Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a few pics of the work I have done recently.

Its 316 grade stainless .135 thick

Used a miller dynasty 200, set at 85amps, regulator set to 17, and 1/16 fill rod and a #6 cup

Job I'm working on has me doing 99' of this kind of weld

Attachments

·
Stock block 11 second club
10,556 Posts
:bigtu

Nice beads George! I wish I could weld. I've been thinking recently about a career change and I have kicked around the idea of using my GI Bill to enroll in metal fab/welding trade school.

I was raised by a man who is great at metal fabrication and to this day he makes everything! My dad never welded as a profession, just as a hobby. Growing up I always assumed I'd learn from him but it never happened. This past summer just before moving back to San Diego I expressed to him my regrets. He started grabbing scrap metal to give me a crash-course. I have a LONG way to go [smilie=om but it was a great father/son moment and my first attempt at welding will always hang on the shop wall as a reminder.

[SIZE="4"]* THE ATTACHED IMAGE IS NOT FOR THE SQUEEMISH *[/SIZE]

·
Divergent
13,541 Posts
Wow, great work George

I need to find a professional welder here locally. I need leaf perches removed and new ones welded on at the correct angle. These darn belltech hangers.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Your a fancy arse George :shitstormretarded

Here's some CAST Aluminium TIG'ed.

TIG welded the FRPS to the other side of the rail. Purged with Argon. What Psi purge would you recommend ?

·
tuned by JJ @ WMS
8,864 Posts

Nice beads George! I wish I could weld. I've been thinking recently about a career change and I have kicked around the idea of using my GI Bill to enroll in metal fab/welding trade school.

I was raised by a man who is great at metal fabrication and to this day he makes everything! My dad never welded as a profession, just as a hobby. Growing up I always assumed I'd learn from him but it never happened. This past summer just before moving back to San Diego I expressed to him my regrets. He started grabbing scrap metal to give me a crash-course. I have a LONG way to go [smilie=om but it was a great father/son moment and my first attempt at welding will always hang on the shop wall as a reminder.

[SIZE="4"]* THE ATTACHED IMAGE IS NOT FOR THE SQUEEMISH *[/SIZE]

Youre practically ready for a tubular chassis[smilie=om

·
tuned by JJ @ WMS
8,864 Posts
How did you learn how to weld. Ive always wantes to learn to weld. My dad knows how and so does my brother and I kick myself in the ass for never having learned at a younger age. You have some bad ass work.

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How did you learn how to weld. Ive always wantes to learn to weld. My dad knows how and so does my brother and I kick myself in the ass for never having learned at a younger age. You have some bad ass work.
I always played around with welding when I was an electrician but 5 yrs ago I joined the sheet metal union and set forth to be a specialty welder...doing so helped my side Gig as performance builder

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts

Welding is one thing I would really like to learn as well, and I've been debating on using some of my GI Bill as well. Not sure I'll ever be up to George's level, but I'd like to be decent

·
Formally chrisb07
1,737 Posts
I would love to learn how to tig. I recently sold my mig and stick before moving to Albuquerque to cut down on stuff to move. Kinda regret it. I'll have to get another welder whenever we move and I get a bigger garage.

·
Drink 'til she's cute
265 Posts
I always played around with welding when I was an electrician but 5 yrs ago I joined the sheet metal union and set forth to be a specialty welder...doing so helped my side Gig as performance builder
Great looking welds for sure George. Mine aren't quite as pretty, but I haven't had a torch in my hand for awhile now. Makes me wish I hadn't dropped out of the welding program I was in a few years back. I got a job offer and all I saw was $$$, never thought about doing something I actually enjoyed, haha.

Can you give some insight on prep for the cast to billet? Mainly all we used in class was varying grades of stainless, mild/medium steel, and tubing on occasion. I ended up leaving the program before much aluminum work began.

·
tuned by JJ @ WMS
8,864 Posts
Seeing this makes me want to go to school for welding. I have a welder at home just not sure what kind ot might be. Ill post a picture when I get home to show you so you can explain to me

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great looking welds for sure George. Mine aren't quite as pretty, but I haven't had a torch in my hand for awhile now. Makes me wish I hadn't dropped out of the welding program I was in a few years back. I got a job offer and all I saw was $$$, never thought about doing something I actually enjoyed, haha.

Can you give some insight on prep for the cast to billet? Mainly all we used in class was varying grades of stainless, mild/medium steel, and tubing on occasion. I ended up leaving the program before much aluminum work began.
First thing I did was use a stainless brush to scrub the cast
Next was i made a pass
Next was use same brush and scrub the contaminates out of the weld
Then made another pass with less heat and result is what you see

1 - 20 of 103 Posts