Lightning Rodder banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
local painter
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys don’t let me screw this up :shitstormretarded

I’m starting out with a new JLP long block. And I’m trying to decide what parts from build#1 I will use on the new engine. and compile a parts list for whatever else I need to complete the long block.

I will be using the JLP short block basically as is. I’ll change out the oil pump for one with billet gears. (MMR Hurricane pump). as far as I know that’s about it for the short block unless you guys have ideas.

For the heads. The JLP came with stage 2 heads with the bigger valves ect. But I have TFS185 heads on build#1 but they will need to be sent off somewhere to be inspected and or upgraded. They are the 44s so I’m not sure I wanna drop the compression. But I like the idea of the TFS heads being beefy and rebuildable ect. I’ve ordered the GT/GT500 cam followers and lash adjusters to go in whichever heads I choose. Build#1 already has the GT followers.

Cams.
Build#1 has custom cut Comp cams. I have the cam card. Was hoping someone could give me a basic explanation of what the numbers mean on the card.
I’ll probably use the comps since I have no clue what the JLP cams are that came in these stage 2 heads. I’ve tried contacting JLP to get a cam card but I don’t think they will share that info. Depending on what I can find out about these cams I’m thinking I’ll use the comps.
Build#1 has old style Comp adjustable gears and I ordered new style for build#2

Bolts.
Build#1 has ARP2000 everything. So I’ll replace the ARP head studs that JLP used for my ARP2000 set from old build.
Ill also replace the Cam bolts with the ARP2000 bolts from old build.
The ARP crank bolt from build#1 will not work for build#2 because the CJ crank takes a different bolt.

Any ideas or feedback or even smart remarks are welcome :smt023

Pics from build#1

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
I would use the TF heads bro.. that's what a lot of big power builds go with excluding a couple guys who run PI heads with great results as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know for a fact Comp Cams will tell you anything you want to know about one of their cams, assuming they can identify it, why wouldn't JLP? They must not be able to identify the cams. Might be a bad part number or computer crash wiped out their archive or aliens stole their technology so they could install a Lightning motor in Elon Musk's Roadster. Something like that.

Sorry, the coffee ain't kicked in yet.

·
local painter
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know for a fact Comp Cams will tell you anything you want to know about one of their cams, assuming they can identify it, why wouldn't JLP? They must not be able to identify the cams. Might be a bad part number or computer crash wiped out their archive or aliens stole their technology so they could install a Lightning motor in Elon Musk's Roadster. Something like that.

Sorry, the coffee ain't kicked in yet.
Lol.
I think it’s mostly they just haven’t called me back yet.. I’ll give them a few more days before I leave a 2nd message. The ticket that came with the longblock says stage 2 heads but on a separate line says cams for lightning.
Hopefully they at least tell me what lift they are. But if I can’t get them to send a cam card I’ll likely just go with my comps.

Reactions: hightechredneck

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Well is it together yet? Whats taking so long? Haha, maybe one of these days we might be able to line them up...little bit of tvs vs baby whipple action.

Reactions: Leeproctor83

·
local painter
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well is it together yet? Whats taking so long? Haha, maybe one of these days we might be able to line them up...little bit of tvs vs baby whipple action.
Ha Ha. Wouldn’t be much of a race once your new 5.8 is in. :smt023

Reactions: baja5bss

·
local painter
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just spoke to John. He was very helpful:smile2:
I’m still undecided about the heads cams combo.
I may leave the JLP heads and cams in one piece and sell to pay for upgrades on the TFS/Comp heads.

·
I paid my buck-o-five
75,544 Posts
just remember, a PI head intended Cam will not perform best on trickflow heads ad they require a custom cam

·
local painter
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
just remember, a PI head intended Cam will not perform best on trickflow heads ad they require a custom cam
Good point.
Comp asked what heads and several other questions before cutting the cams for my trickflows. But that was back when the TFS185s just came out. So I should contact Comp and find out if they were aware of this back then.

·
local painter
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dumb questions

Brown truck came.
This thread is bound to be full of dumb questions.. but what are these(circled in green) for?:smt102

Attachments

·
AntiSocial
21 BMW M550i xDrive, 18 Chevy Equinox LT 2.0T
872 Posts
Are they soft or hard? Could they possibly be alignment dowels?

·
local painter
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are they soft or hard? Could they possibly be alignment dowels?
They are rubber hoses. Approximately 6” by 1/2”ID

·
local painter
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Worlds Fastest Street HD Truck
14,630 Posts
1st off, very interesting seeing the motor on an engine dyno, that's pretty cool. You rarely see that on these motors. Really curious what it put down, vs. what it did in the truck if you ever dynoed it. You'll actually get legit loss value between @ motor and @ wheel.

2nd, as mentioned the TF head geometry is different, so cams should be spec'ed accordingly otherwise you're leaving power on the table. That's a big reason why earlier TF builds weren't holding a candle to PI builds. Folks would have all this money dumped into a "better" head with upgraded parts, upgrading the port jobs, etc. and then run slower than ported PIs that were run of the mill. Gotta make sure the cam profile is setup for the different head geometry or you're taking 2 steps forward & 1 step backwards.

Reactions: Leeproctor83

·
local painter
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
with the steig ported M112. Here’s the sheet. The builder used a F.A.S.T ECM setup to run the engine. Unfortunately I do not have a dyno sheet for the installed motor. :ronbowoohoo

Attachments

·
local painter
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A box came today.
GT/GT500 followers and lash adjusters

Attachments

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Sir,
Hey dude. I waited till after others replied for a reason.

One of the biggest insults you can give a Master Chef, is to add salt & pepper before tasting his creation. After tasting (getting a baseline) adding additional taste enhancement is acceptable. These people have gone to Culinary Arts school and have years of experience in food preparation in order to satisfy the tastes of people who demand, and pay for the best.

You sir, are faced with the same "salt & pepper" dilemma. Are the TF heads better? Probably. Better for your combo? You won't know that until you have a baseline to gauge by. The word "combo" gets thrown around here a lot without the understanding that a combo is intended to solve a particular problem, or have a specific use.

JL has years of racing experience, and built hundreds of engines. That's why you purchased one. It would be foolish to add "salt & pepper" before at least tasting (getting a baseline) the engine.

Happy that you have the new engine!!

Keith

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Any reason why you chose the melling timing components over the ford components? And its the gt500 exhaust lash adjuster that we need correct?

1 - 20 of 279 Posts