1 said:
Personally I think its a waste of money . Once the fluid reaches temp it won't change.Its not nearly enough reserve to do that. The stock intercooling system is already awesome and has been praised by Kenne bell, JDM and alike. A larger heat exchanger works well but the 6 inch spall fans on the stock H.E. kicks ass. Thats what I use in addition to a bypass switch on the intercooler pump. And it ran me less than $140 bucks! :smt035
armand should i get a heat exchanger and an e-fan? TC is making up my alcohol injection kit right now. the alcohol and slicks will be on before FFW and im hoping to run consistent 12.40's maybe lower.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tommy- Like many others, I happen to like the e-fans...but NOT with the cobraR water pump. The fans reduce parisitic drag to the tune of 8-10 h.p., but the Cobra water pumps adds hydro-drag that negates about 3-4 h.p. So keep the factory pump and add the e-fan. I personally don't like the flex-a-lites (i'll tell you why in person) . get a curved blade single fan. (I can get those) . As far as the larger heat exchangers go I do like the afcos, but I'll tell you that when your truck is moving they make a slight difference at best. The real killer is in stop and go, or at the track between runs. Thats why I prefer hardwiring one or two small "spal" fans to the factory H.E. Then run a switch to them and add an "on-off" bypass switch to the I/C pump and your set. This will insure a cooler air charge when your compressed boost air passes through the intercooler when you really need it, and save a couple hundred greenbacks as a bonus.I'll put that against any big H/E out there. That is my experience with this set-up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
ya TC said not to go with exchanger but im definitely gonna get the LFP e-fan. and along with my alcohol injection kit from TC and some slicks i should be low 12's i hope b/c when i ran that 12.6 at moroso i was the car after one of those starlets blew up and there was oil on my radials i could take it off with my finger so i definitely could have went faster if it werent for that little sh1tbox. im thinking about having tc build my bottom end and do ported heads as well whenever he finishes his tiburon cuz i know how bad he wants it done. would i go 11's with a built bottom, ported heads,e-fan and alky?

·
Premium Member
13,857 Posts
I find spraying a little sub zero down the ole intake, works wonders for inlet temps :D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Rob_02Lightning said:
I find spraying a little sub zero down the ole intake, works wonders for inlet temps :D
i also fid according to u that it wears ur bearings down nasty lol. once it is built it will go on a 150-200 but i wanna hit 11's motor first

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tommy- If you want my favorite receipe for deep 11 second times(like 11.5's all day) Then I would suggest calling me at your earliest convenience. It is what I'm doing in the next few weeks. :smt023 BTW, it does NOT involve nitrous or ported heads.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang, how did my post get HIJACKED?????????

·
Registered
426 Posts
the Cobra water pumps adds hydro-drag that negates about 3-4 h.p.
First off.. I'm not an advocate of Lightning guys switching to either of the "cobra" pumps. (On a daily driver that is)

But with all due respect... that statement is not accurate.

In case ya'll don't know.. I'm your water pump guru. [smilie=wavey.gif]
I designed, engineered, validated, and tooled all the Ford waterpumps for the modular engine family.

Hopefully sometime soon I'll write a artical for the e-zine fully explaining all this pump info...

Rich

·
Registered
24 Posts
wydopnthrtl said:
the Cobra water pumps adds hydro-drag that negates about 3-4 h.p.
First off.. I'm not an advocate of Lightning guys switching to either of the "cobra" pumps.  (On a daily driver that is)

But with all due respect... that statement is not accurate. 

In case ya'll don't know.. I'm your water pump guru.  [smilie=wavey.gif]   
I designed, engineered, validated, and tooled all the Ford waterpumps for the modular engine family.

Hopefully sometime soon I'll write a artical for the e-zine fully explaining all this pump info...

Rich 

Then please correct us with your info. I am real curious in seeing this from an expert in this field.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Gains are relative to the year of Lightning.

Th 99s and I think some 2000s came with the 8 blade impeller. That's a absolute hog and I'd recommend anybody who has one to ditch it. I won't get into why but it has much more to do with other issues besides power consumption.
The 7 blade (102mm dia. impeller) is what your wanting. I spent a stupid amount of time tweaking it in the 4.6/5.4 block environment. So when the 99 PI project (cobra team) came around they liked what I/we had done with the truck pump. They basically cut the impeller OD down to achieve a *certain* power consumption figure. Problem is that in meeting their goal they threw out the window A LOT of other basic water pump principals. De-gassing of the cylinder walls is my biggest pet peeve.. In the end we put a shroud on top of the impeller to regain some of the lost efficiency's.

Anyway.. going from a 7 bladed truck pump to a 7 blade cobra pump will net you approx 4hp at the crank.

Rich

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Guys,

Rather than split the thread I decided to open her up again, if anyone has any info for Silverbolt01 please pass it along as he is interested to know what is what according to his inital question.

You guys rock! :smt023

Thanks,

Chris

p.s. Silverbolt01: Thanks for your understanding bro, I apologize things went astray but I am sure some others that have the experience on your question will chime in. Thank you once again for your understanding :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Has anyone used this?  It says it will cool down the temp more due to more fluid capacity.....
Sorry for the tangent.  [smilie=laugh.gif]

Anytime you add capacity it takes longer for temps to transfer.  That works both ways though.  Heating up and cooling down.

Street driving I'd think it to be worse that the stock set up.  At the track and running no more than two laps at a time it's a good thing.  Especially if you can add a cooler or even a set of fans.

Rich

1 - 17 of 17 Posts