Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
A1 TRANSMISSION
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have decided to run my truck on e98 and am currently in the process of switching over. Pros and cons. I have already spoke with several people making big power with it.

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
You can't lead and follow.

You haven't seen people here talking about e98, because that falls under the 1%'er category.
The majority of Lightning owners either don't have the kind of cheddar to make these trucks fast or decided long ago there money would go much further on another platform.

You, Harley#356, CT Topgun, Leach, MBBS, Jagerbomb, etc etc have all crossed from information seeking territory to testing/sharing, concerning this site. The rest of us live vicariously through the build threads.
There isn't information to draw from when in uncharted territory.

The pros and cons comment was just a joke, no need to get upset.
The place is dead because all the sticker and air filter owners moved to facebook, not because some post joking comments.
"New" information hasn't been free-flowing for years around here.

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Better off with M1 if you do e98 as it will be cheaper

Pump e85 is all you need

M1 is far cheaper and better fuel then e98

·
A1 TRANSMISSION
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can't lead and follow.

You haven't seen people here talking about e98, because that falls under the 1%'er category.
The majority of Lightning owners either don't have the kind of cheddar to make these trucks fast or decided long ago there money would go much further on another platform.

You, Harley#356, CT Topgun, Leach, MBBS, Jagerbomb, etc etc have all crossed from information seeking territory to testing/sharing, concerning this site. The rest of us live vicariously through the build threads.
There isn't information to draw from when in uncharted territory.

The pros and cons comment was just a joke, no need to get upset.
The place is dead because all the sticker and air filter owners moved to facebook, not because some post joking comments.
"New" information hasn't been free-flowing for years around here.
Just busting your balls,but seriously we need MORE info on this site to keep progress going forward.

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
I agree!
I watch the group of you guys that are really pushing things and glean as much as I can, because for the time being my truck is being all it can be.

·
Head of R&D at A1 Transmission
5,624 Posts
Pro - lower cost, more detonation resistant, cooler burn, more powah to be made safely.

Con - Less thermally efficient so greater volume required to produce said power, hydroscopic so water contamination is possible, detrimental to some parts unless all precautions are taken to ensure alcohol compatability.

Consistency won't be an issue since you will most likely be buying from a supplier in a drum unlike pump E85 that can vary.

Almost forgot - doesn't smell like race gas.

·
105's Coming Soon!!!
2,359 Posts
Subscribed since I'm running E85 in the mustang. I too am looking to learn more about this wonderful fuel. E98 you could probably drink and get sh!t faced since it's pretty much pure alcohol. I believe the only reason they add the 2% fuel is so us drinkers don't abuse it. :p Congrats on getting the truck back up and running good. You have good patience or a very short memory.:bigtu

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
My brother runs e85 in his mustang, not e98 though. Consistently tests out to e90 at the pump except for winter blend. There are a LOT of myths out there in regards to ethanol fuels causing problems. Most of it is posted by people who just don't know. I know many running e85 that have stored their cars with it in the tank over winter with no issues come spring. Just top off the tank before storage. Ethanol is very hygroscopic so don't leave it venting to the atmosphere. Use the ptfe fuel hose. I used the fragola ptfe hose with black outer coating, pricy but awesome stuff. I am plumbed for the corn but just need deatchwerks 1200 injectors. My brother and I are running dual walbro 465 pumps. He was over 800 rwhp this season, just finished a boss 302 big bore stroker build with a 4.0 whipple & 03-04 cobra heads in his 05 mustang.

I say go for it and enjoy the benefits and safety that comes with it.

What specific questions do you have?

·
Registered
56 Posts
e98

I live here in cali where we have some of the worst pump gas in the country.my truck is pretty mild compred to most. I use it for a work truck.having recently bought a hand held tuner I was getting some pinging.my brother told me the explorer guys(v6ditt) are running 3 gallons of e85 in their 19 gallon tanks with the rest being 91 octane premium with no issues.so I have been running about 3.5 gals in my 03's 25 gallon tank with no issues and no more pinging.i know the stuff is pretty corrosive on the fuel system etc. but pinging can be pretty harmful as well.kinda picked the lesser of two evils.planning on going to some tr6ix's soon and maybe I won't have to spike my tank with e85.i will update:potstirring

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Ive made close to 1100 rwhp on pump e85....you wont need e98 as for consistency dont be tuned ragged and youll be fine

Youll gain power just from being oxygenated

Variance of e80 to e88 wont make any bit of difference

Ive pushed 20* and 25 psi on pump e85 where on c16 it only safe to take 16* @ 25psi
Tune off plugs
Run afr 11.4

And pump e85 will be all you need

1 - 20 of 26 Posts