Lightning Rodder banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My truck is going to be undergoing some serious changes here real soon as far as the frame and suspension go. I'm hoping to see what some of you guys have done in regards to any type of frame work i.e. boxing the frame, adding in support braces, roll cage work and how it ties to the frame and also what your rear suspension setup is like.

I plan on running a set of coil overs in the rear and I was thinking 4 link for weekend street use, track truck and mile racing.

What are your thoughts and which way would you go if the choice was up to you. It's time I start to finalize this part of the build and I want to make sure I am heading on the right track.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Im also planning on a rear suspension overhaul this winter. I was planning for a 3 link with watts link. It will be a home-made job. From what I've researched its a good "all around" suspension. Also curious to see what you guys have came up with.

·
RWHP ADDICT
600 Posts
I've been thinking about a four link setup with coilovers, and a wishbone traclocator , so i could remove the leafs and widen a set of the 20" rpros to 14" wide, and run a set of the Mickey thompson street radials on the rear , but nothing concrete yet.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are everyones thoughts on a 4 link setup for street use?

·
Even Then I Was Old Skool!
10,411 Posts
Take a look at Pauls build thread on the TITS Turbojet. Lot of good ideas there, Paul still drives that 8-second truck on the street, even has heat/AC. Another good source if you can find the pix is Ian's PITSTAIN build, and I think Vinnie has some nice pix of his chassis as well (see below). Another guy if you can get in touch, is LightninMike. IIRC Mike has coil-overs and a link kit that he used.

Mike

Attachments

·
Panty Dropper
5,911 Posts
Take a look at Pauls build thread on the TITS Turbojet. Lot of good ideas there, Paul still drives that 8-second truck on the street, even has heat/AC. Another good source if you can find the pix is Ian's PITSTAIN build, and I think Vinnie has some nice pix of his chassis as well (see below). Another guy if you can get in touch, is LightninMike. IIRC Mike has coil-overs and a link kit that he used.

Mike
Big difference in street driven and driven on the street. As mentioned above, poly ends are the only way if it's street driven primarily. Spherical rod ends SUCK on the street for any extended time. It's not their fault, they do what they do best, which doesn't equate into a comfortable ride.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big difference in street driven and driven on the street. As mentioned above, poly ends are the only way if it's street driven primarily. Spherical rod ends SUCK on the street for any extended time. It's not their fault, they do what they do best, which doesn't equate into a comfortable ride.

While my build will see street time, I don't mind sacrificing street comfort for better 60s.

Old Timer, thanks for the heads up I will try and find those builds you mentioned.

·
Boostaholic
4,729 Posts
with rod ends you will need to make sure they are always lubed if they dry up some then binding will occur and failure will happen

theres been poly bushings in the 1.3s, its all in what you want

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
with rod ends you will need to make sure they are always lubed if they dry up some then binding will occur and failure will happen

theres been poly bushings in the 1.3s, its all in what you want

George, Thanks for the heads up on this.

04Rook your post helps out so much. thank you, your build is amazing and almost exactly like what I'm wanting to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts